All-in preflop

S

stephenpowell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be clear I never go all in preflop by my choice....damn donks. Anyways if you are sitting almost even chips, someone goes all in preflop and you have pocket kk do you call? Oh yea large multi table tourney. Anyways I did and the guy had AJ hit AJ on the flop and long story short it was the end of my run haha.

Should I have folded?

S.Powell

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be clear I never go all in preflop by my choice....damn donks. Anyways if you are sitting almost even chips, someone goes all in preflop and you have pocket kk do you call? Oh yea large multi table tourney. Anyways I did and the guy had AJ hit AJ on the flop and long story short it was the end of my run haha.

Should I have folded?

S.Powell

Thank U 4 posting

Cardschat has a poker odds calculator put in KK Vs AJ and get your equity %.

Your stack vs there stack means you need 50% equity to call
If you are getting more than 50% equity by using the calculator it was the correct play.
The only time you would fold is in a satellite when you would win a seat without playing this hand

As to never going all-in preflop, in your game vs similar V who would call shoves as weak as AJ or less you should always be shoving preflop with KK AA. If they raise and you shove and they call a wide range, unless they have AA when you have KK you are always on the right side of the math

Poker is not about winning hands it is about maximizing our equity. If your V call your shoves when you have those 2 hands shove them every time preflop

Hope this helps
:)

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Of course it all depends on the situation, but I believe that a pair of kings is a very strong card and you made a risky but correct decision. You just weren't lucky. Do not be sad.

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If I were you, I'll keep calling all in with a pocket kings.

F

fourroses

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello
I think players have mostly AJ ,AQ ,AK or alower pair like 99 ,88 , TT when they go all in pre flop so you have a good chance to win with KK ,i would call

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you feel bad, the only one who sees your cards is You, let it be wrong make a fold, so what, it will not be the end of the world, good luck:)

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Alright so you have a premium hand wich is KK, in my opinion you should push with these hands: AA, KK, QQ
AA is for max value, especially if it's a micro buy-in tournament, players do often calls with marginal hands or lower pairs
with KK or QQ i think it's to chase some weaker aces, Ax, A9o, A10o, AJ
If someone calls you with AK and you hold QQ it's a flip and usually you have to win some filps to make it deep in tournaments

I

Ishnock

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do not fall in love with specific cards, regardless of the rank. Most people have a hard time putting down premium hands. I will put them down in a hard beat, because there will be other hands to give me opportunities to win.

Everything in poker depends on the situation: the type of poker ( cash, sit and go, etc), how the cards are flopping, your position, your stack size, and the play of the villains.

If I'm sitting on KK, and someone shoves with a low stack, and I can cover their stack without losing more than 50 percent of my stack, I will more than likely call.

If I'm ITM in a tourney, and I want to go deeper, where I will need a huge stack to compete for a top ten finish, and the blinds are high, more than likely I will call.

However, if it is EARLY in the tourney, I will not take that chance, regardless of my position. It's too early to coinflip your hand.

I also I do not allow myself to get trapped by people who intentionally shove on every hand to get you to bite. I've seen people get ruthlessly destroyed in those situations. I may go all in against a shover 1-3 times out of the entire tourney, and no more than that.

Also, people don't pay attention to the routine of the flop. I try to zero in on that as much as possible. If the board flopped several KKs prior to me getting pocket KK, then, more than likely, I'm only going to have a pair for a strong hand. So I will slow play them.

Preflop, Pocket premium pairs are nothing but 1 pair. The second lowest hand. That's it. That's all they are.

S

stephenpowell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

Thanks for all the different perspectives everyone!

S.Powell

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
all-in game is a lottery), but if you have KK, you can't throw them away... there is no situation on the preflop that does not play all in.. You can lose, it's a failure, but playing is the right decision-absolutely! don't worry) the main thing is to remove the opponent's bad hands with a good bet and wait for a good table for yourself ;) good luck ;)

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think all in preflop is pure gambling,like betting.
If you have AA you have excelent odds,but if you have 2 7 you ahve a really bad odds,but still you can win even with 2 7,it is gambling.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop smoothly all-in call K, K.

A few times they will surely be overdone but still smoothly profitable. It will be like being hit with some rubbish, but in the long run it is still worth the all-in call even in the early stages of a tournament.

It hurts when the Kings are beaten and one tends to remember these only instead of the winning hands but poker is like that.

N

no_girl1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I lose a lot of $... Set Set Set

Yes, I think in 12-26BB better to go all in whit any good hand's AA, KK same. A got 6 times in 2 days AA,KK<22,55,66 etc....((

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Next time you get kings give them to me, I'll go all in without thinking twice. I'll trade you my 72 so you can make an easy fold, and we're both happy :)

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This is a classic case of only looking at the results of one single hand, rather than the long term profitability of the situation.

If you were told you were going to be dealt KK vs AJ all in preflop 100 times and every time KK won, you win $100 and every time you lose, you lose $100, you'd take the bet, right? As a one off, you might think twice about risking $100, but with 100 chances, it's a dead cert to make you money.

That is how you should approach poker.

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that its depends of the tournament and your situation, but usually with a good hand you can go all in preflop. Other two things important are your position and your stack :)

Sorry for my english :D