Bubble boy

LingCod907

LingCod907

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Have a question here. During a tournament I do good. Either near the top or at the at the middle of the pack. I get good playable cards work my position accordingly. However, it seems after break and when rebuys are done. This is when a long cold drought comes and knowing the players at the table and cards in hand. I am handcuffed to only on move to fold allot. Causing me to make the final table allot of times near the bottom in chips.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how they worked this problem out?
Is there something I am doing wrong?
People I play with range from donkey to good.

Last edited:
B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
We can all have cold stretch like this at times. I think something to consider is that at the stage of the tournament you're referring to after break and rebuys and before the final table, many players are in the same boat as you. Blinds are going up and many others are in the all-in or fold mindset when they get to 10 BBs or less. You, even with a healthy stack, might be in the same mindset but not getting the cards to go your way and you find yourself making the final table near the bottom of the standings. For a solution, you might want to consider the range you play in the later stages of a tournament and try to find situations where you have a good read on your opponents after playing with them for a while or make more aggressive moves in advantageous situations.

LingCod907

LingCod907

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
We can all have cold stretch like this at times. I think something to consider is that at the stage of the tournament you're referring to after break and rebuys and before the final table, many players are in the same boat as you. Blinds are going up and many others are in the all-in or fold mindset when they get to 10 BBs or less. You, even with a healthy stack, might be in the same mindset but not getting the cards to go your way and you find yourself making the final table near the bottom of the standings. For a solution, you might want to consider the range you play in the later stages of a tournament and try to find situations where you have a good read on your opponents after playing with them for a while or make more aggressive moves in advantageous situations.

At the final table if I’m short stack. Many thing depends on my play.
I will open my range however, with that said. It will also depend how players at the table are. Especially big stack. If the big stacks are good players push there stack around on us small stack. I will have to play tight. Against other small stacks I use my wide range.

I have in the past been blinded almost out of tournaments cause no cards. 6/2o, 7/2o K/8s. Examples

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have a question here. During a tournament I do good. Either near the top or at the at the middle of the pack. I get good playable cards work my position accordingly. However, it seems after break and when rebuys are done. This is when a long cold drought comes and knowing the players at the table and cards in hand. I am handcuffed to only on move to fold allot. Causing me to make the final table allot of times near the bottom in chips.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how they worked this problem out?
Is there something I am doing wrong?
People I play with range from donkey to good.

Thank you for posting.

If you are frequently getting to FT even with short stacks after running cold you are doing very well.

The only way to know if there is something you can do to change your results stack size wise is to hand review that stage of the tournament.

You will be looking for missed opportunities where you could have got more value from the best hand. So look at your late stage winning hands and see if you could have bet larger or even shoved and got called and look to see if you should have checked hands to induce bluffs.
A great example is checking turn OOP when we think our V has a draw but will semi bluff it and then we check shove 2x pot to get max value from the draw.

We can also bluff max value big draws by check raising pot+. This means fewer FT finishes but when we do get to FT it is with more chips.

Another key is to do the above when we are between 20-40bb not wait until we are below that. Again we will bust more often and earlier but when we do win it will help carry us to the FT with a bigger stack

Hope this helps

:):)

LingCod907

LingCod907

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for posting.

If you are frequently getting to FT even with short stacks after running cold you are doing very well.

The only way to know if there is something you can do to change your results stack size wise is to hand review that stage of the tournament.

You will be looking for missed opportunities where you could have got more value from the best hand. So look at your late stage winning hands and see if you could have bet larger or even shoved and got called and look to see if you should have checked hands to induce bluffs.
A great example is checking turn OOP when we think our V has a draw but will semi bluff it and then we check shove 2x pot to get max value from the draw.

We can also bluff max value big draws by check raising pot+. This means fewer FT finishes but when we do get to FT it is with more chips.

Another key is to do the above when we are between 20-40bb not wait until we are below that. Again we will bust more often and earlier but when we do win it will help carry us to the FT with a bigger stack

Hope this helps

Great advice. I normally enter around under 20BB. It sucks to fight my way up. It’s like a salmon swimming up stream. My decision to fold is right as the card that are flopped don’t connect with me. It is frustrating.
I love this game and hate this game in same breath.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This should be taken lightly, because this is poker. There is no player who makes the final table in every tournament. Just analyze your game for errors after the session.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great advice. I normally enter around under 20BB. It sucks to fight my way up. It’s like a salmon swimming up stream. My decision to fold is right as the card that are flopped don’t connect with me. It is frustrating.
I love this game and hate this game in same breath.

Thank you for posting

While it is true that folding is a viable tool in tournaments and we will be folding with the greatest frequency and you may be playing perfectly situational poker by folding not 3 betting and missing boards -we have to consider the strategy of shoving not raising at 30bb or less if our V have any fold frequencies at all and wider open ranges.

I am at this very moment watching a video (The Chip Race- DTO) on BTN open vs BB as the hero at 30bb stacks. GTO suggests BB hero action shoving all low pairs for instance.
When you review your hands- how you play BB from 30bb and less may be the place you want to look at first.

Hope this helps

LingCod907

LingCod907

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for posting

While it is true that folding is a viable tool in tournaments and we will be folding with the greatest frequency and you may be playing perfectly situational poker by folding not 3 betting and missing boards -we have to consider the strategy of shoving not raising at 30bb or less if our V have any fold frequencies at all and wider open ranges.

I am at this very moment watching a video (The Chip Race- DTO) on BTN open vs BB as the hero at 30bb stacks. GTO suggests BB hero action shoving all low pairs for instance.
When you review your hands- how you play BB from 30bb and less may be the place you want to look at first.

Hope this helps

Thanks. One rule I do have for me, is what ever I get a pocket pair I get at the final table with low stack (under 15BB) when I’m card dead. I will shove all.