Basic Tournament Strategy

T

Tk_Poker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have entered a charity tournament today with a $45 buy in and re-buys for the first hour. The prize pay out is $500, $300, and $100. I expect a full range of players, mostly fish, a few decent players and up to 5 good players. I am not sure how many entries there will be but I expect the field to be under 50 people.

What would be your basic tournament strategy in this position. I was leaning on only playing premium hands for the first hour. Watching the table closely to try to find weaknesses and then stealing whenever possible.

I would appreciate any tips you could offer.

Thanks.

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play a little tight because sounds like will be loose aggressive group having fun for charity. If they do play passively loosen up a little and adjust your aggression. Apply pressure but when they show strong aggression give them credit for a monster. They most likely will play very straight forward.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
because it is a charity event i would play a little tight as

majority of the players will be playing very loose

TheBandit

TheBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your on it

I would do the same but I would also not push with my premium hands and let the poker gods do their work. the bad players will fall into your traps and do the betting for you most times. How did you do?

I have entered a charity tournament today with a $45 buy in and re-buys for the first hour. The prize pay out is $500, $300, and $100. I expect a full range of players, mostly fish, a few decent players and up to 5 good players. I am not sure how many entries there will be but I expect the field to be under 50 people.

What would be your basic tournament strategy in this position. I was leaning on only playing premium hands for the first hour. Watching the table closely to try to find weaknesses and then stealing whenever possible.

I would appreciate any tips you could offer.

Thanks.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It all depends on your experience and style of play. In my opinion, it is better to wait patiently for strong cards and use the position at the table. Be careful and try to adequately assess your opponents.

M

marcumx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play your a game these are full of inexperienced players. if you don't mind firing more than one bullet use the first one to gauge how everyone plays, the first hours of these are like the online freebies, ppl shoving with anything hoping to get lucky and doubling up

W

Wiflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would play tight and aggressive until the rebuy period ends. The start attacking the blinds a the right time. Good Luck!

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your strategy very much . It will give you a tight image at the table . Then once you feel your opponents out you can start to take advantage of the weaknesses you find at the table . Good luck .

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play the way you always play. Feel it out and adjust.