Big Lay Down. Do you call?

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im proud of myself for not calling the river raise here.

I could have played it better. I should have bet 75-80% on the turn and protected my nut flush. After all it is poker stars and how many times have I said you have to bet strong when you have the goods and not get cute? One of these days I will do this 100% of the time.

When the river came pairing the board and I bet out and got raised I said to myself what hands would bet this flop, check the turn, and then raise the river?

It became quite clear what type of hand would take this line of actions. Villian flopped a set, bet for protection, was scared on the turn when the flush was possible with a 4 card straight on the board, and was no longer scared on the river when the board paired and he filled up. I folded so I will never really know for sure but I am fairly certain.

It may be an easy read for some, but it has taken me a long time to get to this point where I could see it so clearly. Even so I almost called.

Do you agree with my read or do you call the river raise?

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/30486263_01B6C0DBFB

Last edited:
W

whitesmoke420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is always an uncertainty, but you most likely made the best move. Some people predict how your going to act according to how they bet and what flops so the bluff can be hard to tell at times without faces to see..lol

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He had KJh,,,, ;)

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Was probably worth a call if you ignore that it is Poker Stars.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I could have played it better. I should have bet 75-80% on the turn and protected my nut flush. After all it is Poker Stars and how many times have I said you have to bet strong when you have the goods and not get cute? One of these days I will do this 100% of the time.

When the river came pairing the board and I bet out and got raised I said to myself what hands would bet this flop, check the turn, and then raise the river?

It became quite clear what type of hand would take this line of actions. Villian flopped a set, bet for protection, was scared on the turn when the flush was possible with a 4 card straight on the board, and was no longer scared on the river when the board paired and he filled up. I folded so I will never really know for sure but I am fairly certain.

It may be an easy read for some, but it has taken me a long time to get to this point where I could see it so clearly. Even so I almost called.

Am calling there all day long he had 10 or 10 jack or weaker flush if they have house fair enough but wow never folding in this spot.:eek:

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I could have played it better. I should have bet 75-80% on the turn and protected my nut flush.
If he had the full-house then I go broker there. There are SO many hands you beat. I agree with your assessment that you should have bet the turn, not to protect your flush, but to build the pot so that you could get it all in as the aggressor on the river card.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hello
I would probably call that,
You never know how much of a bluff that is.

:):)

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe the way I played it the villain thought I was super weak so all of everyone's estimations are possible, but a set that improved would also play this way and I have been struggling with the laydown late in the tourneys, so I am still proud I could.

Honestly few attempt river bluffs of 3x in my experience. I know because I have called my fair share.

Later in the same satellite here is another spot where it should have been apparent to fold....

A situation to pitch the QQ.
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/30486253_9E397773E7
[/FONT]

If I can achieve these types of folds on a consistent level as well as always betting my strength when the nuts could change on the next card, I can go deep on a consistent basis.I feel I am on the cusp of achieving next level play. Time to execute.

Last edited:
Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Maybe the way I played it the villain thought I was super weak so all of everyone's estimations are possible, but a set that improved would also play this way and I have been struggling with the laydown late in the tourneys, so I am still proud I could.

Honestly few attempt river bluffs of 3x in my experience. I know because I have called my fair share.

Later in the same satellite here is another spot where it should have been apparent to fold....

A situation to pitch the QQ.
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/30486253_9E397773E7
[/FONT]

If I can achieve these types of folds on a consistent level as well as always betting my strength when the nuts could change on the next card, I can go deep on a consistent basis.I feel I am on the cusp of achieving next level play. Time to execute.

Hi
Folding QQ is not required when you had to act but who knows the last guy would shove all in also and you are pot committed so cant leave.

Instead of the T it could have been a Q.

Its just poker luck.

In a 1.10$ buy in yesterday i was playing patiently and the game was into 90minutes already
I had 3x the buy in stack (15k)

Got dealt AA and raised 6k preflop all folded to this guy who was newly seated on the table with 10k stack calls, flop is 739 os and I shove all in and get called and shows 7 9.
And I am left high and dry.

Now how would you think a poker
Player already 1.5 H into the game will call like that.

What would you do post flop? Check? Fold to a bet?

No player is perfect without a little luck.:)

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been in this situation before and I agree totally with your assessment. You should have bet the turn with a big bet....I think you are right, about 75% pot. The way this hand played out betting big on the turn was really the only way you could win the hand. Good lay down.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi
Folding QQ is not required when you had to act but who knows the last guy would shove all in also and you are pot committed so cant leave.

Instead of the T it could have been a Q.

Its just poker luck.

In a 1.10$ buy in yesterday i was playing patiently and the game was into 90minutes already
I had 3x the buy in stack (15k)

Got dealt AA and raised 6k preflop all folded to this guy who was newly seated on the table with 10k stack calls, flop is 739 os and I shove all in and get called and shows 7 9.
And I am left high and dry.

Now how would you think a poker
Player already 1.5 H into the game will call like that.

What would you do post flop? Check? Fold to a bet?

No player is perfect without a little luck.:)

No I think it is a fold there and I will explain why.

