Best time to join tournaments

strugglezhope

strugglezhope

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey,

When do you think is the best time to join a tournament?

Do you prefer to join a tournament, when the situation looks like, that the gtd prize pool won't get reached by joined players?
or a tottaly full tournament where the prize pool is really huge?

Do you have some experience with tournaments where the gtd. prize pool was not reached and
how hard was it to reach the money?

If someone know a guide or link where this is discussed, i would happy to read it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I really like this question and will be reading other posts as they come in. I have seen overlay's happen quite often, especially on ACR and yes I tend to get into these tournaments. ACR puts a big message on the screen so you can't miss it lol What I was really interested in this question is more along the lines of whether people like to enter at the beginning of registration or waiting till late reg. is almost over. In my experience there are pro's and cons for both. Such as if you enter the tourney at the start you usually start with a large amount of BB's and can maneuver well sometimes stacking multiple agro's but the con is it is easy to get caught in the trap of bust re-buy. The other con is having to play hours and hours and still being in registration. Entering at last level or late reg. I have seen many times where you are only 4 or 5 spots away from the money and can get an easy min cash or run it up and win. Con you enter with below 10 bigs and you are forced to shove with little fold equity. Can't wait to read others response as to what they prefer.

strugglezhope

strugglezhope

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
actually i´m handling joining times like:

fast structure like Hyper, Sat´s or something else where the variance is more effective
i join often in the last minutes (maybe10BB) and hope to double up my stack with luck.

slow structure:
i want to join early to get more playable situations. But the Avg. Stacksize shouldnt be more then the double of the starting stacksize.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
actually i´m handling joining times like:

fast structure like Hyper, Sat´s or something else where the variance is more effective
i join often in the last minutes (maybe10BB) and hope to double up my stack with luck.

slow structure:
i want to join early to get more playable situations. But the Avg. Stacksize shouldnt be more then the double of the starting stacksize.

I like this answer.

If I'm entering late I look at the min cash because if I cash that is likely what I will win (just odds are). If the min cash doesn't even pay my entry then I don't enter late (or if it just barely covers the entry).

I have seen tournies where the field is so short that if you enter at the last second you automatically min cash. But that is rare and not my goal in tournaments.

Good luck !

M

Mepper95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really depends on the structure indeed. For tournaments with a blind structure of 8min+ I like to join before the average stack is double the starting stack, but with turbo tournaments I don't mind late registering with 10-15BB.

PiStealth

PiStealth

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to join tournaments in the very beginning especially if the blind structure is less than 8 minutes (I prefer slow tournaments). With Turbo and Hyper-Turbo if the tournament has started in more than 10 minutes ago... I don't even try cuz I'll usually bust (I don't like the pressure of time limits there)

djasset

djasset

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i usually always register late, but i may just be procrastinating.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoy joining tournaments at the beginning so you have room to work, having the blinds small relative to your stack. It gives you more time to grow your stack without being in an all in or fold state. It also allows you to double up through the people who go all in with junk.

I avoid tournaments with long late registration as I find it annoying to be playing a tournament for an hour and then look at the tournament info to find there are more people left than the total that started.

strugglezhope

strugglezhope

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Today i started the $11 Battle Royal at the beginning, and got a terrible position and no playable situations to build my stack up.

i got eated round for round by blinds aggressions where i had to fold,
i wished me on the point where i joind late and just had to push for the double up my stack to save time and skip the struggle on the table

Maybe there is a blindlevel that can be skipped, because of less rentability for the invested time. Some tournements on pokerstars have about 2hours lateregristration and over 2 hours there can be come mistakes...

Guys, what do you mean.
Which Blindlevel can be easy skipped or where starts the blindlevel where you save up time, without get to many hands/ situations lost?

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
always playing with fewer people tends to decrease the variance and the chance to win is much higher. I always prefer smaller tournaments

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I personal like to play from the beginning of the game as I just enjoy playing deep stack poker. This being said I will rarely join going late if there looks to be a big overlay and I would still have 20+ BB to play with. If I don't have that much room to play with I just don't see the point of playing the tournament.

H

havealittlefaith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like joining as early as possible. Think about it, if you're going to buy-in to a tourny, don't put yourself at a disadvantage right away for no reason.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I think it is better to play from the very beginning of the tournament. In this case, you have a better chance of winning. Although it is more important to be patient and wait for strong cards.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey,

When do you think is the best time to join a tournament?

Do you prefer to join a tournament, when the situation looks like, that the gtd prize pool won't get reached by joined players?
or a tottaly full tournament where the prize pool is really huge?

Do you have some experience with tournaments where the gtd. prize pool was not reached and
how hard was it to reach the money?

If someone know a guide or link where this is discussed, i would happy to read it. :D

At first sight you will see thousands of participants on the lobby who will also fight for the victory. You might think that you can not bypass all these opponents, reach the final table and continue the fight right up to the first place. However, do not start a major tournament with such thoughts. After all, go through the whole tournament path and win - it is quite possible

H

have

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
best

best early but anytime i can .:DhavefunAA

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i jump in just before late reg is over most of the crazy all ins are done blinds are usually 10/20 and 3000 chip start so i usually like to jump in around the 100/200 mark the skill level goes up the majority of the time and i enjoy putting myself against the better players and testing myself and whether i get out played or not it not only helps my game for the next time but gives me a chance to learn along the way

V

vic75

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On 888 Poker with the big fish tournaments there is three hours of late registration usually takes four and a half hours for a min cash with rebuys.Its better too start at the beginning with a big stack.

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it’s better to start the tournament from beginning, the blinds are still small, and u can choose a lot of hands to play .also to register in a tournament in late registration can be benefit too, u have to be agressive , if u lose try to use a rebuy if it s allowed , luck must play with a bit with you also .

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to always register for the tournament on time. While the BB is small you can calmly pick up a good card and raise the stack. Otherwise, late registration will not give such an opportunity.

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always like to join tournaments in the beginning

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best time to join tournaments is early game

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Till one hour from the start is a good moment to buy in. After this the blinds are staring to get higher, so it is more dificult to play your game.

Justin Bloomquist

Justin Bloomquist

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is a good idea to play from the beginning of a poker tournament. That way you can methodically build a stack from the loose players. Then you can use that stack later on to get deeper in tournaments.

A

ATruRube

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i jump in just before late reg is over most of the crazy all ins are done blinds are usually 10/20 and 3000 chip start so i usually like to jump in around the 100/200 mark the skill level goes up the majority of the time and i enjoy putting myself against the better players and testing myself and whether i get out played or not it not only helps my game for the next time but gives me a chance to learn along the way

I tend to agree here, but it really makes a difference to me the size of the entry, the amount of players remaining, the reward for minimum cashing, how much I can afford to lose.

H

Hunterlewis31

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always join tournys a few levels in and the blinds are higher. It appears that more players tighten their hands in later levels and my range opens up. Wait out the fish is my best solution.