BUBBLE PLAY with low stack

V

vinest

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to say I disagree. When you're down to 10 BBs or less, you can't afford to slow play. Nor should you want, you have to maximize in that position. Just because it didn't go in your favor a few times does not mean its EV negative in the long run.

If I know that I go into the prize area, I'll wait. But, if I am not in the bonus area, of course I will try to continue to play. it's probably a strategy my game and my experience

Frontiere

Frontiere

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this i like

When it's not Hand-for-Hand, I recommend taking a very long (basically as much time as possible) time every time your to act. This will make you lose less chips than people in other tables, as you play less hands, and therefore lose less blinds and ante (if there is ante). So, if you do think that you do not have enough chips to survive, I recommend allining early position with pockets (6 and above), higher suited connectors (10-9 and above), and maybe QJ and above. If you late position. And, there are 0-2 callers, you can allin like any suited connectors, all pockets, and any hand from 98 and above. This is because the value will be worth in as the pot would probably hold a good amount of chips. If you get a caller, you have a reasonable chance of doubling up + some extra chips. If everyone folds, you gets some extra chips, without having to risk an allin. These are only suggestions though. It's your choice what you do. I am no professional, or anything. Have a nice day!
This comment i like most , seems like a good advice

J

JamesMoroski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is nothing you can do in that situation

All you have to do is wait for a premium hand and shove thats your only move with 13bbs or less you shove or you fold DO NOT LIMP unless you have AA and are trying to trap

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This seems to work for me. When the SB/BB (antes) equal 1/3 of my stack, I'm looking to shove. If I'm on the button and it's been folded to me, I'm in with any two cards. If I'm earlier in the hand and it's been folded to me, I'm looking for suited connectors to shove with. I don't want to be caught dominated. Rarely will I make a call that will put me all in. Good luck!
http://livelowlimitpoker.blogspot.com/

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This seems to work for me. When the SB/BB (antes) equal 1/3 of my stack, I'm looking to shove. If I'm on the button and it's been folded to me, I'm in with any two cards. If I'm earlier in the hand and it's been folded to me, I'm looking for suited connectors to shove with. I don't want to be caught dominated. Rarely will I make a call that will put me all in. Good luck!
http://livelowlimitpoker.blogspot.com/

Seriously? You really wait all the way down to an M-Factor of 3 ??? Is that because you want to min-cash?

M

mmbq22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
look for stack sizes behind u, if your Hand is on the bottom of your shove range, look for other shortys in the blinds and how they Play.

Frontiere

Frontiere

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
satelites

Maybe if you dont pay entries in full price if you in bubble is worth to wait for cash in and no play at all. Couple days ago I play sattelite ( 1,10 USD ) to 109 USD tournament , and I won entries to 109 tournament. I reach the bubble ( 220 place was 190 USD ) and when only 250 players left I was have only 4 BB , and I was wait to get in money. That was hard but i made it , and cash it ,190 USD with only 1 dollar investment.When only 228 players left I was folding KK , and i was right because 2 players are better in that hand ( ufffff ) . A big smile on my face after that hand was over , he he he....:rolleyes:

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a similar situation often.
I suggest two options:
1. 5-10BB - all in almost any hand.
2. Wait until the end.

S

Swickster007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really matters a lot at how your table is playing. If there are some real aggressive players who keep shoving, then I would sit and hope they get knocked/or knock someone out. If everyone is playing conservative, then the ball is in your court. Try and use the positions to your advantage and be as patient as you can. Late positions with pocket pairs need to be played, I would shove these. But there's no definite answer to short stacked on the bubble, someone has to be knocked out....

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, on the bubble many people fold hands that they would definitely play on a normal stage. If you find yourself short stacked, I'd suggest stealing the blinds every time. Opponents may find you are stealing, but they will still be scared.

D

DVFreewill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Under 10 BB's you can't be afraid to shove with premium hands.

