Better hand

amxvulcan

amxvulcan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In holdem, which two cards are considered the better starting hand? A 5 suited or J Q suited?

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In holdem, which two cards are considered the better starting hand? A 5 suited or J Q suited?
A5s always.... nut flush draws, bottom side wheel, and you have A high to start.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
statistics and practice of my game shows the superiority of JQ 70%-30% over A5 with a competent game (not all in)

I choose exactly JQ.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A5 and QJ are really close in terms of percentages vs an unknown hand. But I would rather have QJs because of more straight possibilities.

Therminator

Therminator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id prefer QJs so that I get the open straight draw rather than a closed straight draw. Now A5s can produce a better flush however flushs aren't happening as frequently as straights are.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure why we gotta choose? I like em both in many different situations. They’re great hands to have on the button and I’d take either one. If they were off suit and I was facing a raise then forget about em!

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

The question is somewhat incorrect. In addition to two cards, many other factors must be taken into account. For example, the status of the tournament, your place and imide at the table, and so on. When playing one on one, A5 is preferable, because in case of a mismatch you have a high card. When the JJ or QQ pair is formed after the flop, you still have two more streets to see the ace. In the game at low limits in this situation, there are many who want to try their luck on the turn and river. Straight in case of A5 is more obvious in case of a sharp increase in the rate. The calculator gives 58 against 42 in favor of an ace when playing in the same suit.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that the advantage of one hand or another is very subjective. But I would choose A5s for three reasons: 1. when placing on the preflop, A5s has an advantage in equity. 2. Many people say that QJs has a better chance of collecting a street. This is true, but do not forget about the lower straight with an ACE. 3. Flash. QJs and A5s have equal chances to collect a flush, but with A5s we have a senior flush and we can't lose to the older flush. And with QJs, we give the stack to the senior flash not only with Ax, but also with Kx.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your hand this is not the main thing

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if it's all-in preflop, i go with a5s. if there is post flop play, i prefer qjs.

J

jmg199

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's pretty close to a coin flip.

Attachments

• which is best.JPG
    which is best.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 8
mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not a fan of any ace rag hand. I tend to fold these a lot. Others seem to have luck with them, but it's never been my experience. It reminds me of when I first started on play money where I would get all excited if I got dealt an ace and would throw all in then be left fuming because the pot was won by a hand that didn't have an ace.

In the example above I would prefer the QJ though looking at the percentages it's clear my idea is flawed. I just like the look of it more.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
depending on your position at the table

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands