Adjusting to different level of ITM payout?

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you guys adjust your game differently as you near the bubble base on the ITM/buy-in Ratio?

Lets say

Tourny A buy in was $10. ITM is $12.

Vs

Tourny B buy in is $10. ITM is $33

Do you change you approach given the same number of blinds left as you close in the bubble.

yomarianob

yomarianob

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, definitely.. In both cases I would play tight if I'm short nearing the bubble, but if the min-cash is 3 times the buy-in as in your example, I will find myself folding QQ or AK just to make that cash. Makes a lot of sense in the long-term.

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It shouldn't affect your game. I try to focus on my game and to use my stack and passive play other players may have at that point. In other example you mentioned it's always rebuy/turbo structure and you are already set on turbo, i wouldn't be passive there neither. I always wonder, if anyone is good with just getting ITM why they play MTTs anyway, there's SNGs for that, so with that logic i'm just trying to build my stack and go for higher ranks.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would just play safe until it gets to the itm bubble and then I will think about focusing on the final table and always playing solid and safe so as not to throw away the tournament.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
In theory it shouldn't affect your game as already mentioned, you should always play your strategy.

BUT.

That is just theory that 99% of players can not pull off. Human nature. Whenever you are in a high buy in high reward MTT, players play differently with the mind on the ladder.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be honest, I don’t care what contribution and how much for the last place I play as usual. Another thing is what goal you set for yourself to enter the minimum prizes or reach the final table.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am thinking it should matter, unless you are playing King of the Mountain and 1st prize takes all. If a higher percentage of the payout is spread towards non final table, then that part of the tournament should have a bigger impact.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If a min-cash is just over the buyin, there is less ICM-pressure near the bubble, so it will tend to matter less.