Am i an idiot?

T

trtnarmy1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So last night i am playing a pokerstars home game. I have 25k from a 20k starting stack and the blinds are 150/300, so its early in the game. I have ace king suited in the BB but there have been 5 limpers, i figure i will just take the pot here and now and put all my chips in. The outcome isn't relevant though i did get called by queen 10 off who hit a straight. Anyway am i an idiot?

Thanks in advance.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think you were an idiot, poker is a game that you have to risk, I always do.

pro100phil

pro100phil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't understand why you push 80+ bb. You could give big raise (8-10 bb) in this situation...

T

trtnarmy1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Didnt see the point in taking the flop, 1800 chips just out there and i thought take it down unopposed.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this situation i would not push all in when you are deep stack with AK. It would be enough to raise 5 or 10 blinds so that all limpers except one or two leave. After that you can see the flop and proceed from there. Risking 83 BB to get 5BB have very bad pot odds.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have too big a stack to shove here. You would get everyone to fold lesser hands with a pot size raise. If the Q10 still called you may have been able to get away from the hand depending how the flop came. Some people also just like to gamble in the home games and micro stake tournaments.

A fox 666

A fox 666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing today in any tournament and having even two aces on hand, you get an answer with any rubbish hand - the modern realities of poker! AK were a good starting hand 5 years ago.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And why didn’t you raise 4bb to get rid of limpers. Then you would play according to the situation. Flop raised to check.

igorneia

igorneia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
So last night i am playing a pokerstars home game. I have 25k from a 20k starting stack and the blinds are 150/300, so its early in the game. I have ace king suited in the BB but there have been 5 limpers, i figure i will just take the pot here and now and put all my chips in. The outcome isn't relevant though i did get called by queen 10 off who hit a straight. Anyway am i an idiot?

Thanks in advance.

idiot not the game of poker is risky, the strategy is always your friend

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not for me to say, except that I see people do the same or riskier all the time early in a tournament. AKs is definitely a premium hand and holds up very well (40/60) against QQ & AQs that will frequently end up together in the same hand with you. Like you said, you often get really surprising hands too like QTo.

In this day and age of "who can play crazier" poker, just about anything seems to go. Throw in the opportunity for a rebuy and people will even throw it all in to defend the blinds with 72. I'VE SEEN THEM DO IT!

Last edited:
zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, regardless of how you play a poker hand you are never an idiot. Besides, in your case you put your money in when you were ahead, and suffered a bad beat, that's what good players do, not idiots.
Your instinct told you that you had the best hand before the flop and should go for the max, keep listening to your instinct. Mark my words: Nothing is worse for a poker player than starting doubting himself.

steveeeee

steveeeee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thanks in advance.
When you go allin with a hand you think is best win or lose you are playing the game enjoy it

steveeeee

steveeeee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thanks in advance.
When you go allin with a hand you think is best win or lose you are playing the game enjoy it

T

trtnarmy1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies.

Different slant on the the situation.

Is the Q T (off) caller to the all in an idiot?

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Calling anyone an idiot is a bit harsh, but it does happen all the time.

I think you could have learned a lot with a big bet, rather than risking 100%. With only two cards known, I am just not a big fan of risking everything.

As for the QTo call. I wouldn't exactly call this brilliant, but we don't know a lot of information. I wouldn't do it, that is for sure. He did not have good pot odds against almost any range for this call.

Idiot? maybe. Just having fun? probably.

V

Vlad Nesterenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thanks in advance.

normal working moment, the luck factor worked (or rather failure), the next time you’re lucky, don’t worry

stylebender72

stylebender72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in this spot shoving more than 80bb is a really terrible play, the fact that your opponents hit a straight or quads or whatever doesnt matter! dont be result oriented, focus on improving your play. In that spot the best play was to isolate using 9bb or 10bb and playing postflop with defined ranges.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's a couple ways to look at it. You do end up getting your hand in with the best of it and got sucked out. And that sucks...

You also want to try to build a stack. AK suited is a very pretty hand but not the best hand pre, especially against that many limpers. You want to protect your equity and your stack. If you whiff the flop you can fold it. If you hit the flop you can take it down then.

I'd say a 5x raise would be better than the all-in. Donkeys call there a lot.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thanks in advance.

In my opinion:
If you were a more skilled player than your opponents, going all in there with AKs was a -EV move.
If you were a less skilled player than your opponents, going all in in the same situation was the best possible decision.
For more details please check out my following thread:
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/general-poker-13/fundamental-theorem-donk-poker-454002/

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Didnt see the point in taking the flop, 1800 chips just out there and i thought take it down unopposed.
the 9% increase is decent but you have such a strong hand preflop that it's better to try extracting some value with it by raising and playing against 1-2 players. your stack is big enough where you can play for 3 streets of value. if you have to fold, you still have a healthy stack.

if you were sitting on 8k, then i like the shove a lot more.

but the shove isn't 100% terrible as you still get called by a lot worse (like q10). however, the risk of busting is still there and it's just not necessary to risk 67 bbs pre in that spot. now if you were 3bet (or even 4bet) jamming 67 bbs in that spot, that's a lot different.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No, not an idiot. You can raise. You can go allin. You have a strong hand. You could lose with aces. If you constantly go allin with this hand and you are called, you will win much more often than lose.

rustixxx

rustixxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes you are an idiot. Well, you don’t get hung up on this, because this is just a game.

L

LSTBrand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a moment

Sometimes it’s better to throw the best an pre flop away.
This could happen to everyone and you are not an idiot.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have to say the better description of both you and the caller would be 'gambler'. You saw easy prey...limpers, and decided to cash in. The caller most likely saw a bluff....an attempt by a large stack to bully the table. Calling with QT isn't a smart play but it's a play I have seen many times. The caller has 2 good cards and simply decides to gamble. He probably had no clue how much of an underdog he could be.

R

rmcmullen2003

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, regardless of how you play a poker hand you are never an idiot..

I would beg to differ.. There are plenty of idiots in my opinion. I am not implying the OP is an idiot at all. You made the right read and had the odds in your favor but I think a decent size raise would have sufficed instead of going all in. Poker is a funny game, for example, sometimes it is better to make a min bet when you are trying to get your opponent to fold. A min raise might get them to think that you have a strong hand and do not want to scare them off with a large bet. I got a little off topic there, but Poker is a lot like chess sometimes but poker takes a much harder toll on your bank account.