Choking

BigRedRooster

BigRedRooster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any advice on 'chocking'?

My poker's improving. I'm getting into some good places in tournaments. But when I get there I sort of choke. Play too tight. I get scared to lose and as ante and BB raises my chips dwindle. Any advice on dealing with this? Betting styles when you're one of the front runners in a tournie.

Cheers.

Andymac37

Andymac37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any advice on 'chocking'?

My poker's improving. I'm getting into some good places in tournaments. But when I get there I sort of choke. Play too tight. I get scared to lose and as ante and BB raises my chips dwindle. Any advice on dealing with this? Betting styles when you're one of the front runners in a tournie.

Cheers.
This won't help u sorry but I'm at that stage as well. I can't maintain my chips building I think coz if its late in a tournament u get punished for a bad decision with bigger bet sizes blind size and antes.

ssory83

ssory83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice would be, even if you raise the antes and blinds, and you are a chip leader in a tournament, you do not have to worry too much. Try to speculate opponents at the table, steal blinds when you can. Try not to risk too much.

The Boss

The Boss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a frontrunner in a tournament? Well you should be looking for players who are being very timid and bully them out of the blinds and antes. In addition to this, try targeting the medium stacks if you suspect they are reluctant to play against a large stack. It sounds like the thing you need to do is work on stealing pots preflop in the later stages of a tournament.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The good thing about being a big stack is that if a small stack shoves and you call and lose you won't be out. As a big stack I'd be looking to get into battles with smaller stacks with a premium holding and be prepared to go all the way and put them all in or scare them away and take the pot. :)

P

Peter Jankowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People worry about losing there stack late in the tourney, you can't let that be a serious factor, change gears and tighten up a bit if you feel concerned

BigRedRooster

BigRedRooster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting further, another bubble, two nights in a row. Only small stake tournies at the mo.Chased a stupid hand. Still no final table but getting closer. Been playing about a month so still a massive learning curve.
Will never play A10 again :D

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great job man, the key is to learn from your mistakes.

M

mayoroftittycity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Deep breath and never make impulsive decisions. It seems a lot easier than it actually is but practice!

H

Haemophile

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Getting further, another bubble, two nights in a row. Only small stake tournies at the mo.Chased a stupid hand. Still no final table but getting closer. Been playing about a month so still a massive learning curve.
Will never play A10 again :D

ATo only CO, BTN or BB as a close to see a flop

ATs anywhere from MP onwards that is my choice

O

Ofarah

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try not to chase in the late stages. Try to have a push fold mentality and always plan ahead. For example if you raise expect to call a reraise or fold. This way you retain more chips.

BigRedRooster

BigRedRooster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the top 20 for a 36 seat sat. Lose concentration and fall out in two hands. Could have cruised through but stupidly forgot I just had to finish in the placings and was chasing the runaway top 10 or so. I am a muppet and a dofus.

BigRedRooster

BigRedRooster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll not do it again though.

edc1

edc1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
be aggressive with position,some fear is normal to much clouds good judgement,try to relax or just put on some mellow tunes when you hit final table

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PLay your A game and don't be afraid of bubbling. Getting your chips in the best spots more often will lead to more final tables in the long run than playing tight to speak into the money

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Experience will solve your problem. The more you play in these situation the better you will become.