KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi
I often play in online tournaments with rebuys, re-enters and add ons. I always take advantage of the add ons, even though i think they a scam to make the sites more monies and kick up the buy-in. The buy-in was $1... then a rebuy and three re-enters and an add on, suddenly the whole thing cost $6
Recently a poker friend said its dumb spend $ for the add on, not need it. Question what you think about add ons? I always purchase them, else think i miss out?

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the whole idea of playing in a R&A (Rebuy/Add-on) tournament is to make use of the Add-on when it's needed. If you are never going to use the add-on or re-buy you might aswell just play a normal freezeout without add-ons.

If the majority of the field uses the add-on and you dont it puts you at a disadvantage.

All the rebuys and add-ons get added to the prize pool, so you should be able to account for the extras on your buy-in and still get good value. Just dont go overboard.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Depends on chips/add-on, the size of the field that remains, and your own stack. Sometimes you just need one add-on and just chip up through the competition.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Depends on the structure of tournament, payout structure and your chip stack at time of add on.

It is always better to plan ahead before you play a rebuy tourney. Normally set a limit on how many times you are going to rebuy and if you are going to take an addon.

I would say that if an addon would boost your stack by less than 10% of your stack do not take it.

I do not take add on those cash freebuy as well. The add on on those are normally almost the same as a min cash or just below does not make sense to decrease profit margin for the gain you get in chips.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play tournaments with rebay. I think this is not fair. It infuriates me.

badboydean00

badboydean00

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi hi
I often play in online tournaments with rebuys, re-enters and add ons. I always take advantage of the add ons, even though i think they a scam to make the sites more monies and kick up the buy-in. The buy-in was $1... then a rebuy and three re-enters and an add on, suddenly the whole thing cost $6
Recently a poker friend said its dumb spend $ for the add on, not need it. Question what you think about add ons? I always purchase them, else think i miss out?
in the freerolls i will have 1 rebuy and 1 add on that is all ...if i dont proceed further i have not lost too much.........

an9312

an9312

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
i usually dont do the add on. ive heard different arguments but its really up to each individual. i guess if you are in the bottom part of the tournament perhaps its not a bad move...

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are tournaments where you would get the same amount of chips at add on that you would get in the initial buy. These chips are going to make a difference about 5% of the time.

There are some where you get a little more and that might slightly add to your chances.

Then there are tournaments where you get 10 times the amount of chips at the add on. In these tournaments the add on is an extreme value and almost essential no matter what.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since i only late reg into these games, i always take the add-on.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general you should buy as many chips as you can as early as you can.

This will ensure that you are prepared for a full double up that will help you run deep.

Good luck !

bakreni

bakreni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
add on its good if the stack is small are add on is big...in pokerstar 1rebay mtt have add on 30 k chips

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the value, where you are on the leaderboard, and how late you can do the add-on. I played in a live tournament where the buy-in was 120 and you get 25k in chips, and 5 dollars get you 5k more. You can't pass that kind of value up.

J

jonlama

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been debating this question myself lately. in addition to playing on line pretty much every day, I play in a live tournament locally 3 times a week. It's a build a stack structure with no rebuys. You can buy in for 20-60, and you get 20-60k in chips, respectively. An add-on is offered at the break with the same format, 20-60 for 20-60k in chips. I never do the add-on. I am usually able to double my stack by the first break. I almost always buy in for 40 and can usually be at 80-100 by the break, which at that point in the tournament is good. Blinds are at 500/1000 after the break, so I usually have a decent stack. Most people do add on. I've been considering doing the add on lately but haven't started doing it yet. I cash about 15% of the time. Thoughts?

U

Unashamed88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is almost never a situation where you don't want to add-on. I've been told by numerous poker pros to always buy the add-on. With rebuys however you need to be very careful with what M level your entering when you make the rebuy. Best of luck!