Bb vs Sb

Jp221202

Jp221202

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I find myself in a lot of hands folding my small blinds, I’ve started to try and defend this position much more in recent online tournaments but am still curious on good ways to defend I’ll never raise or flat with poor hands however I do often find mindself folding aces-xs from small blind due to 4x bets

Any tips would be helpful to help me learn defense from this position

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
First of all: SB is the worst position at the table since postflop you have to act first all three streets.
Second: If you always fold the SB you lose around 8.16bb/100hands.
Third: From the SB you will always be losing in total so the question is not how to win as much as possible but how to lose as less as possible.
How to do that?
1. Whatever you do, don't call with crappy hands!
2. If its folded to you, raise about 50% of hands.
3. Resteal from the button due to 3bets according to villains estimated range.
(For example: 99+, ATo+ KTo+ QJo, AJs+, KQs, A2s-A6s)
4. Resteal from the cutoff due to 3bets according to ......
(Bit tighter than against button)
5. Play very tight vs earlier positions, call most pocket pairs at least up to tens and call with suited broadways and suited broadway aces. You can sonetimes call small pocketpairs or suited wheel aces.
6. Against LJ for example your 3bet value range should look like this: (QQ+, AKo, AKs and if you need bluffs for balance, any middle to low As or Ks is fine)

Need more input?

Ps: In tournaments rfi ranges are usually a bit wider so the 3bet ranges are as well.
And in tourmaments you raise first in less against the BB, you want to limp a lot.

Last edited:
L

luk0123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Usually your playing range depends on so many factors that you cannot fix it and stick to forever. However, As said with sm you should minimize your loses so in this case you can decide on your playing range, set it really high and stick to it. You can have even two ranges:
- one for when previous players went into game
- the other when everyone folded

Lucho.riv9

Lucho.riv9

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
In my personal opinion, I like to defend in the small blind versus the button or cutoff in 6-max with a range a bit tighter than in the big blind. Even though you can defend more against the hijack in a 9-max table.

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
In my personal opinion, I like to defend in the small blind versus the button or cutoff in 6-max with a range a bit tighter than in the big blind.
Would you explain what exacly you mean by that?
Because BB vs SB defense is a totally different story. BB acts last so he can call shitloads of hands up to 60% against button opening. SB can't call a lot because he has to fear BB squeezes oop. SB therefore 3bets more than BB vs button, for value ,to isolate and as bluff/resteal.
BB calls as defense, 3bet low.
SB 3bets as defense, calls low.
Greets

Lucho.riv9

Lucho.riv9

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Would you explain what exacly you mean by that?
Because BB vs SB defense is a totally different story. BB acts last so he can call shitloads of hands up to 60% against button opening. SB can't call a lot because he has to fear BB squeezes oop. SB therefore 3bets more than BB vs button, for value ,to isolate and as bluff/resteal.
BB calls as defense, 3bet low.
SB 3bets as defense, calls low.
Greets
Hi! I agree with you. I was talking about the small blind, completely ignoring the big blind, as you don't know what they're going to do. But of course, the big blind can call with a very wide range.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
if you play the small blind you should play 3 bets for the player to throw or call you, it will be better if you just press call you need to play more aggressively If a good player notices that you throw away a lot of hands, he will start pressing you even with weak hands, you need to answer him with an aggressive response