Adjustments to freerolls/hyper tournaments

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all

I'm building up a micro bankroll from freerolls and trying to take the game seriously (I've started upswing, bought poker tracker, and I see aces in my dreams), but was hoping better players than I am had some advice on adjusting to the high-variance structure.

My pre and postflop gameplay both need a lot of work obviously - but one thing I've noticed over my past week or so of sessions is as I've tightened up my game to something approximating the MTT ranges I've found, I'll find myself just about blinding off a lot.

Should I be raising any AXo from ep? Treat any suited broadway like a suited ace? Treat TT like AA? Am I just finding out the other parts of my pre and postflop game suck? : )

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all

I'm building up a micro bankroll from freerolls and trying to take the game seriously (I've started upswing, bought poker tracker, and I see aces in my dreams), but was hoping better players than I am had some advice on adjusting to the high-variance structure.

My pre and postflop gameplay both need a lot of work obviously - but one thing I've noticed over my past week or so of sessions is as I've tightened up my game to something approximating the MTT ranges I've found, I'll find myself just about blinding off a lot.

Should I be raising any AXo from ep? Treat any suited broadway like a suited ace? Treat TT like AA? Am I just finding out the other parts of my pre and postflop game suck? : )

Thanks for any advice!

Hey there!

Love hearing people taking the game seriously.

First off you should never try and make your numbers match anything... this is a huge leak that affects many online players. Your statistics should be what they are based on your play not from you trying to mimic the numbers.

For example lets say you play 7% of your range for EP 10% of your range from MP and 20-35% of your range from LP by default this will average you playing around 17% VPIP you also want to be aggro so don't play tight passive limping and folding often this is terrible. Since you are tightening your range plan to win the hands that you open a high majority of the time. Your raise range should be slightly lower than your VPIP but only because only hands you shouldn't be raising our when you flat call in position with marginal hands which shouldn't happen that often.

All that to say you shouldn't be playing a standard percentage of hands to mimic range percentages Early tournament your hand ranges will mimic that of a cash game a much tighter range like 7% EP 10% MP 20-35% LP

Middle tournament depending on your stack size slightly looser range, 9% EP 12% MP 25%-35% LP

Later in the tournament depending on your stack size 12% EP 18%MP 30%-40% LP (All of these are examples that are obviously adjustable but made close enough to give a helping understanding. If you need help knowing what cards fit in these percentage ranges you can go to google and find a poker hand range calculator just put in the percentage and it will give you the hands in that specific range. You should also be able to use these ranges to classify each villain and come up with a decent range calculation for each player your up against, and this will help you with post flop play that you seem to struggle with.

You can't ask specific questions about specific hands such as should I be raising Ax for EP because each table is different, and its more important to fit your range around the table dynamic such as a table filled with LAG players would have different EP open ranges than a table full of rocks and the specifics change based on game type stack size and amount of bb's

you def. do not treat any suited broad way like a suited A

and you def. do not treat 10's like Aces. for ex. tens can be a fold to some 3 bets and an easy fold to a 4bet from tight passive

Sorry for the long response but this is need to know information. If any of this doesn't make sense or you want me to go into more detail on any of it let me know.

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey there!

First off you should never try and make your numbers match anything... this is a huge leak that affects many online players. Your statistics should be what they are based on your play not from you trying to mimic the numbers.

For example lets say you play 7% of your range for EP 10% of your range from MP and 20-35% of your range from LP by default this will average you playing around 17% VPIP you also want to be aggro so don't play tight passive limping and folding often this is terrible. Since you are tightening your range plan to win the hands that you open a high majority of the time. Your raise range should be slightly lower than your VPIP but only because only hands you shouldn't be raising our when you flat call in position with marginal hands which shouldn't happen that often.

