Call all in or not?

G

GSMTH

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Let me know your thoughts on following situation:

You're playing for 1 of 7 tickets to a medium game.
Depending on your finishing position, the ticket is more valuable.
710 people started and you're down to 22.
Your stack has dwindled to about 9 big blinds and you're on the button, getting dealt A5 suited.
A big stack in early position (3x you) goes all in pre flop and you know he does that with virtually any pair and even bluffs with some non made hands.
Knowing that you need to stack up urgently in order to survive and get as far as possible, do you call???

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
On the button, not invested, maybe not. In the big blind taking a third of my stack, yes.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't be in a hurry to call. We only have one playing card and hope that the player with the big stack doesn't have an ace.

Liedust

Liedust

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
If I am the big blind I pay without weighing it, in another position no, I expect a better hand. Regards;)

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With such a small chip, A, x also appreciates.

Obviously it would have been better if no one raised in front of you but I still think you have to go all-in. Or you wait for the blinds to eat and go out, say 11, because by then you won't be a factor and happily everyone waits for you to be eaten by the blinds. (But of course you can sit and wait for A, A :icon_sant .)

I would have gone all-in for sure but that was my subjective decision. :cool:

Y

yanslad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was it turbo? Hyper? Regular??... I think the answer depends on a lot of factors.. such as, how does the chip leader has been playing the last hands? When was the last hand you played?
What we need to keep in mind is that even being chip leader they tend to raise with high cards, high suited connector and mid pairs. But in general, I guess I would have folded knowing that A5 is still a marginal hand... Being short stack is not easy, I know.. but I'd rather go all in with any other cards when there's no action before me wishing to not be called (but normally chip leaders will call anyways cuz you are short stack)

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A5s, no. With 9BB, you can afford to wait for a top 10% hand (77+, AT+, two suited face cards). You should get a top 10 hand about every round or so.

S

Seltz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A5s on the button

I would snap fold with a big stack I feel like he is opening up every single Ax and the probability he had a better Ace then Ace five is pretty high.

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, I think this is a weak hand to stack off with. I'd rather jam some garbage into the blinds than call an early position jam with an easily dominated ace

G

GSMTH

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A5s, no. With 9BB, you can afford to wait for a top 10% hand (77+, AT+, two suited face cards). You should get a top 10 hand about every round or so.

I had been without a top 10% hand for at least 2 rounds.
I am currently in a bad streak and tend to lose hands like 77 80% of the time.
currently, going 3-4 rounds without top 15% is not abnormal for me.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I had been without a top 10% hand for at least 2 rounds.
I am currently in a bad streak and tend to lose hands like 77 80% of the time.
currently, going 3-4 rounds without top 15% is not abnormal for me.

I feel what you are saying and was in that position tonight. I remembered my post, and waited almost three rounds for a good hand. I shoved and nobody called. Next hand was even better and I doubled up. I built that under 8BB into a third place finish (in the CC ACR freeroll). The cards finally came the third hour.

mmt poker is a game of patience and position. Wait for a spot and play aggressively.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ive played the A5 many times with success, but at that point with so many rounds to go, Id wait for a better hand..

V

valts102

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will wait for a bit better hand

G

GSMTH

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you all for your reactions!
After reading all of them and thinking about it, I believe indeed I should wait for a slightly better hand.