The early position player raises to about 2000 my first call is quite ok. Then the big blind reraises for just over 6k which you do not do from the big blind without a hand because you have to play the rest of the way out of position. Plus he has got me covered in chips.

Then the EP player moves all in for 11k reaffirming his strength. Little do we know we are ahead of him but behind the BB. I have to expect the big blind is going to commit here and I should not have called EP's reraise here unless I am absolutely certain QQ is the best hand.

Early in a tournament it is quite alright to gamble but not this late in a tournament when I have all of these indicators and I just have to last 12 more players to grab a satellite ticket and I would still have an average stack by folding. With Aces or Kings its an easy call, maybe AK as well but technically any drawing hand can be folded as well.

With QQ I think it is one of those rare times you are getting all of the correct signs to lay it down. I believe that is what separates a good tournament player from a great one. I do not often fold QQ nor do I recommend doing so, but under certain circumstances one should.

Due to the position of both players and their initial actions I feel it would have been proper to lay down QQ here and survive and wait for another spot. You have to respect early position commuting as well as the blinds committing.

Of course I am open to more comments on both hands whether they agree or oppose. This is what makes poker theory so great and we can agree to disagree.

Last edited:
TonyTwoCheeks

TonyTwoCheeks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think bet-fold on the river is the worst of your options. If you potted and he shoved then I could start to understand your concern.
Why were you betting if you were going to fold to a less than pot-sized bet? You have to show this hand down. Why not check-call if you want to play it conservative?

As played, I would call 100%.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ok I can concede that the fold may have been a bit too conservative. I really wish I repped stronger so I could be more certain but I can learn from it.

I recently had a hand where someone did pull a 3x river bluff on me again, but this time his story just didnt add up so I called when I hit my flush and the board paired ...

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/30526816_9B0FBF6AAD

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Regarding first hand posted here, I think that's an easy call, especially in a $1.10. Many smaller flushes will show up, and many 10's will raise for value here. I really don't think he's bluffing because all draws completed. Also his only boats are probably pocket 7-9. It's hard to see him having much 6x besides maybe 67.

W

whitesmoke420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Been trying to play smart but it seems I'm being out gunned each hand. Every time I fold I would have won and every time I play something worth while I lose. I'm so aggravated right now that I'm just going to take a break.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I am not 100% sure you were beat here. When you check the turn he could have thought you were afraid on a flush or straight and check behind a small flush straight or maybe 2 pair. When you bet the river I could look to him you are betting a hand he could beat and raised you for value or as a bluff here on a very ugly run out. While I dont blame you for betting the river you might have been better off instead, checking with the intention of calling a raise. Just a thought anyways.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with what most others are posting. He could have very easily been betting a flush draw on the flop and then checking a flush on the turn so that he doesn't scare you away with a bet. Then, on the river when you bet he probably thinks his flush or straight is good so he raises you. In either case, the pot was big enough there where I would have called. Even if you lost, your stack wouldn't have been that short.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sweet large river bluff induced.

Well, this time I capped my range but had the goods heads up against the BB who decides to reraise my smallish value bet on the river with a stone cold bluff all in ...

https://www.boomplayer.com/30549249_667B8173C1

It was a nice run in this one but it ended and I finished 90th on a hand where I call a shove confident I am ahead. Not only am I ahead but with domination.

I flop great with top pair, and then comes the ever so high frequency Stars signature runner runner BS to give my opponent a straight. Gotta love Stars!

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/30549307_89E0310669

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips

I could have played it better. I should have bet 75-80% on the turn and protected my nut flush. After all it is Poker Stars and how many times have I said you have to bet strong when you have the goods and not get cute? One of these days I will do this 100% of the time.

I respect your reading - but I would make a call to the river.
A♥ Q♥ is to strong to fold.

Well, this time I capped my range but had the goods heads up against the BB who decides to reraise my smallish value bet on the river with a stone cold bluff all in ...

https://www.boomplayer.com/30549249_667B8173C1

Nice call - here .

I flop great with top pair, and then comes the ever so high frequency Stars signature runner runner BS to give my opponent a straight. Gotta love Stars!

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/30549307_89E0310669

I do not see a meaningful reason to make a call with my entire stack .....with QKo.

I would not blame Poker Stars for the situation.

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok so I've had the benefit of reading these options so this is a little bit of conglomerate of thoughts.

While I give you props on the discipline it takes to lay that down. I also think as the hand plays I'm never folding in that spot?

That said I'm also probably not ever checking the turn with your hand or a set and last to act?

I'm betting a set for sure especially if I read weak and think I think I can convince that I hit straight or the flush. It's great to have that fold in your bag but I wouldn't use it in this instance.

If I had to guess he had something like Hugh said 10/10 with the ten of hearts he didn't put you on the flush and when the river wasn't a 4th heart he thought straight was good.

Jilty

Jilty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You beat so many hands there, I don't know the numbers but you beat everything but full houses so you definitely should have called. Check back on the turn was nice, if your playing with a hud what are his stats like? That's pretty much the determining factor, but yeah definitely call.