Changing strategy.

O

Oldstrings

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I noticed in pokerstars, that you are moved tables frequently. Do you wait a few hands to reestablish a strategy or do you stick to what’s working?

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you mean ? If you mean in tournaments, yes you can be moved from table to table a lot, you cant really just sit there and do nothing while you analyze other players so the best thing is to take notes when you notice something specific about some player or generally if they are reg, recreational, super agressive or whatever. This way next time when you are at the same table with them, you will already have the idea of how they tend to play in certain spots.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Each new table is a fresh slate: they have no idea how you have been playing and you need to continue to pay attention to see how your new table-mates are playing.

Generally when moved I play tight for a little bit (an orbit or two) just until I can see who's loose/tight and aggressive/passive and then I adjust accordingly against those players.

Try to figure out who knows what they're doing and who doesn't and decide the best way to win chips when in a pot with them before getting into spots with them: this player likes to bluff so I'll give them more chances to bluff their chips to me, or this player calls anything that moves so I will wait for a big hand and make large bets.

Good luck! :D

V

VBB112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't go crazy or shutdown at a new table. Since you don't have any history with the new players, just play your regular solid game. Open/3bet with the same cards in the same positions you normally would. (Though they may take your all-in more seriously as a newbie to the table.)

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just play your game, they have to balance and fill tables on all sites. Why spaz or change how you play cause you have been moved tables. Play how you normally play from the moment you sit until the last hand you bust or win the tournament. Afterwards review how you played and make changes for future improvements.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
In a tournament you have to change your strategy for the early middle and late stages. If you don't the blinds will gobble up all your chips.:eek:
Changing tables shouldn't affect what you change. Stack sizes and HUD information on opponents should.

O

Oldstrings

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That’s a great idea. Never thought to take notes. Thanks

What do you mean ? If you mean in tournaments, yes you can be moved from table to table a lot, you cant really just sit there and do nothing while you analyze other players so the best thing is to take notes when you notice something specific about some player or generally if they are reg, recreational, super agressive or whatever. This way next time when you are at the same table with them, you will already have the idea of how they tend to play in certain spots.

That’s a great idea! Never thought of taking notes!

O

Oldstrings

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

Each new table is a fresh slate: they have no idea how you have been playing and you need to continue to pay attention to see how your new table-mates are playing.

Generally when moved I play tight for a little bit (an orbit or two) just until I can see who's loose/tight and aggressive/passive and then I adjust accordingly against those players.

Try to figure out who knows what they're doing and who doesn't and decide the best way to win chips when in a pot with them before getting into spots with them: this player likes to bluff so I'll give them more chances to bluff their chips to me, or this player calls anything that moves so I will wait for a big hand and make large bets.

Good luck! :D[/QUOTE

I agree you have to know who knows what they’re doing. It’s hard though. Sometimes they call with nothing and get lucky on the River, when skilled poker players generally fold?

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

When I am moved to a new table , I try to be more aggresive ,to establish respect, if posible fear, at the new table. Then of course I try to study my opponents to establish a strategy, for this new table.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are egregiously bad plays you can look for... such as, limping in and calling raises over and over, or players who check/call hand after hand (no matter the bet size), these are dead giveaways of inexperienced players.

Good players can make bad plays too - poker is hard.

Every hand is an opportunity to learn, try to figure out why your opponents were making 'a bad call' - maybe they incorrectly believed you bluff more than you do and they thought they might have had the best hand some percentage of the time, maybe they thought if they hit they would get the rest of your chips and thus have implied odds on their calls.

There's a ton of information on any topic you can imagine: practice, learn, and repeat endlessly.

O

Oldstrings

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks!

There are egregiously bad plays you can look for... such as, limping in and calling raises over and over, or players who check/call hand after hand (no matter the bet size), these are dead giveaways of inexperienced players.

Good players can make bad plays too - poker is hard.

Every hand is an opportunity to learn, try to figure out why your opponents were making 'a bad call' - maybe they incorrectly believed you bluff more than you do and they thought they might have had the best hand some percentage of the time, maybe they thought if they hit they would get the rest of your chips and thus have implied odds on their calls.

There's a ton of information on any topic you can imagine: practice, learn, and repeat endlessly.

This is very helpful! Since joining this community, I have found that my game has got both better and more enjoyable.