Big, Bounty or Hot?

_xgeb_

_xgeb_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
Which of the three is your favorite tournament and why? How do you play each variant?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Big" is pokerstars name for a series of tournaments, that have 10 minute blind intervals and start with 167BB. "Hot" is their name for turbo tournaments with 5 minute blind intervals. And finally bounty builders are all over the site in both regular speed and turbo formats. For me it depends on, how much time I have. The "big" tournaments last for up to 8 hours, so they require a free schedule, and I am not going to enroll for an 8 hour event after dinner and risk having to play well into the night.

To be honest I think, the best tournaments on PokerStars are the 45-180 man SnGs. Everything else tend to be overly raked at least in the micros, and most of the time scheduled tournaments are to large. For building up a bankroll you really need to focus on either cash games or tournaments with 200 or less players. Ofterwise variance is simply going to be to large and difficult to overcome.

_xgeb_

_xgeb_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
"Big" is PokerStars name for a series of tournaments, that have 10 minute blind intervals and start with 167BB. "Hot" is their name for turbo tournaments with 5 minute blind intervals. And finally bounty builders are all over the site in both regular speed and turbo formats. For me it depends on, how much time I have. The "big" tournaments last for up to 8 hours, so they require a free schedule, and I am not going to enroll for an 8 hour event after dinner and risk having to play well into the night.

To be honest I think, the best tournaments on PokerStars are the 45-180 man SnGs. Everything else tend to be overly raked at least in the micros, and most of the time scheduled tournaments are to large. For building up a bankroll you really need to focus on either cash games or tournaments with 200 or less players. Ofterwise variance is simply going to be to large and difficult to overcome.
Excellent answer. It helped me a lot.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I like bounty tournaments

Ygtszksn

Ygtszksn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Big" is PokerStars name for a series of tournaments, that have 10 minute blind intervals and start with 167BB. "Hot" is their name for turbo tournaments with 5 minute blind intervals. And finally bounty builders are all over the site in both regular speed and turbo formats. For me it depends on, how much time I have. The "big" tournaments last for up to 8 hours, so they require a free schedule, and I am not going to enroll for an 8 hour event after dinner and risk having to play well into the night.

Good answer :) u explain very well

Tunkki

Tunkki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like turbo tournaments so that's why I like hot's. I also like the new bounty builder turbo on demands. Those start when there is 36 players to start and those run all day long. I recommend those for everyone.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would always choose bounty... On bountyif you hit last 10% you will probably already be up 4-5 times buyin, and on regulars you are just on min cash...

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think players are better on SNGs... I played a lot of 90 players 5$ KO's and level of play is way better than on lets say bounty builder 5.5$...

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I like the Big tournaments on PokerStars. And I also enjoy bounty tournaments.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also like the new bounty builder turbo on demands. Those start when there is 36 players to start and those run all day long. I recommend those for everyone.

These are also different in the sense, that they start with only 50BB, which is nice for people, who are not so used to deep stacked play. And while blind intervals are only 5 minutes, the jump between blinds are not so large, so there is some play in these. My only complaint is, that unless you want to late register, you need to calculate or watch, when the next one will begin, because you can not register ahead of time. And then their is the usual PokerStars thing of charging 0,36$ rake for a 2,94$ tournament, which is frankly just to much.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think players are better on SNGs... I played a lot of 90 players 5$ KO's and level of play is way better than on lets say bounty builder 5.5$...

I think, there is some truth to this. Maybe the reason is, that most recreational players are attracted by the large quarantied price pools in PokerStars mammoth sized tournaments, while regulars are focused on, how much rake they pay, and on minimizing variance. The best solution is frankly to find another poker site. I had a lot of success on 888 Poker, but I guess, anything is better than PokerStars, if you are looking for soft games.

koisug

koisug

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not see much difference, to be honest. I play in each of them, but certainly find a few differences as possible, but to say that there is a super basic difference - poker, poker and Africa)))

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bounty for me. Dont like that there is more crazy plays involved. people do some rly crazy staff to get ur bounty.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
As a recreational I like all 3 types. It depends on my mood to be honest which one I will register. I like the push/fold strategy because it pumps up my adrenaline but I also like the post flop play and the freezout nature of the Big MTTs.

PKOs also good because after some KOs you can freeroll your buy in so it is a super cool :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PKOs also good because after some KOs you can freeroll your buy in so it is a super cool :)

I also dont mind PKOs, because they add another layer of complexity, which help keep the game interesting. And I like, that PokerStars has changed the payout structure, so that the winner and runner up now essentially get the same. This is fair, because the winner collect the final two bounties. With a traditional structure to much of the total price money goes to the winner.

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bounty tournaments are always my choice, why, it gives me opportunity to retrieve my buyin before getting ITM. Big and Hot, i play those according to blind structure, more patient when it comes to Big and more aggressive when it comes to Hot.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like bounty tournaments. I like to receive rewards for knocking out, but sometimes I make bad calls because of this

N

NicoVlopez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good night!
Personally I do not like bounty tournaments, although from time to time I play some because they have enough action.
I play the Hot and Big quite often, and actually ended up choosing one or the other depending on the time I have. But I like the slow tournaments, in this case the Big. On weekends I play all of them :D.

B

Blue22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I like bounty tournaments... but people do play crazy trying to get your bounty. I think that your comment about the 45-180 player SnGs is a good one and will have to try those to build a bankroll.

Sakisdask

Sakisdask

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Big Bounty of course its a tournamant who you can make a good bankroll whith arent waiting "Pop" the Bubble!!

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I used to play a lot of MTTs and found I was getting nowhere fast, the payouts for the early stages just didn't make any headway and my bankroll suffered. So I started to play 9 player SnGs Knockout games and even though I might not win a lot, I can still get a return if I take out enough players and take the bounties.
You generally have to take 5 bounties to break even but if you win, the bounties become a bonus on your winnings My best to date is 1st place and 7 bounties and it has meant that because I have increased my Bank-roll I now play bigger buy-ins.
Yes it is slow progress, but progress non the less and if it carries on at this rate I will be increasing my stakes sooner than I thought possible.
I may never buy in for the $109 tourneys but the $11 buy-ins are a lot closer now. Play for fun and keep it fun!

When the fun Stops, STOP!