Alternative to shoving short stacked

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
I was playing a tournament last night and maybe because of the result, I began to wonder if it would work out better not to necessarily shove preflop just because you are ss'd. This is live tourney with mostly regulars who limp a lot, call if they hit at all or have any draw. This was my situation last night, blinds just rose to 2000/4000. 10 left, ft, 5 itm. I had 37500, was ss, guy to my left had 38000, rest of table were above 50k. I got dealt AKo in ep. I shoved, guy next to me shoved, and a big stack called. Now my thinking is, with these type of players, I believe if I min raise, I still get these same 2 callers and rest fold. The flop is A K 7 rainbow. So if I had min raised, and the shoved flop, I would of more than doubled up, as guy to left who called had 22, and big stack had A Q. So with players like this who don't really understand that calling a min raise for 20% of your stack doesn't make sense, I can occasionally avoid the turn or river suckout by shoving after flop. Instead, the river 2 ended my tournament. I understand normally nothing I can do, but wouldn't my suggestion help occasionally and at worse end same as if I shoved? I guess I'm still aggravated by results when I was like 98% favorite going into river to triple up. Ugh

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Nah. You are pissed because you lost. You played correctly but got coolers. Meh. Joys move on bud