Big tournaments

L

Lord Foma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you prepare for slow major tournaments.?
How do you tune in to such a long game?
What are you doing to play your game throughout that time?
My problem is that such tournaments in my time begin too pozno and sometimes go until the morning if not before lunch.
Over night I drink so much coffee to be vigorous, it is very harmful to the body.

Sergio_uy

Sergio_uy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first thing you have to see when signing up for a long tournament is if you can play it to the end if you reach the final table, which is always the idea.

I recommend eating apples and not drink so much coffee are very good to control sleep and much more natural than coffee.

a greeting and good luck in the tournaments: D

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like a freezeout tournament, over a several hour rebuy game. Personally, I prefer
to get in when the game starts and in freezeouts you have to play much more carefully, one mistake and you are gone. Long rebuy games may have bigger pots which is good for the house but the games don't start until the rebuy period is over.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Before a big important tournament you have to do the following things:

Have a sleep. You do not need to sleep and wake up before the very beginning of the game, but you should have a good rest before a long game at a later time of the day.

Thoroughly eat for an hour and a half before the game. Assimilation of food takes time, so try to get your blood started to feed the brain in time for the beginning of the game.

Go to the toilet. It's funny, but you have to be ready for the game and not be distracted by trifles.

If possible - breathe fresh air, make an easy workout, but do not get too carried away. You should not get tired and excited. Just need to saturate your lungs with oxygen.

During the game - be sure to use all five-minute pauses at the end of each hour to move a little, go to the toilet (yes, I already mentioned this, but you do not want to miss the distribution in the middle of the game?).

Hey, do not waste these five minutes to read the fresh mail or look at the pictures with the cats. Do as I wrote above. Slightly open your muscles. Give a rest to your eyes.

Do not abuse coffee and strong tea. Completely eliminate any alcohol. Better fruit (yes, apples is a wonderful, I approve).

If the tournament goes really long and you are hungry despite apples - eat something quickly absorbed. It will be great if there is someone who will help you with the preparation of food - 5 minutes may not be enough. And do you remember that you need to warm up and go somewhere? ;)

Last edited:
BHowell44

BHowell44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My problem is that such tournaments in my time begin too pozno and sometimes go until the morning if not before lunch.
Over night I drink so much coffee to be vigorous, it is very harmful to the body.
Those 5 hour late reg tourneys on ACR, many times if I play I will late reg on the 4th sometimes even 5th level. I hate playing for 5 hours to just bust short of the min cash. So that is what I usually do. Try to look for a double up fairly quickly and if I get one I am not in a bad position. And if not, I didn't waste the last 5 hours.

C

crisco609

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any player will tell you that it is very important to be both physically and mentally prepared for these long games. You may be sitting at the table for half the day depending on the size and speed of the game, and thus you must be able to sit comfortably for that extended period of time, get whatever you need to be comfortable (eat, drink, positioning yourself, etc...) because the moment you become uncomfortable is the moment you begin to make stupid mistakes. Same thing with being mentally prepared. You should be well rested and feeling good before you sit down for a long game. If you're overly tired, stressed, or have a headache you will not be able to focus on your game and are very likely to make bad plays.

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips

Have a sleep. You do not need to sleep and wake up before the very beginning of the game, but you should have a good rest before a long game at a later time of the day.

Thoroughly eat for an hour and a half before the game. Assimilation of food takes time, so try to get your blood started to feed the brain in time for the beginning of the game.

Go to the toilet. It's funny, but you have to be ready for the game and not be distracted by trifles.

If possible - breathe fresh air, make an easy workout, but do not get too carried away. You should not get tired and excited. Just need to saturate your lungs with oxygen.

During the game - be sure to use all five-minute pauses at the end of each hour to move a little, go to the toilet (yes, I already mentioned this, but you do not want to miss the distribution in the middle of the game?).

Hey, do not waste these five minutes to read the fresh mail or look at the pictures with the cats. Do as I wrote above. Slightly open your muscles. Give a rest to your eyes.

Do not abuse coffee and strong tea. Completely eliminate any alcohol. Better fruit (yes, apples is a wonderful, I approve).

If the tournament goes really long and you are hungry despite apples - eat something quickly absorbed. It will be great if there is someone who will help you with the preparation of food - 5 minutes may not be enough. And do you remember that you need to warm up and go somewhere? ;)
I want to join this opinion . You need to fully tune in to the game .

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preparation visualise owning some of that final table money
Throughout that time focus A game required muck strong cards if unsure and somebody
goes all in against you.
Easier to bluff or represent on higher buy in games than in micros be aggressive if sense weakness.
Use timebank think each decision through:D
CASH!:eek:
article-2323704-19C11429000005DC-997_1024x615_large.jpg

Last edited:
kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All good points made so far. Make sure all the obvious things are taken care of. You can't focus if you are hungry, need to go to the bathroom or if you clothes are uncomfortable. Also, make sure you have a healthy meal before the tournament, but not too close to it. Also, bring healthy snacks to have during the breaks. Other than the basics, just relax, stick to your ranges and adjust your play as necessary as the tournament progresses. Think through each decision and don't be afraid to take risks when necessary.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I very rarely drop long tournaments after midnight. By the time of the tournament suits me dissolving.

Gringo5521

Gringo5521

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Get used to tea :)

Hello.
Coffee really is very harmful for health.
If I drink more than 2 glasses, to me starting to become bad.
That's why I drink tea all the time :)

jamie Smith

jamie Smith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the picture of the man in the bathtub has simply put me off cash games for a while.... its good to stick with a digital BR for a while :)

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Make sure you are not tired and have fruit at the breaks and no alcohol.:):):)

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want to join this opinion . You need to fully tune in to the game .

Tournament poker is very close to the sport. If you want to succeed in major tournaments, you must act as a professional athlete - to comply with the regime, a certain schedule for the preparation for the match, train, and so on.

Perhaps the only difference from most sports is that poker more requires mental and psychological training, rather than physical strength. But the poker tournament usually lasts much longer than any sports match (in football or tennis, for example). So you will need both physical effort and endurance in as well.

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing that keeps me on my toes (literally) is a standing desk. Try standing and playing first to see if it helps keep you in the moment. I don't think it improves my play that much, but at the very least, I'm not zoning out.

L

Lord Foma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Many thanks for the advice I will take them into consideration.
But only with sleep does not always have time to sleep before the tournament.