Bubbling at final table

M

Myar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I folded AAs to get to bubble and win a ticket.

I have as well, many times. I used to play a lot of sats on PS. Looks like I have played a bit over 700 MTT's total, and have 140 ties. All of those for tickets into a different game.

Wish I could still play there. sigh... Made good money off the sats, then sell the T$. Easiest money ever. 2.20 into $11, 12 into 215, and 22 into 55. Over and over. Not bad for a micro cash and MTT player.

Last edited:
naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're constantly bubbling than you're already better than majority of players, as bubbling Is really hard enough, and since you're speaking about FT's than that makes you even more special.

So the only real advice I can give you, Is too keep doing that which you're already doing as It seems too be working (Granted the results aren't coming as you'd have hoped for), yet you are still making deep runs. So don't worry about results as that than will lead to thinking in terms of results and not in terms of +EV or -EV and that will hinder you as a player and stop you from growing.

So figure out why you can play well early on and make deep runs yet keep failing to cross that line and you'll be ok

L

Lexxx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have as well, many times. I used to play a lot of sats on PS. Looks like I have played a bit over 700 MTT's total, and have 140 ties. All of those for tickets into a different game.

Wish I could still play there. sigh... Made good money off the sats, then sell the T$. Easiest money ever. 2.20 into $11, 12 into 215, and 22 into 55. Over and over. Not bad for a micro cash and MTT player.

That´s a nice tip. I will try that! Mtt is boring me.

M

Myar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That´s a nice tip. I will try that! Mtt is boring me.

Try it out, if you can lay down AA close to the bubble and your good on chips, like the post I replied to you will do more than fine. The 2.20's pay 18% of the players. In those at times I would only play premium hands and open shove. Basically just nit it up for the most part and your good to go if your hands hold. Looking at opr, one day alone I got 11 of these tickets lol. The $22 for $55, 36% got a ticket. Much better play in those though, and those might had been hyper turbos as well, been too long.

Since you say you do not like MTT's.
If you are good at single table tourneys, there are sats if I remember correctly that start off with all the players evenly distributed among 6? player tables, and each winner goes to the last table, and then you play there and the first, and most times second player gets a $215 ticket, 11.70 to buy in I think it was. The number of players at the table may be off, however these are good for any good STT player. Thinking back, those might had been 81 players, play a full ring table, then those 9 go to the last table and 3 get a ticket. Look into whichever ones they were if you are good at STT's though, great value for the level of play many of those players made when I could play there. I remember some tables that was not full when started so unsure now lol. Could had been tables that was not full when started was a MTT type tourney. Actually thinking more, I think the winners from all the tables went to the second table, and the last table was full ring. So would be # of players/9 = # of tables, then # of players/# of tables at the first table. Pretty sure that was it. So sometimes would only have 4-5 at the first table. You can watch the other tables while playing or waiting for them to end, and have a idea of those players once you got to the last table too.

For the op, I could not count how many times I saw someone call off with AA when they could had folded out and made it, yet lost all the chips they had and was out. Too many times. If you have the chips to let everyone else bust, fold every hand. I sometimes sat out, played other tables (multitabled anyway) and waited for the table to pop back up when it was over to go collect my T$.

Last edited:
L

Lexxx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try it out, if you can lay down AA close to the bubble and your good on chips, like the post I replied to you will do more than fine. The 2.20's pay 18% of the players. In those at times I would only play premium hands and open shove. Basically just nit it up for the most part and your good to go if your hands hold. Looking at opr, one day alone I got 11 of these tickets lol. The $22 for $55, 36% got a ticket. Much better play in those though, and those might had been hyper turbos as well, been too long.

Since you say you do not like MTT's.
If you are good at single table tourneys, there are sats if I remember correctly that start off with all the players evenly distributed among 6? player tables, and each winner goes to the last table, and then you play there and the first, and most times second player gets a $215 ticket, 11.70 to buy in I think it was. The number of players at the table may be off, however these are good for any good STT player. Thinking back, those might had been 81 players, play a full ring table, then those 9 go to the last table and 3 get a ticket. Look into whichever ones they were if you are good at STT's though, great value for the level of play many of those players made when I could play there. I remember some tables that was not full when started so unsure now lol. Could had been tables that was not full when started was a MTT type tourney. Actually thinking more, I think the winners from all the tables went to the second table, and the last table was full ring. So would be # of players/9 = # of tables, then # of players/# of tables at the first table. Pretty sure that was it. So sometimes would only have 4-5 at the first table. You can watch the other tables while playing or waiting for them to end, and have a idea of those players once you got to the last table too.

For the op, I could not count how many times I saw someone call off with AA when they could had folded out and made it, yet lost all the chips they had and was out. Too many times. If you have the chips to let everyone else bust, fold every hand. I sometimes sat out, played other tables (multitabled anyway) and waited for the table to pop back up when it was over to go collect my T$.

That´s my point. You are certainly right!

PieterTerAar

PieterTerAar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it's a bad thing that poker isn't your number 1 priority. I recommend stop playing poker fr a few weeks until you get enough motivation. It's hard to win when you don't care if you're winning or not :)

G

gklcap

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is what you got to do sometimes to win or get further in tournament. I haven't had great luck with AA or AK lately they been my Kryptanite those are the hands I been bubbling off of.

