Bubble time on small blind with Kings

B

Bagarazzi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, here’s the situation that I have faced yesterday, need suggestion from you guys.

Blind 500/1000 with ante
60 places cash and less than 70 players left

Opponent (59k) open 3.5 bb on CO, fold to me (51k) on small blind with Pair Kings, as always 3 bet with 12bb.

And then he snap jam, my read is AK or middle pair he had and try to push on bubble time. And of course he had the rockets!

So in this situation both us have healthy stack, should I considering fold to 4 bet jam? I know it’s probably 50 50 question, but still want to hear your thinking. Thank you!

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
unless they're nitty nits and only 4bet jam aces, i'm never folding kings in this spot.

being near the bubble doesn't matter either. you don't play just to make the money. you win in these spots and run deep enough times when your kings hold to make up for any cashes you miss out on.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys, here’s the situation that I have faced yesterday, need suggestion from you guys.

Blind 500/1000 with ante

Opponent (59k) open 3.5 bb on CO, fold to me (51k) on small blind with Pair Kings, as always 3 bet with 12bb.

And then he snap jam, my read is AK or middle pair he had and try to push on bubble time. And of course he had the rockets!

So in this situation both us have healthy stack, should I considering fold to 4 bet jam? I know it’s probably 50 50 question, but still want to hear your thinking. Thank you!

This is just unfortunate and I am also going broke in this situation.

It's not 50/50 - I want him to jam.

Better luck next time !

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
man in my situation I analyzed if the tournament pays itm well and if it was worth it I pushed all in giving strength to my KK and if he had AA or AK he would increase his bet. right or even with QQ JJ he would do that.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can not reset KK. In a bubble, you only need to risk the stack with AA. You need to be a Jedi for this.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That an unfortunate bit of luck there, especially after probably playing for a few hours. I’d be definitely calling in this situation with KK. The vast majority of the time you will be far ahead. There’s a good chance he’s trying to push you off the pot thinking you won’t risk all your chips this close to the bubble. Him having JJ or QQ or even something like AQ is very likely. Him jamming there actually makes AA less likely. You’d fold most hands and he wouldn’t get all your chips like he would if he just called your 3 bet. Just my opinion. You did right and better luck next tournament.

SwaggyJ

SwaggyJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Blind 500/1000 with ante

In my opinion it's not a 50/50 decision It's more of a 95/5 easy call. Its unfortunate he woke up with AA but that's the only hand of the 1,326 possible starting hands that beat you.

Think about what I just said...possibility of AA is 1 of 1,326 starting hands.. Easy call imo and if KK holds, you got a nice stack to take down the tournament. Hope this helps!

#Moneyline99/SwaggyJ

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on how important the cash is to you but I don't think I can come up with many reasons to fold this. To consider it the player would have to be a less than 10 VPIP player and only then would I even consider it much less actually fold the Kings. I do think we can think about this spot logically and say the villain knows the bubble is near too and should not want to risk their stack unless they have a very strong holding. When they 4 bet jam us I think his range is JJ+ and AK suited. I dont even think he is re jamming with AK off here. So yes, when we see this we know we could be up against aces but we also could be up against JJ, QQ and AK suited all of which we have destroyed. We are just beating too much of his range here to be folding. Bad luck that this happened and of course had to happen right on the bubble to make us feel extra screwed.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Situations when there are KK vs AA, QQ vs KK and similar coolers are not so common that they are careful to play or even think about discarding cards in response to aggression from the opponent.

There are unpleasant moments when You are just unlucky, but despite this you should always stick to +equity solutions.:)

Slav4obaby

Slav4obaby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You play for money and building stack is the biggest way to win more money so I will snap call him everytime

tuku222

tuku222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to risk I would do it with some higher pair !!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Blind 500/1000 with ante

Sounds like a fine spot to get all in and just a case of bad luck that they both had AA and that you didn't hit your K

When they can get in with a range of JJ+, AK, there's no way you should be thinking about folding Kings.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
In your position i don't 3bet here, both of you are deep stacked +50bb, just call and see the flop. if an Ace hit it's an easy fold. if it's an uncordinate board just check raise the flop to get the information. You just give him the oportunity to shutdown the action preflop and risking your stack near the bubble.

swerdnase

swerdnase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is not a 50/50 decision for me—its like a 100/0. You just got cold decked. It happens.

S

smurferoni

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Blind 500/1000 with ante

I feel this is a snap call for me, yes we might run into aces a few times, but we dominate AK, QQ, JJ which are all plausible hands to be shoving with.

As it's not even on the absolute bubble I think im calling this close to 100% unless I have a read that he's just playing AA this way.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion there are only two cases when I roll AA or KK preflop - this is satellite if you have enough chips !!! And (in some cases) the final table - if in front of you more than two players went all-in !!!

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't fold it. People pay to much attention to the bubble. Usualy last places are paid very low so your goal with medium stack should be to accumulate as much chips to aim at winning the tournament. I would consider playing very safe with very small stack which gives me slim chances to come back and in that case even small money would be nice. With a stack like that your goal should be to agressively cumulate more and more chips. If you are out with such a stack it doesn't really matter if you take no money or just very small amount because your equity at that stage was much higher anyway.

Let me explain that with some numbers. Let's say the first place pays 1000$, 10th pays 100$ and the bubble pays 1$. You have 10th stack so you should expect on average to earn 100$ from this tournament. But if you manage to be 9th or 8th you would gain another 50$ or so. Now you want to fold KK which means significantly change the gamestyle and reduce your equity just to secure 1$? Playing this way will probbably move your expected position to 11th, 12th or so so you virtually lose 10$ maybe 20$ to seucre that 1$. This is a big mistake which fortunately people make. You should exploit that playing agressively and stealing a lot of pots from scared players who want to secure just that 1$.

In a tournament with normal payout structure it's never profitable to secure some small earnings. Alway play to win that tournament at all costs. I would only consider folding KK if I had like 3BB , only few people left to blow the bubble and with my slim chances to win anything at all, just waiting for the lowest pay could be profitable at this stage. But still I doubt I would fold them...

Last edited:
D

DancingNancie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People will push bigger stacks more frequently on bubble to exploit players just trying to cash. I do not fold KK in this spot and it is just a cooler that he happened to wake up with AA here. Say he has QQ and you hold, you have 100 bbs going into bubble bursting and an opportunity to build towards final table. Gotta accumulate chips and this is a great spot to do that most of the time.

J

Julez97

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No definitely not a fold. Unless you think he ONLY ever has AA here and never rips it in with KK, QQ, AK, or possibly just an exploitative bluff knowing you will be tighter on the bubble. Besides, you are talking about a min cash, vs a chance to build a big stack and move into position to make a final table.

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think you can really consider folding there. It probably just feels way worse since you were close to the money, but that hand went down exactly how most would hope it would. You just got unlucky that he had aces.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will never fold with a pair of kings, even QQ, I will not fold in such a situation

ASHUKPOK

ASHUKPOK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Blind 500/1000 with ante

Hi!

I always go to raise with KK in this situation and call a re-raise or all-in, regardless of the bubble.:rolleyes:

N

NicoVlopez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It actually depends on the type of player in question and their stats. But in general, I would call the allin without any doubt. There is not much to think about, and what you have to take into account is if our objective is to do ICM or if we are going for the tournament. It is a spot that is favorable to us in most cases and in the case of winning, we would be in a very good position to face the final phase of the tournament.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bubble or not, with KK it’s all in, I wait and want this kind of situation. Sometimes we lose here, but most of the time we will have really nice stack for the final table, and that is what we want.