Bankroll Management for Small SnG

F

FloppyNutzs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So most books and pro suggest that you have have at least 20 buy in to play SnG at a specific level. Does the majority agree with this?

What if you stick to only small 6 man and 9 man SnG that pay back a third of the filed?
Yes you are still going to have variance but if I have a $50 bankroll would it be acceptible to play in a $5 SnG with a filed of 6 or 9 players or is this just bad bankroll management?

Also, what if you just an nit and refuse to deposit over $50 because you feel like you got this, and if worst some to worst you don't mind reaching back into an account to reload your bankroll with another $50?

S

Supmargy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel like people pay too much attention to what pros say or do regarding bankroll management. Sure its good to mention it so winning players are aware of it but lets keep following things in mind :
1. If you’re a losing player,regardless of your Brm you’re always going to be broke.
2. If you can’ t beat micro stakes there’s no point in playing small/average stakes even if you’re following the strictest brm guidelines.

About your last point. If you’re planning on reliading 50 dollarsif you bust your first 50, then your bankroll is 100, not 50.

My advice would be to start small, build up from next to nothing and dont skiplevels

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the ideal bank roll for me is 50 to 100 buy ins. This gives me room to go on a disastrous losing streak and still have the room to crawl out of the hole and grind my way back into a comfortable bank roll cushion.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not adhere to any rules, because I consider everyone to be utter nonsense. If I have money, I play any game I want at the moment. And you advise it otherwise poker will turn into a routine and you will always play in the negative.

nml

nml

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So most books and pro suggest that you have have at least 20 buy in to play SnG at a specific level. Does the majority agree with this?

What if you stick to only small 6 man and 9 man SnG that pay back a third of the filed?
Yes you are still going to have variance but if I have a $50 bankroll would it be acceptible to play in a $5 SnG with a filed of 6 or 9 players or is this just bad bankroll management?

Also, what if you just an nit and refuse to deposit over $50 because you feel like you got this, and if worst some to worst you don't mind reaching back into an account to reload your bankroll with another $50?

Well almost all SnGs pay a third of the field and are 6 or 9, so that’s where the 20 buy ins rule of thumb comes from.

I’m not a fan of the “if worst comes to worst I’ll just reload” mindset. Just an excuse to not follow BRM

I strongly suggest you spend some time with a variance calculator to understand why BRM is important. Remember, an average player at a certain level will go broke pretty quick because of fees. And an average player at $1 + .10 is not the same as an average player at $5 + .50.

Good luck!

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think there is never a real limit, because if you say ok my bank is 100 $ and you play the sng and you do not win at any sng you do not do anything they will always be lost, let's be honest sometimes the players get into a bad streak

F

FloppyNutzs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is why I posted the thread. A few are suggesting they don't care about BRM rules. And other are suggesting you need more bank roll, even up to 100 buy in to play a small 6 or 9 man SnG.

In complete honestly I've never once gone broke and needed to reload while following a looser BRM guidelines for small SnG of needing at least 10 buy ins.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your risk of ruin will depend on your long term sustainable roi. If you are playing double or tripple ups what is your sustainable roi? Most of the double or nothing pros are throwing up low/mid single digit rois these days and that would require around 100 buyins to minimize your risk or ruin. But if you are playing 6max sngs on some small euro site and throwing up 20% roi then you can have a much lower bankroll.

S

Supmargy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is why I posted the thread. A few are suggesting they don't care about BRM rules. And other are suggesting you need more bank roll, even up to 100 buy in to play a small 6 or 9 man SnG.

In complete honestly I've never once gone broke and needed to reload while following a looser BRM guidelines for small SnG of needing at least 10 buy ins.
I believe that if you're aware of your skill level and you're honest to yourself about it, you'll be the person that knows best how much risk you want to take.
If you're a losing player you might want to take a >100 buyin br. That would give you time to improve. If you're crushing the level you're playing at, may 10-15 buyins are enough for you. In both cases it seems like a good calculated risk

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management