All-In with a Draw?

Sicamous

Sicamous

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I'm just hoping for a little feedback about calling an all-in Early in tourney, after the Turn with a hand that has not hit but has many draws.
For instance-all the following: double-ended straight, any flush card and a higher pair than the opponent.

I did just do this but I don't normally. Normally I'd just fold it. I didn't hit any draw on the river this time and got knocked out of tourney but still wondering if it is generally correct to just call?

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Doing that early in a tournament I think it is not very convenient and I say it thinking it is very early in the tournament, from my point of view the risk is very high and perhaps you should have had a lot, but of course at some point we have to take that kind of risk but sometimes it works and other times it doesn't, I think you should have your intuition activated 100% in plays like this, but above all be very careful without overconfidence.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
...would help if you posted the hand, how much did you have invested in the pot, what were the odds, what were the exact outs, .....but I will say if you had as many outs as you suggest with a lot invested in the pot your call may have been the only play, but hard to say without more info really👍

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
I'm just hoping for a little feedback about calling an all-in Early in tourney, after the Turn with a hand that has not hit but has many draws.
For instance-all the following: double-ended straight, any flush card and a higher pair than the opponent.

I did just do this but I don't normally. Normally I'd just fold it. I didn't hit any draw on the river this time and got knocked out of tourney but still wondering if it is generally correct to just call?
I think this should be good when the tournament is free and with short chips, but if is important you should use strategies

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Any s*%#&(% can win at poker.

Don't try to understand the incomprehensible!!!
The important thing is that you try again because of 'variance' as they say.

Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

If it's a rebuy tournament, I think it's great to do it early, that way if you hit you're in an excellent position, and if you bust out, you can rebuy and be at near the number of BBs you had to start. Especially if you're probably ahead EV wise.

ztibor72

ztibor72

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I would only call this in a rebuy tournament.
You will have an even better chance at the tournament.

Sicamous

Sicamous

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
...would help if you posted the hand, how much did you have invested in the pot, what were the odds, what were the exact outs, .....but I will say if you had as many outs as you suggest with a lot invested in the pot your call may have been the only play, but hard to say without more info really👍
You are right I should have posted that hand. I was just wondering about *in general* tho but I still agree I should have posted that too.
From memory, I had a suited hand with a K and raised pre, was then re-raised and I called that. Flopped a flush draw and opponent bet that and I called again (it was a big bet) but then I turned an open ended straight so I had that, the flush draw still and an unpaired K. He had pocket JJ. It was me in SB and them in BB.

In general though, I wondered if in the future I should play it the same way.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
In general, this hand is called a combined monster draw. And with such a hand, it would be better to show maximum aggression on the turn, realizing to the maximum your fold equity!

Sicamous

Sicamous

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Thanks to everyone for feedback. I agree maybe best mainly in free or rebuy tournaments .

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends among other things on the pot odds, you were getting. If the jam was for full pot, you need 33% equity to make a break even call. If it was 2 times the pot, you need 40%. And if it was half pot, you only need 25%. These numbers are, what we call chip-EV. In tournaments chips won are less worth than chips lost, so we want to make more than just a break even call in chip EV. However if it was early in the tournament, and the opponent could put you all-in on the turn, you had likely lost most of your chips. In that situation its fine to basically play in chip EV and try to get back in the game.

So to find your answer, you calculate your pot odds, and then you download Equilab, which is a free program. Once downloaded you plug in your hand, the board and the range, you assume, your opponent would play this way. Then you click "calculate" and the program tell you, how much equity you had against the opponents percieved range. You can play around with this a bit and give him a worst case range, a best case range, and something realistic in between. And then you have your answer. If you had enough equity without resorting to a best case range, then you made a fine call, which just did not work out this time. If not you made a bad call, and you learn from the hand and try to not repeat the mistake in other hands.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I usually just fold the first hand out of superstition! I don't even look at the cards! depends on my position at the table and whether I have posted a blind or not but generally I just muck them. Starting a Tournament is difficult unless you already know the players at the table, but waiting to get a little information on who the aggressive players are is vital so that you know when to play back at them, and when to avoid them.
Once in a similar situation I had 4 cards to a Flush and 2 straight draws which I made a remark about on the Turn card so when my opponent bet on the turn I had to call, I missed all hands on the River but the only way I could win was to bluff at the hand, fortunately I had told the table what I was going after and as the River card could have made me a Straight I bet out at it.
My opponent folded 2 pair thinking I had made my Straight and was sick when I showed the bluff with only bottom pair.
Table talk is a tool that everyone can use, but you need to know your opponents.

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’ve made shoves or called shoves usually on multiple draws but only in freerolls bc sometimes I just don’t care. In a buy in I’ll only do that if I’m already itm and running low on chips

Sicamous

Sicamous

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
It depends among other things on the pot odds, you were getting. If the jam was for full pot, you need 33% equity to make a break even call. If it was 2 times the pot, you need 40%. And if it was half pot, you only need 25%. These numbers are, what we call chip-EV. In tournaments chips won are less worth than chips lost, so we want to make more than just a break even call in chip EV. However if it was early in the tournament, and the opponent could put you all-in on the turn, you had likely lost most of your chips. In that situation its fine to basically play in chip EV and try to get back in the game.

So to find your answer, you calculate your pot odds, and then you download Equilab, which is a free program. Once downloaded you plug in your hand, the board and the range, you assume, your opponent would play this way. Then you click "calculate" and the program tell you, how much equity you had against the opponents percieved range. You can play around with this a bit and give him a worst case range, a best case range, and something realistic in between. And then you have your answer. If you had enough equity without resorting to a best case range, then you made a fine call, which just did not work out this time. If not you made a bad call, and you learn from the hand and try to not repeat the mistake in other hands.

I do have Equilab and have taken some of the free poker courses available.... so now I feel a little silly about asking! *laughs* Thanks for this reminder. I haven't opened Equilab in a long time! This is a perfect time to start (and continue) to use that.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well the flush and straight draws is 9 + 6 + (( 6 ) for the overs depending on color and connections) that gives you roughly 42% chance to hit, so you at least slightly are behind, then comes,... the how big the winning will be in the end, and how must you have to pay to enter in the draw.

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Can you please post the hand 🤚. Anyway it all depends on the situation.

1. How many big blinds you have and the Villain 🦹‍♀️ has.

2. The position of the villain cause earlier positions are usually strong 💪 hands 🙌.

3. What kind of draw ✍️ is it a draw to the nuts 🌰?

Summary: you have to win 🥇 flips to win tournaments 🏟 but it depends on the situation this is my opinion. Thank you 🙏 for your question 🙋‍♀️.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
it's better to do this when you don't have enough chips or when you still leave the tournament, then you can try your luck at 30%, but I think it's better not to do this and try to refrain from such a situation or not get into such a situation, and if you hit it, throw away these cards

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on stack to pot ratio on turn and opponents tendency to fold.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think when your given the correct odds to call all in you should honestly think about calling. Early in the tournament I do think a bit decently. If you can rebuy you could take a shot but then you have to relive a min cash and then some will not net, you a profit. I have seen way more often recently players rebuying in several time where they need to get near the final table or make the final table just to break even. Early on I will make the call, but I do want slightly better odds when I do. Most people i believe over estimate there odds so I add that extra to make I don't make that error.

_420_420_

_420_420_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Many players play with a strategy of planning to have at least 3-buy ins ready for a tournament... So if you are willing to do this then by all means you can play that way when you have the option of rebuying