Can't Seem to Win

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the problems I'm having is blowing my stack late on in tournaments. But even when I consider that, I still feel like overall I play well. I have a BB/100 of 24 in tournaments and play TAG. I keep running into situations where people call with hands I am not expecting and then they hit their miracle card(s). Is there something I'm missing as far as feel for the game goes?

B

Blakepc91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments have tons of variance always remember that and make sure your not playing too tight in tournaments also. goodluck

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh I feel your situation, I am in a rut of not winning anything and running into plenty of bad beats. All you can do is keep at it and hopefully strike it big at some point.

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
YES YES, The biggest factor variables for me and range the hands of players. If you managed to distinguish the range of hands of these players and see the style of play or tendencies, you WILL have less chance of losing to these varieables on the long run specially at the end of tournaments. Good Luck!!!

R

RiverKing422

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

yes this happens alot and that the new age of poker, they feel as if they can suck out a couple times they can get ahead, but people like that will lose everything in the long run, keep your head up and keep playing great

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As long as you are having success and are able to adjust your play appropriately for your situation, I wouldn't change anything. It's a bit ironic, but good players are the ones who hurt the most from bad beats. If you are playing well, you are going to be getting as many of your chips into the pot when you have the advantage. So, naturally you are most likely going to get knocked out from (1) a bad beat or (2) a cooler. Heck, it just happened to me in my last tournament. I called an all-in with KK against QT on Q high flop. Of course, the river card was a T, knocking me out not too far from the bubble. In her book, Annie Duke says that you should be happy when you get a bad beat because it means you made the correct decision and the opponent just got lucky.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep on playing and improving, and make the most of getting the best finish at final tables.

dzemer

dzemer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is poker. There always be a bad decisions and someone always need to end tournament before bubble.
I had that kind of situations many times but ive never gived up. Most of my opponents had luck playing with 3-9o etc. agaist my high pocket pairs. Never give up, karma is a b***h :D

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't do anything about that, but i don't think tag play is winning tactics on tournaments... Except maybe on realy low buyins

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play tournaments with fewer people there, less variance.

Alaercio da Rocha

Alaercio da Rocha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Where are the free ACR tournaments?

I do not know if it's a problem on my PC but the $ 10.00 and $ 50.00 free ACR tournaments do not show up for me anymore. Anybody know what happened?

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Professionals develop intuition that makes them drop a couple of aces and go for it with a couple of twos.They read the cards from your eyes and hands.Not everyone can.

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Was in a tourney the other day and stayed on same table for quite some time. I watched one guy play almost every hand. Clearly he didn't get the memo, but I watched his stack grow and grow. Ahhh but then, he went all in and was all out. So play your way, if you think you played great, then eventually it will work out. I am still amazed at some players always winning and in big money. Maybe I just dont see the times they dont win, but still watching someone win in the top 3, three times in one week is amazing.

P

pacatatu22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
just to say hello!

first day in cardschat

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Don't worry about it as it happens to us all. Yes there will be time a bigger stack than your will call with 63o and crack you big pair but in the long term you will win out. Also 24 tournament is not a very big sample size.

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's good to hear this is pretty normal. Thanks for the support and advice. Definitely helpful!

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck for 60% at the end of the game instead of 20% early in the game. This means you have to play with good cards to hope to win and reach the final table.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hello
For all you know finally it’s destiny!!!
If you have to win your AA will flop a set.
If you have to lose your AA will lose to a KK hitting a set.

That’s Poker and that’s why they talk about poker gods.:):D

Ian the Fish

Ian the Fish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you cannot mentally handle the relatively long swings of not even cashing for months - try cash games. They are great fun + it is much easier to track your progress and mistakes.

As for tournaments:
1) be patient
2) make decisions that you are comfortable living with, and
3) stick to your bankroll management structure!

Good luck!

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the problems I'm having is blowing my stack late on in tournaments. But even when I consider that, I still feel like overall I play well. I have a BB/100 of 24 in tournaments and play TAG. I keep running into situations where people call with hands I am not expecting and then they hit their miracle card(s). Is there something I'm missing as far as feel for the game goes?

I found that if I'd made use of all the freerolls I could find at one time (Multi tabling) Like party poker having 3-4 freerolls at same time chances were better..

Playing that many I noticed 1 or two tables would go well while i was busted out of the others...

Chances are chances and each time you play is just chance to throw your chips away...lol You play tight so you should have a better chance than 1/3rd of the others...

What I mean is the less hands I play the more chance i have of reaching the final table (I notice) sounds Crazy right? Totally counter intuitive to the concept "you got to be in it to win it"...

I played a $1 buy in game the other day... I very nearly crashed and burned a few times but i realized i was reaching to hard and too far "prying for my pretty good looking cards to hit" but I tightened right up... towards the last 1/4 of the tournament i hardly played any hands at all just waiting for my opponents to bust each other out...

It was the best move I'd made... at the end last three players remaining and it was just like a spin and go, One in Three Chance of Winning...

I had the most luckiest break when going head to head and all in with my King something against his Ace something I Hit My King and that was it...

I felt bad ohhh so bad because that must of hurt, losing a $109 MTT Ticket on lucky break... I felt much better after...

There are Poker Gods and they have a sick sense of humor...

You will win bud, at some point... even a blind squirrel will find a nut at some point...

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

First of all, I have no idea how or why you are calculating winnings in Tournaments with bb/100 when that is a clear cash game stat!

You can measure your MTT game by looking at how often you get ITM, and what your Return Of Investment (ROI) is...

As far as blowing stack late it usually comes to being over-aggressive!
Small jabs, small punches, needling, trying to steal pots pre-flop, that is your game strategy with a big stack in late stages of the tournament.

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, I have no idea how or why you are calculating winnings in Tournaments with bb/100 when that is a clear cash game stat!

You can measure your MTT game by looking at how often you get ITM, and what your Return Of Investment (ROI) is...

As far as blowing stack late it usually comes to being over-aggressive!
Small jabs, small punches, needling, trying to steal pots pre-flop, that is your game strategy with a big stack in late stages of the tournament.

I'm not calculating winnings, I'm calculating quality of play. By comparing BB/100 to ev bb/100 you can see how well you are getting your hands in.

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read books. Not to many people win very often. Name recognition really helps once you win a big tourney.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That doesn't take into account Anties

I'm not calculating winnings, I'm calculating quality of play. By comparing BB/100 to ev bb/100 you can see how well you are getting your hands in.

I'm pretty sure that calculation isn't useful nor accurate because it doesn't take into account anties, and the AMOUNT of anties during each hand played.

Better to use the calculation mentioned above.