Frontiere

Frontiere

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont think so

Well, on the bubble many people fold hands that they would definitely play on a normal stage. If you find yourself short stacked, I'd suggest stealing the blinds every time. Opponents may find you are stealing, but they will still be scared.

many times if I was button and nobody raise before >I raise , but if BB have 5 times more chips then you they will be call with enything . Thats true, and have feeleing that everytime I have short stack every player in front of me have more, a lot more chips and they call with everithing

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so much bad advice
dont wait til you're so small stacked,
dont try and limp to min cash
took me a long time to learn (ty CC)
play to win, push wider ranges when smaller stacked,
Id happily bubble 10games to have 1 DEEP run for large payout
if your playing scared or to min cash whats the point?

buble far as I know the time is right to folders most if not premium hands (AA , KK.QQ ) but it would have to be very careful for that depends on the position in which you play as opponents play but preferably it is good to avoid allin that will most likely be beaten by a much larger stak
wrong
premium hands (AA, KK.QQ) do not always win, if you have a small stack and premium pair in your hands, never go all-in! this is my bitter experience.
really wrong, stick around the forum, theres hope for you yet
The easiest way to answer this question is the simplest.
DON'T GET SHORT STACKED.
When you get down to 20bbs, you should be making plans on how to maintain 20bbs. 15bbs is a nice size reshove stack. You can't just let the blinds and antes eat you up. You have to get it in there. If you are playing real tight, you might get respect. Pick an aggro guy and 3bet shove on him. He's not going to want to switch stacks with you. Find nits that will let you steal there blinds. If you're always hitting the bubble with 5-10 bbs, especially 5. Just find a spot, a hand you like. double click the all in button. turn your screen off and go make a sandwich/smoke a cigarette. Turn it back on 2 minutes later and see if you're still alive
Have to start making plans in the tournament long before you get to the bubble and short stacked.
I'm learning a lot and still grinding the micro tournaments, trying out different strategies, ideas, etc. Just have fun. Remember, it's only a $1
+1
in any case it is better to go allin with nothing than to let the blinds eat up your stack. Join the game before you even when no one came.
right
wait pocket pairs to push or Ace with high kicker sometimes you can push with Ax from very late position
even wider range if necessary

easiest way to not bust only go all in with aces :wink:
wrong
I agree with the option of don't get short stacked getting down to around 15-20 blinds you should be picking positions to steal etc.

If the table folds round to you and you're on the button and you have 78os for example shove it even if you get called you will still have a 30% chance of hitting if you have 2 live cards and the odds on them having a monster hand to call with are less likely.

So pick your moments to steal blinds and ante's etc and stop yourself from getting so short.
right
You still need to strategize. You need to recognize and be aware of the stacks around you and who you are shoving into.

For example, if the person in the BB has a massive stack (80+ BB) and may not be worried about losing 8 BB's. Is this the kind of guy who is going to call you with almost anything? Then shoving ATC may not be the best move.
Of course the counter to that is you really need to double up, so you WANT and NEED someone to call you - so this same situation could be heaven sent with the right two cards - and they don't have to be as great as you might think.

On the other hand there is pretty good fold equity in attacking the medium stacks. They are going to think twice about losing 1/3 or more of their stack.
Again, you want to double up, but if you are not getting cards you at least need to try to buy another orbit by stealing the blinds - but look for the best opportunities to do so.
yes
All you have to do is wait for a premium hand and shove thats your only move with 13bbs or less you shove or you fold DO NOT LIMP unless you have AA and are trying to trap
dont ever limp AA there-3x or shove
Seriously? You really wait all the way down to an M-Factor of 3 ??? Is that because you want to min-cash?
+1 shove sooner, go big or go home
Maybe if you dont pay entries in full price if you in bubble is worth to wait for cash in and no play at all. Couple days ago I play sattelite ( 1,10 USD ) to 109 USD tournament , and I won entries to 109 tournament. I reach the bubble ( 220 place was 190 USD ) and when only 250 players left I was have only 4 BB , and I was wait to get in money. That was hard but i made it , and cash it ,190 USD with only 1 dollar investment.When only 228 players left I was folding KK , and i was right because 2 players are better in that hand ( ufffff ) . A big smile on my face after that hand was over , he he he....:rolleyes:
wrong, shove kk unless you're happy to forever mincash:rolleyes:
its kinda true, stack size and villain tendencies a factor

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't let yourself become short stacked. I like that. While we would all like to lead a tournament from start to finish, the reality is that, stuff happens. Your aces get cracked, some guy hits a runner runner straight on you, or someone jams all in with pocket 4s and rivers a set. So the question is, once you do find yourself short stacked on the bubble, how do you play it?

