Behind a overbet?

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are a lot of player that overbett the pot in the river card. What do you often think when you see this kind of play? bluff or beaten?

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I usually tend to think people are weak, unless I have other reads, or thoughts from the hand.

The problem with this is that it can often lead to disaster, as many players like to overbet the pot repping a bluff!!:eek:

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watching pros play on twitch, I often see them over bet the river. It often makes it look like a bluff and you could win a bigger pot with a call. This seems to be more frequent when you have a nuts hand like a boat or nut flush. I think people will assume you don’t have it or you would have bet smaller wanting a call. Just my 2 cents.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have to play against someone in order to know what to do in these situations. Usually if I see someone over betting like that on the river I'm probably inclined to believe that they are bluffing and hopefully I'm holding the 'Nuts'!

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually tend to think people are weak, unless I have other reads, or thoughts from the hand.

The problem with this is that it can often lead to disaster, as many players like to overbet the pot repping a bluff!!:eek:

Exactly what happened to me three hands yesterday, during all that time and from the hand story i had the thought they are bluffing but wasn't correct. That's why i thought i would be nice to have some other opinions on this. Thnx

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Exactly what happened to me three hands yesterday, during all that time and from the hand story i had the thought they are bluffing but wasn't correct. That's why i thought i would be nice to have some other opinions on this. Thnx

The reverse is also true tho when you are betting the river, I'm finding if I bet a good solid value bet type amount, I just get folds against better players, so recently I've been going bigger sometimes. Also its worth betting bigger in the micros against weaker players who might just call off their whole stack with top pair etc when you have a monster.

To be fair, its also me many times, and sounds like you too, making these types of calls. I think my problem is I think something, but maybe that's not enough of a read. You need more than just intuition to call off a lot of your stack in a marginal position.

I'm no expert, but just what I feel I'm learning recently! :)

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The problem with this question is there is no quick honest answer. Some players do this when they have the nuts or when they have the bluff. Some players do a over bet on any river when they thing the other player is week. Andsome only do it with the absolute nuts. Then there are the players who do it only when the timing is right. They are only doing it vs a player when they are sure they wont fold. Some players wont fold there top pair or over pair and will us this bet to get the max out of the other player. What it means just depends on the player who is doing it at the time.