All that to say you shouldn't be playing a standard percentage of hands to mimic range percentages Early tournament your hand ranges will mimic that of a cash game a much tighter range like 7% EP 10% MP 20-35% LP

Middle tournament depending on your stack size slightly looser range, 9% EP 12% MP 25%-35% LP

Later in the tournament depending on your stack size 12% EP 18%MP 30%-40% LP (All of these are examples that are obviously adjustable but made close enough to give a helping understanding. If you need help knowing what cards fit in these percentage ranges you can go to google and find a poker hand range calculator just put in the percentage and it will give you the hands in that specific range. You should also be able to use these ranges to classify each villain and come up with a decent range calculation for each player your up against, and this will help you with post flop play that you seem to struggle with.

You can't ask specific questions about specific hands such as should I be raising Ax for EP because each table is different, and its more important to fit your range around the table dynamic such as a table filled with LAG players would have different EP open ranges than a table full of rocks and the specifics change based on game type stack size and amount of bb's

and you def. do not treat 10's like Aces. for ex. tens can be a fold to some 3 bets and an easy fold to a 4bet from tight passive

Sorry for the long response but this is need to know information. If any of this doesn't make sense or you want me to go into more detail on any of it let me know.

No - this is great, thank you!

Would an easy way to wrap my head around it for now is adjusting my range is essentially playing like I'm in an earlier or later position, until I can start learning more technical range vs ranges?

Edit: for RFI and 3bet

I understand the given ones are just a baseline and definitely try not to follow them to a t (I'd never steal blinds otherwise), but I guess maybe the answer to "why is it hard to know how far to adjust my range?" might just be "because it's hard" : )

Thanks again!

Last edited:
MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No - this is great, thank you!

Would an easy way to wrap my head around it for now is adjusting my range is essentially playing like I'm in an earlier or later position, until I can start learning more technical range vs ranges?

Edit: for RFI and 3bet

I understand the given ones are just a baseline and definitely try not to follow them to a t (I'd never steal blinds otherwise), but I guess maybe the answer to "why is it hard to know how far to adjust my range?" might just be "because it's hard" : )

Thanks again!

To simplify it play tight when opening in early position and loosen your opening range when in position. to start out and not get too hard on yourself have a tight 3 bet range like 5% but understand that will change as you expand your game. and I noticed you edited for RFI there are raise first in charts as well if you feel like studying those just remember the charts are specifying a range to play if you're the opener meaning the action has folded to you. If the pot has been open limped or already opened you will need to default to 3 bet ranges you are no longer in the RFI range. Unless you want to get into squeezing then that would completely change your range against multiple players flat calling.

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To simplify it play tight when opening in early position and loosen your opening range when in position. to start out and not get too hard on yourself have a tight 3 bet range like 5% but understand that will change as you expand your game. and I noticed you edited for RFI there are raise first in charts as well if you feel like studying those just remember the charts are specifying a range to play if you're the opener meaning the action has folded to you. If the pot has been open limped or already opened you will need to default to 3 bet ranges you are no longer in the RFI range. Unless you want to get into squeezing then that would completely change your range against multiple players flat calling.

Understood - I'm going to have to spend a lot of time with range vs range stuff; for now I've just been trying to usually 3bet the very top of my range from each position and occasionally some hands from the bottom of it.

Thanks again - I get stuck on concepts a lot and it's great to have a community like this to ask

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Understood - I'm going to have to spend a lot of time with range vs range stuff; for now I've just been trying to usually 3bet the very top of my range from each position and occasionally some hands from the bottom of it.

Thanks again - I get stuck on concepts a lot and it's great to have a community like this to ask

For sure! ask away. It's a great community that generally cares about others and growing poker. We are all here trying to succeed. I'll be looking forwards to seeing if there is anything else I can help with.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey there!

yo MemphisGrind , I just love the way you speak in this post , seems very sound advice and the poker jargon is just fantastic :) keep it up and we'll all be at wsop final tables

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yo MemphisGrind , I just love the way you speak in this post , seems very sound advice and the poker jargon is just fantastic :) keep it up and we'll all be at WSOP final tables

That's the plan! in the next couple of years I will be more prominent around the tournament scene. More directly the WSOP circuit and a few other series. I hope to get a chance to play with all members of CC at some point. Thank you for the kind words!

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Get Snapshove, will help you learn the basics of shortstack poker.

Freeroll Passwords