For me, it’s pretty much all-in or fold. Once I decide that I’m going to play all-in or fold as soon as I get below a certain number of blinds, then that’s it. I’m going to play all-in or fold until I’m back above that mark. To switch up because I just got dealt a monster hand seems suspicious to me. The one thing that might change is my hand selection, depending on when I go into short stack mode. Obviously, the larger my stack is when I start shoving, the more my all-ins have to be respected. So my shoving range is likely to get tighter as my stack grows smaller, as I am more likely to be called, down to a certain point. At some point you’re just going to have to pick a hand and go with it.

Frontiere

Frontiere

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
THX

A BIG BIG thanks to Micalupagoo , so great advices from you , and feedback abut others players post. Great !! Thanks again:marchmell

Last edited:
intents09

intents09

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yes, this can be true for many players. The ultimate goal, as has been stated, is to play to win, and not get too short of a stack(make moves before you're too short). But as you explained, when you satellite into a big game and the min cash is a large profit on your original buyin, a lot of players will try to sneak in there rather than play the QQ or KK or even sometimes AA. I'd like to think it depends on your bankroll and whether that min cash is worth folding until you're out or worth risking not reaching by trying for more chips and a deeper run.

In most tourneys, however, where you've paid the full buy in price, a min cash is usually not worth stalling over and folding to, unless you're like 2-3 spots away and you were JUST crippled, then you may just try to at least make it.

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I allways ask myself how to play with low stake ( about 5 - 10 BB ) in bubble ?? Many times I go out because I dont have enough chips to survive , but lots of time in all in I was busted from bigger stack on table because they call my all in with anything. Any sugestion ?????:D

That's tough but you should really know how far you are from the bubble. If you are real damn close, just keep folding. When you past that, shove with any ace or king with a descent kicker.

Frontiere

Frontiere

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
15 places

Think also when you need 10-15 players to go out - just fold fold fold ( its probably 5-10 minutes ) and you in cash , then attack to final table :bom:

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think also when you need 10-15 players to go out - just fold fold fold ( its probably 5-10 minutes ) and you in cash , then attack to final table :bom:

No, you need playing on final table, not only to win 2-3 buy-in.... Before bubble many players playing very tight and you need steal them, if not do this, you will lose a lot of value and your stack will be so small, and when started ITM zone , you always will get 2-3 callers when you shove and most of the time you bust out...

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so much bad advice
dont wait til you're so small stacked,
dont try and limp to min cash
took me a long time to learn (ty CC)
play to win, push wider ranges when smaller stacked,
Id happily bubble 10games to have 1 DEEP run for large payout
if your playing scared or to min cash whats the point?

This ^^

W

wowasenotrusov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in any case it is better to go Ollin than let the blinds eat up your stack.

K

Karametric

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometime, very very rarely, it is okay to play for in the money. it depends on the tournament payout structure. I've recently been playing 25dollar freerolls at fullflush. 20th place pays the same as 4th, and 1st is only 4 dollars vs 1. it makes sense here to play to get in the money because the payout structure is so flat.

But most of the time, you are better off trying to get stacked go deep. sometimes it is very hard not to get short stacked, and i have a big problem here. but near the bubble it tends to be an allin fest most of the time. if you are short stacked you gotta make moves and you can't wait for premiums. any pocket pairs are good candidates, as are Ax if nobody is in before you (and probably about A9+ if somebody is.) stack size is extremely important here. steal from medium, double from big and short.

Y

YouPay4MyCrack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I allways ask myself how to play with low stake ( about 5 - 10 BB ) in bubble ?? Many times I go out because I dont have enough chips to survive , but lots of time in all in I was busted from bigger stack on table because they call my all in with anything. Any sugestion ?????:D

You just have to wait for all in opportunities and pray at that point lol.. Try to play more aggressive before you're short stack to avoid this scenario.

jayyy27

jayyy27

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with not getting short stacked. Always have a stack strong enough that the bully of the table isn't going to snap you off with junk. Your shoving around 15 BB's and doing it in position. It makes sense because you don't want to have a lot of hands to play out by shoving early and having someone wake up with a hand. If the blinds wake up then it's unfortunate. Don't let yourself get to the point where you get AA and 5 bb's is an easy call for someone else and they get cracked!!