Bluffing when a player is all in

S

sublimer21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like that philosophy of showing all your hands to save up for a big bluff later. That makes a lot of sense.

S

sublimer21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yeah, and I gotta agree w/ everyone on the bluffer against an all in pot. I usually won't even bet top pair to make sure the guy gets beat when somebody is all in. I say keep as many people against him as you can.

J

jguthrie20

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that everybody should check after somebody goes all in unless you have a hand that you think will beat the all in guy then you can bet and try to win a side pot.

J

jde_07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heshkak said:
Hi all,

I seen this in the freeroll and it REALLY bugged me. It's also Daniel Negranu's pet peeve too (if you don't know who he is, he's been named the cardplayer of the year by Cardplayer mag).

Let me give the situation:

Player 1 - ALL IN PREFLOP (10-9 offsuit)
Player 2 - Call (7-2 offsuit)
Player 3 - Call A-K
Player 4 - Call 3-3

OK. Flop comes Q-8-4 Rainbow. Player 3 and 4 wisely check, and player 2 decides to try to "bluff" and raises. 3 and 4 fold, and player 1 wins with his 10 high. (Assuming bricks on trun and river)

Not only did player 2 not get any chips, HE ALLOWED THE ALL IN PLAYER TO SURVIVE!! Which is huge in tournamnent play.

Please, please do not be like player 2!

I know exactly how you feel about that. I just pisses me off when people do that. Unless you know you have the all in beat just check it down. Its a common curistory in cards to try to knock another person out and move up in the standings.

S

S1lverShot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think it is an overall bad move to be in a hand with 7-2 offsuit if he of had to call more than the blinds

B

billyhead

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not only is bluffing an all-in stupid, so are most of the calls. Too often somebody calls a short-stack all in in hopes of winning a race with average cards. Too me that's no different than bluffing on the turn.

G

G_man10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing on anothers all in? Ofcourse, very stupid. But in a situation where you have hit top pair on flop, do you think it is better to slow play your top pair, possibly Queens? or is it better to bet them out, so that they don't hit one of their aces, or kings? Maybe they even hit a jack...

This happens to me and I'd like to hear what everyone else does in these situations?

G

G_man10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^This is ofcourse when 'PLAYER 1' has already gone all-in pre flop.

B

benmoffet

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This startegy has to be the worst possible!! I mean the one thing you want when someone's all in is to take him out. You then want the best chances to do it. Even if all of his chips go into someone else's stack, it doesn't matter, the guy's gone and you don't have to bother about him anymore. I actually hate when people do that and then they lose the hand not only allowing the guy to survive but also allowing him to AT LEAST double up on his stack...

bpazjr13

bpazjr13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
7 2 (Also known as "The Hammer") is becoming such a popular hand to play....i guess ppl think if they play and lose with it then ..oh well, I had the worst hand and lost with it, who cares. But if they pull out a win, for them its a HUGE boost in moral, confindence, lucky bonus happy points? not quite sure what they think they gain

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is called the Gerg Raymer tournament strategy. People see how he played in that tournament of champions and think that is a good way to play. They obviously forgot the good players bustem him in the long run. :banghead:

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
heshkak said:
Hi all,

I seen this in the freeroll and it REALLY bugged me. It's also Daniel Negranu's pet peeve too (if you don't know who he is, he's been named the cardplayer of the year by Cardplayer mag).

Let me give the situation:

Player 1 - ALL IN PREFLOP (10-9 offsuit)
Player 2 - Call (7-2 offsuit)
Player 3 - Call A-K
Player 4 - Call 3-3

OK. Flop comes Q-8-4 Rainbow. Player 3 and 4 wisely check, and player 2 decides to try to "bluff" and raises. 3 and 4 fold, and player 1 wins with his 10 high. (Assuming bricks on trun and river)

Not only did player 2 not get any chips, HE ALLOWED THE ALL IN PLAYER TO SURVIVE!! Which is huge in tournamnent play.

Please, please do not be like player 2!
O yeah I actually did bluff in that exact same situation a long time ago and as soon as I made the bet I asked myself WHY? There is no reason whatsoever to do it, you gain nothing. Even though I knew I would drive the other players out. Plus the other players think you to be a complete MORON! although in a freeroll who cares, you gotta just fit in sometimes

T

TITANS488

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
bluffing all in is the worst mopve ever because u will regret it for the rest of the night

B

bluffin004

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, you never know his strategy, maybe later the player 1 will be a weaker opponent, and they may be playing together, you never know on those things!

N

niksomechips

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
At the end of the day the guy will end up losing most hands bluffing stupid like that.

C

capax

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You run into these guys all the time, sooner or later they get called and there style of play causes them to loose. But most important is not to get caught up in it unless you have a big hand. if you are sittin AA KK QQ AK, it could be a good call if you know and have watched their style of play.

V

vt_mruhlin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been known to do this sometimes. Usually happens if I'm not paying attention. I always beat myself for it right after doing it.

Sammyv1

Sammyv1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Something else I've noticed

I've seen many plays, mostly in free rolls, like this. The river will come and lets say player A has $1200 and Player B has $200. Player A bets like $170 and Player B just calls. Player A wins and Player B is still in the tourney. Although $30 is not a lot of money left and Player B probably will be gone soon. I do not understand this. I'm usually grasping my mouse Yelling, TAKE HIM OUT, TAKE THE &$#&#*@ING GUY OUT YOU MORON. Just an observation!