Buy in strategy

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do sit and go regs here have a strategy for their buy-ins to maximize profit and minimize risk? I play sit and go on pokerstars PA and unfortunately, there are not a lot of games offered and they are all 6 max turbo. What I will often do is buy in a $10 and $20 at the same time.
In these tourneys since they only pay 2 places and the prize pool is not very large, your goal is to cash every time. So I try to at the very least break even. If I have won the 10 dollar buy in for $36, I may take some chances more so than if I had busted out of the first one. For example calling an all in as only a slight favorite, or making a big semi-bluff if I think it will be successful a large percent of the time- ITM aprox 40% of the time. This has worked very well for me.

I can only play on my mobile so I cannot play more than 2 tournaments at a time. Maybe some of you will play a large field tournament and some small sit and go's at the same time? The smaller sit and go's will have a lot less variance, so it's important to blend some of those in, if that is important to you.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even on the big pokerstars.com site most of the SnG regs play multible different buyins and often also formats. So do I, although I will sometimes try to keep an entire session in the same format.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there must always be strategy and bank control.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
There is an absolutely exact bankroll formula that works for all poker formats.
You yourself can choose what risk of ruin is acceptable for you, for example 5%, 2%, 1%, ...

B = (D / 2m) * ln (1 / R)

B - bankroll
D - variance
R - risk of ruin

For example, for a cash games with a winrate of 7.5BB / 100 and a variance of 100^2 BB^2 / 100, choosing a ruin risk of 5%, we get:

B = (100 * 100/15) * 3 = 2000BB

Everyone knows the rule of 20 stacks...

You can also calculate for SnG, knowing your winrate and standard deviation over a long distance.