Avoid subconscious feelings of good hand catching durations

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Subconsciously people build ideas of how long they should typically go between getting good hands. For instance, if someone typically get one good hand every 15 minutes online then when they’re getting good hands every 8-10 minutes they may start, subconsciously at least, feeling like they’re having a great day and start loosening up their range because they “feel” lucky. On the flipside, if they are only getting a good hand every 30 minutes or so they may start getting anxious and on edge and loosen up their game to make up for the lack of good hands. If you catch yourself feeling these ways then you are falling into the “gambler’s fallacy” which says that what has happened in the past can affect the future. To avoid falling into these traps you must be constantly reminding yourself that your feeling of how long you should go catching good hands is a flawed feeling to begin with. You must somehow find some way of discarding the subconscious feelings of how long you should go between good hands. That part I can’t help you with. I am not a psychologist and cannot tell you how to get rid of subconscious feelings. What I can say is that knowing they exist is the first step in overcoming them. And hopefully I have given you that first step here.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice post. I do find it amazing thew number of players ho many players fall into this trap. I think it mostly comes form not playing enough and only looking at the immediate result.

MrHachiman

MrHachiman

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good reminder Many times we tend to forget these things. For example: It also happens that recently a player is raise 3 or 4 hands in a row and we think: it has to be bluffing, I'm going to pay it with any hand and throw it out of the pot. Well no, it does not have to be doing it. The hands of the past do not affect the ones you receive in the future. And you certainly may have received 3 or 4 good hands in a row.

Galmedic

Galmedic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting theory

its always a good idea to stay away from any ideas that cause us ‘tunnel vision’!

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. that the subconscience can influences our thoughts. Being more cautious and patience requires constant attention for me. Lol.

M

Mateo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah interesting point. As soon as a hand has occured there is no influence of that hand in the next. Even hitting a royal flush doesn't make the odds of hitting a royal on the next hand any slimmer!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands