Alternative to shoving short stacked

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing a tournament last night and maybe because of the result, I began to wonder if it would work out better not to necessarily shove preflop just because you are ss'd. This is live tourney with mostly regulars who limp a lot, call if they hit at all or have any draw. This was my situation last night, blinds just rose to 2000/4000. 10 left, ft, 5 itm. I had 37500, was ss, guy to my left had 38000, rest of table were above 50k. I got dealt AKo in ep. I shoved, guy next to me shoved, and a big stack called. Now my thinking is, with these type of players, I believe if I min raise, I still get these same 2 callers and rest fold. The flop is A K 7 rainbow. So if I had min raised, and the shoved flop, I would of more than doubled up, as guy to left who called had 22, and big stack had A Q. So with players like this who don't really understand that calling a min raise for 20% of your stack doesn't make sense, I can occasionally avoid the turn or river suckout by shoving after flop. Instead, the river 2 ended my tournament. I understand normally nothing I can do, but wouldn't my suggestion help occasionally and at worse end same as if I shoved? I guess I'm still aggravated by results when I was like 98% favorite going into river to triple up. Ugh

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nah. You are pissed because you lost. You played correctly but got coolers. Meh. Joys move on bud