changing gears ?

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all , i been playing the acr $10 freerolls and getting knocked out in the 20-30s all too regularly, any tips ideas?
Today i was playing well, aggressively when need be, almost on a heater, herein may lie part of the problem, perhaps the aggressive fortuitous play is slightly intoxicating, and getting thru the lower levels , chipping up, high on the leader board (2nd) with 25 people remaining , the i tended to keep the "pedal to the metal " for too long? Looking back at it now i could've changed gear a little, maybe tightened up my range (knowing that other players are seeing the final table, and are adjusting their play? ) , it's a "me thing" for sure, as i have made these miss steps let's say 7 of the last deep runs I've made, only to finish outside the final table, thoughts? Does or did this happen to anyone?

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You should always be aware of your table image. When you were 2nd of 25 and had been playing very aggressively, it would have been a good time to change gears and tighten up. But you are taking the first step in recognizing and analyzing your play. Good luck.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should always be aware of your table image. When you were 2nd of 25 and had been playing very aggressively, it would have been a good time to change gears and tighten up. But you are taking the first step in recognizing and analyzing your play. Good luck.

Thanks so much, will keep pushing, i just had a thought while reading thru your post, i am aware of my table image and how i want it portrayed, but some of the problem might be style of play as well, not loose/tight etc, but consider small ball/big ball poker betting, part of my "aggressiveness " is larger sized bets, that's all well and good but at times i get carried away, i know the temptation partly comes from the blind pressure i know other players are feeling , and we all know that a players hole cards and what they're willing to shove with change value a lot according to blind pressure, because of this i probably under value some opponents and over value my holdings/image and bet too big, whether bluffing or semi or not,
Especially preflop big betting , sometimes I get totally carried away, let's call it "big stack intoxication " :)

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think i got side tracked there , on the small ball/big ball betting, maybe i can try small ball poker when in those good spots (2/25 etc) , and just try take small bites where possible and not try win the whole tourney whilst so many people are left ? Kkkkkkk

J

johnltakacs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's very common to follow a heater and a big stack to your grave. It is crucial to be 100 percent aware of chip stacks when you get to the final three tables if any mtt. Even though you might be 1 or second and in your mind cruise... Unless the chips are way uneven ergo you have 30% +of the chips in play one or two bad calls puts you out. Unless you can afford 3-5 bad calls no need taking unnecessary risks to 'keep your heater going'

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
aggression is better than passivity but you have to adjust your hands more is not easy to get to a final table or be in the top 25 so your game does not seem bad just let the pedal to the bottom is not always good
:)

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
When you take those first couple of nicks, slow down a bit and shorten your ranges, but play the premo hands super agg.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the advice , will definitely keep it in mind, after last night's tourney I realised yet again how easy it is to lead from the front, spent most of last night at the bottom, much harder and riskier , still cashed though so all good