Advice: Get your head in the game

B

bucky_barnes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just curious, how do you personally garner focus pre-game, and maintain it during game?
I just keep what my goal is in mind at all times. I play microstakes tournaments, so my focus is going to be on maximizing my profits, making final table, and winning. MTTs are a contest and I want to be the one of the best players at the end of the game. Maybe not overall, but at least in that particular tournament.

It won't always in that order as it'll depend on the situation. If I was a short stack near the bubble, I might focus more on min-cashing to maximize profits first. If I had 30 bbs with KK on the bubble, facing an all-in that covers me, I wouldn't be worried about the small profit and would focus on maximizing my chances of making deep, so I would call to try and win a big pot at the risk of not cashing.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should really want to play and look forward to every hand with great impatience and come up with many options at the table, so that your thoughts are constantly in motion and you do not get tired of long tournaments. Constant study of opponents, analysis of your own and someone else's game is also necessary and helps you kill time and get the necessary knowledge for the game! :) A good option would be music in the background, but not in headphones, because it distracts you quite a lot. Not bad advice, a comfortable and soft chair, not what is necessary for a tense game. Drink a very lot of water and constantly get up from your seat, translate your gaze on other things and breathe fresh air :). I think it's not worth tight and eating a lot, but and bad to starve! :) Therefore, fruits or vegetables are what you need ;)

T

tladake

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
to keep focus all the game I just choose shorter games, like spin&go or not to crowded tournaments. I prefer to play 3 shorter games than one long. I can not focus for long time and I stopped to fight it, just choose the game that fits me.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually have understanding, concentration and full concentration of attention during the game, if this does not happen, then there will be no success

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of good stuff from the pros:
https://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news/26067-poker-strategy-getting-your-head-in-the-game

Just curious, how do you personally garner focus pre-game, and maintain it during game?

Not much as pre-game. unfortunately i live in a neighborhood where these new wave robots can't speak with normal volume. Able only shuting, so better not to start to play until they are turned on. After need some time to chill, or I have to use the headset the hole day, even in the garden if I go out in breaktime or before i start.

So I prefer to play in the nights, it is quiet, no annoying noises, speaker head humanoids, the retard phones not beeping every minute, the horn pusher&crazy drivers out (what is ironic, because i live in countryside, max 100 cars pass/day in the street, but for some reason every 2nd must push horn or burn some tyres front of us...) etc., so the most disturbing things are 'turned off' in the night. I am sure, I could play better, have even much better results, if i would/could live in a cottage in the middle of nowhere.

In nights, i rarely can't focus for poker asap i sit down playing, even that is mostly because of the usual daily happenings, craps.

If I play on less tables than usually, need some second activity what doesn't take away my concentration but still helps not to run out from patiance during game.

Top 10 Games