nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In single raised, heads up pots, I don't see much check raising from the blinds. Virtually all of it is late in a tournament when people check shove all in.

Do you use this play often?

Do people have any advice about increasing your check raises?

I rarely check raise, as I'm unsure when to use this play.

S

sumdumguy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, it depends on the opposing player, have you seen how he was or is he playing? Another thing is the position, depending on your stack, that of the opponent, the minimum bet with reference to BB, all that influences... but I see that you didn't specify if the game is live or online?

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
live or online?
Mainly Cardschat freerolls, + small stakes online.

Even if I satellite into medium, 20 dollar games, you don't see it that much.

People 3bet a lot. When defending with a call, they check call/ check fold.

S

sumdumguy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mostly Cardschat freerolls, + small bets online.

Even if I make a satellite in medium games of 20 dollars, you don't see much of it.

People make 3bets a lot. When they defend with a call, they check call/check fold.
Ok, what you can do is take some time to analyze those plays, copy them into the hand player of the forum and review them, you can share them and then you will see what type of players they are, aggressive, passive, novice, expert, etc... and see their bets, their stack, the blinds, everything!
You'll see that a high-level or at least intermediate player does that a lot, and he bluffs when he knows how to exploit his opponent. Practice a little with fictitious money but with big stakes. 25K for example.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You're correct that the check raise is an often under-used tactic. BB should be checking to the pre-flop raiser almost 100% of the time, but should be check raising with strong 2 pairs, sets, etc. along with strong draws.

_420_420_

_420_420_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Check raising is a very strong play, it is also very polarizing many times. Or it just gives away strength, wait until later streets to use it to get the most value. It is also an under bluffed play in small stakes, many times it will solicit a fold in spots when just betting will not work.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that people under bluff with the check raise. It's a good tactic to have as it strengthens your checking range, checking in the blinds doesn't mean you have a weak hand, if people see you check raising they will treat your checks differently. Sometimes if you have a pair that needs protection it's a good move, as well as with v strong hands and draws.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In single raised, heads up pots, I don't see much check raising from the blinds. Virtually all of it is late in a tournament when people check shove all in.

Do you use this play often?

Do people have any advice about increasing your check raises?

I rarely check raise, as I'm unsure when to use this play.
I have a friend who likes to check shove on cbets on the flop.

He often has fold equity.

But I wonder how often he is doing this with the best hand anyways?

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check raising frequency is way lower in tournaments as compared to Cash games. It's mainly done at early stages with Deep stacks and check shove with small stacks at later stages.