Beardownman

Beardownman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi All,

I was reading an article about checking the nuts and penalties that can occur in tournaments if you do this, and was wondering if any online rooms enforce penalties for this play. Also what do you think of penalties for this play because some of the time the player might not realize he/she has the nuts at the time and checks by mistake.

abwil2

abwil2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
where would checking the nuts ever be penalized? how are you suppoed to get max amount of chips if you bet and they fold where as if you check they may try to bluff into you. I wouldnt play anywhere where they would possibly penalize anyone for checking the nuts!!! Thats so ridiculous its not even laughable

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe the penalty is only if you're on the river and last to act. If you close the action, you can't check back the nuts. Its to prevent collusion and soft play.

Not sure if any sites penalize checking back the nuts.

K

KobeisBack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never check the nuts, seems fishy

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi All,

I was reading an article about checking the nuts and penalties that can occur in tournaments if you do this, and was wondering if any online rooms enforce penalties for this play. Also what do you think of penalties for this play because some of the time the player might not realize he/she has the nuts at the time and checks by mistake.

I have heard of this penalty for live poker tournaments and I think this is intended for higher stakes tournaments. I think poker is all about deception so I personally have no problem with checking the nuts on the flop at least. I think the rule exists to prevent too much deception, but your guess is as good as mine.

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It's not likely that anyone would dictate how you are going to play your hand! Something must have been misunderstood there. If I want to check the nuts or jam 72o it's my sole and absolute prerrogative. My money, my decision.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that the wsop does have that rule, whereby if you check back the nuts on the River, that you would receive a penalty. I'm not sure how I feel about that, because, while I do see their point about not softplaying, because doing that gives off the perception that you are doing that, it does take away a strategy that you might want to employ against an aggressive opponent (ESPECIALLY if you have others that will be acting behind you).

That said, I think you lose a LOT of value by NOT betting the nuts, especially if you are facing a calling station. If you aren't paying attention to other players' tendencies, and are HOPING that they'd call, you're not really observing your opponents closely enough.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As someone else have said, its a rule in many live tournaments, and its only about a situation, where you are closing action and have the pure nuts. In this situation there is no reason to not bet or raise, so if you fail to do so, it is either an honest mistake, or because you are trying to help your opponent. Which is called collusion / soft play.

No online poker rooms allow collusion or soft play, but the ones, where I play, dont have specific rules about not betting or raising the nuts when closing action. What happen instead is, that if you are found guilty of collusion, your account will be closed and your funds confiscated. This however will not happen, just because you make a single honest mistake on the river. Sometimes in online poker checking back can also be the result of simply timing out, so it makes a lot of sense to not penalize it directly.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes to prevent soft play collusion. Online I have not seen these penalties.

O

Oli3579

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like a wierd rule, I've never heard/experience it

F

fortescue1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Penalties ?

Hi All,

I have not hear about penalties un less you slow play all the time then the floor can come tom you and ask you to leave the table .