Bubble on 9 player .50 tourny

E

EasydoesitMG

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm trying to fix some leaks in my game and one has been how aggressive I am pre-flop and also trying to play good hands for value, but I feel like it's killing me.

In the last 20 or so games I have not made it past the bubble and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. I'm often in 2nd or 3rd chip stack, but sometimes 1st.

I'm playing single tables and paying attention to player styles and I'm trying to be aggressive.

I keep reading that in the long run it will be profitable to play this way but I don't see it. I feel like if I waited when my chip stack was above and folded to all the ALL Ins I'd be better off.

I'm writing this on my last tourney rebuy on pokerstars. I've been playing .50 games for 2 weeks.

What do you all think I could be doing wrong?

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, assuming you are making the right reads, the question is are you playing differently then you would normally play to try to take people out? For instance, with the hands you're holding and calling all-ins when you're big stack, would you be making those same calls if it was the first hand of the tournament and you were faced with players going all-in? Or are you loosening your all-in calling range just because you have more chips?

What I've discovered about myself is on the bubble or even at the final table, if I have a medium to short stack I play tight and last quite a while. When I have a very large stack, however, I get to feeling it is my obligation to take people out. So I end up being involved in hands where other players are all-in and all I have is marginal hands for calling an all-in, like KJs. I would never call an all-in with KJs at the beginning of the tourney, so why am I doing it on the bubble? The idea of taking people out when I'm big stack is just too tempting, even though I know it's responsible for 75% of my large stack implosions.

E

EasydoesitMG

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What I've discovered about myself is on the bubble or even at the final table, if I have a medium to short stack I play tight and last quite a while. When I have a very large stack, however, I get to feeling it is my obligation to take people out. So I end up being involved in hands where other players are all-in and all I have is marginal hands for calling an all-in, like KJs. I would never call an all-in with KJs at the beginning of the tourney, so why am I doing it on the bubble? The idea of taking people out when I'm big stack is just too tempting, even though I know it's responsible for 75% of my large stack implosions.

That's interesting. I have to think about it from your perspective more.

I'm not sure. I've been thinking about it all day and I don't know what it is. I'm even wondering if it's a really bad luck spell. Which I have heard happens. Like I'm not deep stacking at all and then it feels like it's always bad timing on a raise pre-flop. AK suited up against 1010 and I don't hit. I could be either of those. If I have 1010 the AK hits for the villain. If I have AK then I won't hit.

Kinda Bumming out right now. I feel like when I knew less I was doing better.

Robmrjet

Robmrjet

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
That's interesting. I have to think about it from your perspective more.

I'm not sure. I've been thinking about it all day and I don't know what it is. I'm even wondering if it's a really bad luck spell. Which I have heard happens. Like I'm not deep stacking at all and then it feels like it's always bad timing on a raise pre-flop. AK suited up against 1010 and I don't hit. I could be either of those. If I have 1010 the AK hits for the villain. If I have AK then I won't hit.

Kinda Bumming out right now. I feel like when I knew less I was doing better.

What you wrote in your original post was just confirmed by what you just said.

It tells me that you are going All-In Pre-Flop With premium pocket cards.

You need to learn when to not do that.

I'm not the man to give you the expert advice on that...there others here that can explain it all better than I can to you.

Until then, the think about this statement......
The money you have INVESTED into learning by playing poker will pay off if you continue to ask for help in learning how to play good, and you INVEST the time and effort into reading, listening, and taking the advice.

If you don't have to sell your car because of what you have lost, and you are not playing poker with money that you need to live.......IF you are playing at a level where you can afford to lose in order to learn, then eventually you will be better at winning.

If you are just playing to win money because you want to win a lot of money...
you need to stop that and go to lower tables and control your bankroll real tight
until you learn when and what to raise, why to do it, or why not to do it.

Don't spend money learning to play poker if it's not extra money you have lying around that you don't need to use for anything.

Just my opinion.
I am not a poker player, I just play poker.

There are poker players on this site that can help you.

Good luck on the tables.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a lot of variance in tables of 9 players, i play in tables of 6 players and i have lost up to 14 tables in a row.Maybe you should go down to play in tables of 6 players, there is less variance in that modality.
The only way to stop losing is to stop playing, or lower the number of tables you play per day.
Keep playing with your strategy, in the end you must overcome the bad streak and start winning.