All-in on the river

vox1er

vox1er

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds are 5-10k I have about 180k
Final round of quialifying tourney, 16 left only 12 qualify.

Im on the HJ with 9-9, i raise to 20k, and bb who is the most aggressive player on the table flats on Bb.
Flop comes QcQh2s, he checks i Cbet 25k, he call,
Turn is a 8c, he checks, i check it back for pot control.
River brings a Qs, he shoves all in for 100k, What do you do here with 9-9?

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Im on the HJ with 9-9, i raise to 20k, and bb who is the most aggressive player on the table flats on Bb.

You fold as you have no idea of his range. He could easily have Q rag as it was cheap for him to see the flop, when he calls your c bet its obvious he has a hand. With only 4 players away from qualifying it's not worth the risk.

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with 5pAce_C0wb0y

No, I'm not convinced that the villain has a Q, but it's also possible he has a higher pocket pair or flopped hit set of 2s. I'm not saying any of those are the most likely scenario, but this is not cash, and you're on the bubble. If there's even a 1 in 3 chance he has you beat, unlike in cash, I would fold.

The fact that villain has been aggressive in other hands might also make me more likely to fold. He's shown no aggression until the river. Sort of like he's trying to slowplay.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with 5pAce_C0wb0y

No, I'm not convinced that the villain has a Q, but it's also possible he has a higher pocket pair or flopped hit set of 2s. I'm not saying any of those are the most likely scenario, but this is not cash, and you're on the bubble. If there's even a 1 in 3 chance he has you beat, unlike in cash, I would fold.

The fact that villain has been aggressive in other hands might also make me more likely to fold. He's shown no aggression until the river. Sort of like he's trying to slowplay.

Yeah the check call on the flop screams I've got a hand and don't want to scare you off

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You did not bet on the turn in vain. And in any case, I do not see the fold.

It seems that you made an aggressive rally on the initial streets, but did not have a plan for the next game. What were you going to do? Getting another “nine” is understandable, but what if it is not there?

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the previous posts that folding is the best line here because the bubble is so close. I would like to point out that perhaps a better approach for you would have been to check the flop. If you were holding a queen or a pair of 2's it is perhaps more likely that you would check the flop hoping to lay a trap. You both would have more than likely checked to river. Now the bad guy has a bet sizing problem. You have an easy and cheap fold to an all-in. The same would apply to a large value bet. If he bets small you could now call for probably the same amount of your c-bet.

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll agree with gryphon3005 that a check might have been better on the flop.

If the stacks were deep and/or I had a read that this guy folded to a cbet 75%+ of the time, I could better support the flop bet, but at this point, with M at 16, and the bubble pending, I'd play conservatively.

bakreni

bakreni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with 4 more people to go fold its ok i think

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very controversial issue. But since you are close to the prizes, it is better to fold. I wouldn’t raise a on the flop, I’d wait for the opponent’s reaction and fold 99 at the first raise.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi
I would have gone easy from the flop
Instead of risking your stack.
Even if he was bluffing it was not worth the risk at all.