If you've been getting your money in with hands like AA, then I don't think you should worry too much. The math says that you WILL win significantly more with this hand than you will lose. You will get sucked out on a few times and it will be pretty deflating, but just remember that you will more times than you will lose.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is like an ocean. You got the ups and downs. Despite our love for the game, as with anything, you gotta do something else for a while to clear your head.

M

Myar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you've been getting your money in with hands like AA, then I don't think you should worry too much. The math says that you WILL win significantly more with this hand than you will lose. You will get sucked out on a few times and it will be pretty deflating, but just remember that you will more times than you will lose.

Sats to other games are played differently in the late stage. You are not playing to win outright, you are playing to tie.

OP, try making just this one change. On the bubble, unless you have the lowest amount of chips, do not play any hands, no matter what you have. That alone gives you a bigger edge than many players.

Last edited:
naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sats to other games are played differently in the late stage. You are not playing to win outright, you are playing to tie.

OP, try making just this one change. On the bubble, unless you have the lowest amount of chips, do not play any hands, no matter what you have. That alone gives you a bigger edge than many players.

Thanks for the tip, I personally don't play Sats often but when I did, I never looked at It In this manner, but looked at It from a P.O.V too knock players out too get into the said Satty, this view of mine has cost me plenty of Satty tickets in the past. So If I do get back Into them than for sure I'll remember this advice

M

Myar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the tip, I personally don't play Sats often but when I did, I never looked at It In this manner, but looked at It from a P.O.V too knock players out too get into the said Satty, this view of mine has cost me plenty of Satty tickets in the past. So If I do get back Into them than for sure I'll remember this advice

If your stack can take the lose and still be ok to get the ticket, then its ok to take the risk. If not, then make the one that has to win chips, win some. Don't risk losing any of yours.

L

Lexxx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That´s my point. You are certainly right!

I forgot to congrat you for the text. It is really good!:cool:. (The text from Miar).

Last edited:
S

Sergei

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't know about you but I personally get to final table a lot harder than him to play for him. Rightly said earlier, you need to remain calm and to not only play with A+К-10 and a weaker but good hands because the cards on the table can be unpredictable.

FaelN

FaelN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is like an ocean. You got the ups and downs. Despite our love for the game, as with anything, you gotta do something else for a while to clear your head.

he said everything, you must relax do other things to clear your mind and get ready for the games that are coming

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find myself bubbling fairly regularly too. I take solace in the fact that I was making the right decision when I have bubbled. For instance, playing a freeroll in ACR last week I was in 9th place with 14 remaining. The massive chip leader was going all in every single hand and most hands were folding every single hand hoping to fold their way into the money, I was dealt KK in the CO and the bully was in the BB and of of course called my shove with Q7o. I felt I made the right decision because doubling up would have launched me into the top 5 and I would have been in great position to win the thing, so even though I lost when he flopped a 7 and caught a Q on the river, I was satisfied with my performance. I may have been able to fold my way to the money, but I am in it to win it. A similar situation occurred just a few nights before, except I was in 7th place with 11 left (paid out 10) when I caught JJ in the SB. The button raised (as he had most hands when no one had come into the pot), I re-raised (as I had a lot of hands), BB folded. Button 3 bets (but he had done this every single time I re-raised him in this situation). I expected him to fold when I pushed because he had everytime I pushed (although he had gotten all in with various suited connectors against other players and seemed to be willing to play suited cards in any situation, which turned out to be true on this hand). He called with 74s and flopped middle pair and caught two pair on the turn. I felt I made the right decision so the fact that I was bubble boy in that tournament didn't bother me (ok..it did..I was a lil pissed and may have said a few choice words about his hand selection...shrugs..it happens).
The point is that as long as your making good decisions, you should not worry about going out on the bubble. Freeroll poker is probably the hardest game to play because there are so many bad players making bad decisions that work out for them. The yardstick is: Am I making the right decision? If you can honestly answer yes (and this doesn't always mean just getting it all in good, it applies to whether you are making the right folds or the right bluffs, ect.) then continue playing the game how you are. I tried NLOP a few years ago (I'm pretty sure that's what it was..are they the ones who used to have the tourneys for prizes such as merch and cruises and whatnot? If they are then it's the one I am thinking of). I had some success there but unless they have drastically changed, there are not a lot of good players on there. I would recommend going to other sites and trying their freerolls and see how you stack up against other competition, plus you can actually build a bankroll to move up in competition. There are plenty of sites that offer free no deposit bankrolls through third parties. Here is one: http://www.yourpokercash.com/addby/YPCnodepositbankrolls

Good luck!

S

Sergei

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Mathematics is also sometimes lying. Maybe you have AA is good as I have for example with them, more defeats than victories.

M

Myar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mathematics is also sometimes lying. Maybe you have AA is good as I have for example with them, more defeats than victories.

Over a large sample, the numbers are exactly correct. Smaller samples have varience, so it can go up or down a bit, the smaller the sample, the greater it may vary and stray from what it is supposed to be. With a large enough sample, it will not vary at all. A few extra loses, or a few extra wins wont affect it due to so many times.

CharlieWest

CharlieWest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're final tabling on NLOP, then you're doing really well IMO. You have to 6-max it through a field of hundreds and make it to the top 3-5 to get ITM. Most live tournaments are going to pay the top 10% but you've got to hit the top 2% or better usually to get paid on NLOP. And I find the play to be much better than the freerolls on sites like ACR and FF. Hopefully you've gotten your mojo back and are building the bankroll up on the site. :)