Advice for my first "big" (not so big, but for me) Tournament

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello! I have a $ 33 ticket for a tournament with a prize of $ 12,000. I had never played tournaments more than $ 3 entry and most of the time I have entered the money and I have arrived two or three times at the final table. But they are small tournaments and I am sure that in this there will be better players, so I would like to know if there is something I should know to make the "jump" to this bigger prize. I appreciate any advice. Sorry if I have errors in the message, I am not very good in English.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play your game and remain as comfortable as possible. Do NOT be intimidated by the jump in stakes and the notion that the other players may or may not be better. I've seen horrible and really good players at all stakes. Don't get cute or fancy. Just play your solid game and let the chips fall where they may. Good luck.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In fact, the compositions of players at different levels of rates practically do not differ. Everywhere there is your fish, everywhere there are sharks. Just play your game, not paying attention to the cost of the ticket.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Enjoy the game. Yes its a bigger game than you are used to but the thing is we all play poker for the fun of it. the money we win is just a way to keep count. Just play your game and you will do fine.

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just play your game. If its a big field and/or slower blind increases be a little more patient. Be selective early and pick your spots.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think you should consider other factors beyond your gameplay. Do you have enough time to play the tournament comfortably and make a deep run? Should you join at the start or is there a long late registration period, so you could choose to join later? How fast do the blinds increase and is it worthwhile waiting a bit to let the competition thin out before joining?

I would say be well rested, make sure you have enough time to play uninterrupted, and be patient - way more patient than you have been in your other tournaments so far. You will likely start with a bigger stack and the whole process of playing will take much longer. Attrition of attention and patience play bigger roles.

M

Millie232

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$33 is still quite a small tournament and it won’t be as hard as you’re expecting it to be, but people will be a little bit better than they are in a three dollar tournament. Just play your normal game: tighter at the beginning and then using your tight image near the bubble to push people around.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Interesting to hear your advice on how to play tournaments if hyper turbo?:icon_bigs

D

darpblog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most important part is to not feel intimidated. Work on your mental approach beforehand because you can't be scared at the table. If you have that down all that is left is play your normal game. There are fish at every level, and the only difference is that the best players are better, but there's nothing you can do about that.

K

kapobar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do not be scared on the table, dont let to easy steal your chips, they are more agressive on higher level. Play your game

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recently played a 10kgtd event - up from my normal $50-$100gtd events.
I didn't see any difference in play vs my regular micro events. However I only played about 20 hands.
I didn't bust out, the event had technical malfunctions and was cancelled. Unfortunate too because I had just cracked the top 1000 players in a field of 9999.

Since the event was a hyper turbo - I did feel a little rushed initially. But I quickly adjusted and was playing well before the event terminiated.

GL in the event, if it is still upcoming.

Related to puzzlefish's comment about other considerations, I recently earned a ticket to a 2k event by winning a satellite freeroll tourney. I've chosen to delay playing in that event because the event has rebuys/addons and my current bankroll can not afford paying for those. Since most players will buy an addon for the cost of admission I think that would put me at a disadvantage to play the event and not be able to afford the addon, when other players get it.

C

curiplop

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I assure you that the level is very similar to a 5 usd tournament, as advice I would give you to play your 3 usd tournaments the same, if it costs you first analyze your table without playing hands and when you identify how they play empices to do your thing, Now if you have AA KK QQ it is inevitable to play thoroughly