Biggest tournament buy in and I couldn’t buy a hand

Brentsn

Brentsn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had a good day yesterday and won a good payout. I usually play 10c-$11 tournaments. Every once and a while after a win I’ll try a bigger tournament. Tried a $22 PKO. It didn’t go well. I don’t think it was really my fault though, 40% of hands had a two and not once did I get anything off the flop, turn or River. I just bled out 2-5 or more blinds a hand.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
My most expensive ticket cost $ 120. I won this ticket in the satellite. But unfortunately I did not win anything in this tournament.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
That's just how the cookie crumbles sometimes Brentsn. Happens in big and small buy-in tournaments. It's unfortunate but that's where having a bigger bankroll for whatever level you're playing to support you through the downswings is important.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, luck is very important in any tournament, but it is impossible to play only on ready-made combinations ;) I think you should play, learn different tactics, strategies, look at your mistakes and try to look for different game plans. I think you know, that the knockout game is very different from hold'em. I'm not talking about the rules of the game, it's about the opponents and how they play. Knockout is a very specific format and requires a lot of skill and experience of the game. Experienced players notice newcomers very well, especially in this form...

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
ahhh , yes the 109$ big ....man i could play hands in 1 hour and 25 minutes , never happend to my and it was first time playing that high buy , not a good memory (:)

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Is there such a huge difference between $11 and $22 buy ins?
I think the problem is the tournament was a PKO and everyone was hunting those bounties early on which makes the early stages indeed so hard to play.
Better luck next time and don't be disappointed! Poker is a marathon.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's just how the cookie crumbles sometimes Brentsn. Happens in big and small buy-in tournaments. It's unfortunate but that's where having a bigger bankroll for whatever level you're playing to support you through the downswings is important.

Exactly. Sometimes when I look down at my own HUD numbers, they show VPIP 0 / PFR 0 after 30+ hands, because I have just been completely card dead. And of course this is just as likely to happen, when we are taking a "shot", as when we play our usual buyins. A "shot" is not always going to result in us cashing, which should be fairly obvious :)

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Had a good day yesterday and won a good payout. I usually play 10c-$11 tournaments. Every once and a while after a win I’ll try a bigger tournament. Tried a $22 PKO. It didn’t go well. I don’t think it was really my fault though, 40% of hands had a two and not once did I get anything off the flop, turn or River. I just bled out 2-5 or more blinds a hand.

I know that feeling brother. Just last month I crushed 3 sattys in a row to win a 109 ticket, from an initial 0.55 cent buy-in.
I got to play in a 300k gtd which was pretty awesome opportunity.

I was dealt a total of 3 playable hands in a 3 hour stretch. QQs even though I 3bet them get 3 callers - and the flop comes AKx - of course any of the opponents had either one of those two overs - so easy fold.
I cold call 77s in the bb vs 2 opponents and flop a set - guy cbets on K high rainbow board easy call other guy folds - I check and he checks back turn - I lead on Ace river expecting him to call my bet - he insta folds.

I 3bet A/K pre - insta folds all around. The rest of the 3 hours were me folding J/3 off 9/2 off and K/4 off. I even attempted to play a couple suited one gappers and connectors - but whiffed harder than a paint huffer every time.

Missed min-cashing by about an hour and a half of play - so not even close.
Jammed JJs into an EP open - he called with A/Q and binked the Ace. Out.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The most expensive tournaments that I have played have been because I have won a ticket or because I have had, let's say a good streak and I decide to indulge myself, but it is not easy, the more expensive the tournaments are, the more complicated some players are, I think that is when we should better analyze each play and each decision we make, more concentration, KO tournaments are a bit complicated, many are waiting to win the bounty and not to play a good game, they take unnecessary risks

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah that one sucks.. had it aswell and when you do get a good hand everyone decides to fold like they know you have it this time ..

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Same here played once a 55$ buyin MTT and I couldn't even get a decent hand to raise with keep grinding with midiocre hands taking advantage from few situations like squeezing then it was impossible to make the money without at least a decent hand every hour... I've seen 3 hands with A in 3 hours...

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Variance can be a killer. Roll with it and play within your bankroll and you will be fine.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The main thing is to adhere to the system of bankroll management and not to exceed the allowable risks. Remember that you can only play for the money you can afford to spend. This approach is the most effective and prevents frustration and loss.
Good luck.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
At one of several moments in my poker life, I couldn't find anything better than to lose 250 tournament dollars in a spin and go. I really wanted to play, but I could not find other offers in the list of games, so I decided to play spin and go. By the way, I lost on a pair of JJ by going to Allin:)

Scshred

Scshred

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Are you going to start holding their hands and waiting for those preemie hands is premium hands that you only get if you fold 50 times in a row you know and then you end up in the perfect situation where you got to fold another hundred times after that just to get the situation for that perfect hand that's how you're going to start your stack and then you can cruise from there.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands