Beating calling stations?

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play on clubWPT, and O M G, it is full of calling stations.

How do you beat them? In a cash game, you can just wait for a hand then clean them out, but in a tournament where the blinds are 6 minutes long, what sort of strategy should be employed to build a stack in a table full of calling stations?

Is it just a push and pray?
Do you think there is something that can be done?

thanks.

R

Rybod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
call stations I think are sometimes easy and sometimes hard to beat.

My normal tactic is a tighter play. I wait for a monster hand and bet the same amount they call with on each street. a little higher each time.

i most cases, within 1 or 2 of those hands, i can clean them out. then they rebuy or leave.

but generally, treat them as a loose player and tighten it up.

M

mikeajax15

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play on clubWPT, and O M G, it is full of calling stations.

How do you beat them? In a cash game, you can just wait for a hand then clean them out, but in a tournament where the blinds are 6 minutes long, what sort of strategy should be employed to build a stack in a table full of calling stations?

Is it just a push and pray?
Do you think there is something that can be done?

thanks.
Bet your strong hands and very strong draws. X back your weaker draws because semi bluffing wont work!

Go for thin value at the river.

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
U have to play tighter vs this type of players and NEVER bluff them.

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I appreciate the advice and I agree with what you all are saying if the tournament blinds were 10-15 minutes long or longer

In a case where blinds are 6 minutes, you can literally be sat and blinded out before you catch anything worth playing. On top of that, even if you do catch, it may be too late as even a double up won't help you if you're only at 5BB anyway.

Is there nothing else that can be done?

Also, clubWPT tournaments don't allow rebuys, just about ever. Once a week they have one tournament with a single rebuy.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

Just don't bluff and don't be afraid to go allin preflop when you have to.
And good luck xD.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For the scenario you outline - I'd treat it like a turbo SnG - play push/fold. If they are stations - they will call your shoves with moderate hands and hope your strong hand holds.
Once you build up a sizable stack - you can revert into the tactics others have outlined.

Often times you will bust out early - but the times you don't - you will have a better shot taking down the entire event.

N

Nomahoners

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Microstakes/freeroll i am a calling station, limper to nit type player. Early in freerolls bluffs are ill advised in my opinion. Once I recognise the table thinks im super tight I bluff in select spots. When I get a monster I can use the calling station image to my advantage or lose with AA to 10 3 off haha.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I appreciate the advice and I agree with what you all are saying if the tournament blinds were 10-15 minutes long or longer

In a case where blinds are 6 minutes, you can literally be sat and blinded out before you catch anything worth playing. On top of that, even if you do catch, it may be too late as even a double up won't help you if you're only at 5BB anyway.

Is there nothing else that can be done?

Also, clubWPT tournaments don't allow rebuys, just about ever. Once a week they have one tournament with a single rebuy.

Maybe there are special charts for such cases... Plus a set of simple rules for postflop if all the chips are not placed before the flop. But if the blinds increase so fast, then most likely you need to use the push/fold strategy...

Perhaps there is some kind of push/fold strategy against the calling stations spectra )))

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against calling stations my strategy: bet with strong hands, check with weak hands and not bluff. Here it is desirable to play in position and with a narrow range of hands.

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

Just don't bluff and don't be afraid to go allin preflop when you have to.
And good luck xD.

This sums it up pretty well to me .... you have to just be playing in a straightforward // kind of abc manner, and all in is a powerful statement in most cases ... and you will need a little luck but if you can show a couple other players the door they may get scared of you and be easy to push around too, of course, as the dynamic changes so should your playstyle ... good luck : )

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with not bluffing a calling station but with 6 min blinds you simply can't wait too long for a monster hand. I would suggest opening up your range a bit when you have position but increase your bet sizing post flop. You should be looking to avoid going to a showdown. Push these players to fold by hammering the pot post flop.

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great advice all. It seems like you all have the same conclusions. I like that there is a consensus. I'll give it a shot!

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had a dude call me down with T9 on a AJ227 board.

I was on BB he was on BTN. I felt he missed the flop so I led out on the flop. He called. I checked the turn. He checked. Then I bet 2/3 pot on river. He calls.

I also had T9 so it was a split pot.

But the next rotation same situation. He limped on BTN I was on BB. I had A9.

I flopped two pairs, and led out with the exact same bet as before. This time he folds!

I wonder if he realized that I realized he is a calling station and I can value bet his a$$ so therefore this time I won't bluff.

Couldn't figure it out.