r_iiiichard

r_iiiichard

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would like an opinion about the size of the initial bets that is common to use at the start of an MTT and up to which level you use. From the middle stage onwards it is very common to use the mini raise, however what do you think of it? Is it okay to change the size according to the position on the table?

Leave your opinion for ragular / turbo / hyper tournaments and if there are also considerations for tournaments with bounty.

C

corieaddison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don't think it changes enough to change your betting size that much from early tourney time or late tourney time. I will usually stick to 2-3 times and that seems to work.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like an opinion about the size of the initial bets that is common to use at the start of an MTT and up to which level you use. From the middle stage onwards it is very common to use the mini raise, however what do you think of it? Is it okay to change the size according to the position on the table?

Leave your opinion for ragular / turbo / hyper tournaments and if there are also considerations for tournaments with bounty.

For regular 2.5X to 3x is the norm, especially later in tournies. Early when everyone has many more BB you can raise more. If you have a strong hand you don't want to scare everyone off, you want to win some chips. Also depends on how the table is playing.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I generally raise anywhere from the minimum up to 4.5BB but most commonly 2.5-3BB. I use this sizing range through all stages of a tournament, the specific amount within that range that I choose in any given spot is governed by: my stack size; my opponents' stack sizes; my position; the strength of my hand and what I'm trying to achieve with the raise; the size of the blinds; the number of players remaining at the table; my recent action and how the table has reacted to different bet sizes in the past.

W

Wiliest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet sizes are often situational, with the norm being 2-3x. The reason people start to min. raise in the later stages is due to SPR considerations. Usually a lower raise sizing equates to a wider range and a bigger bet sizing equates to a tighter range, all else being equal. It all comes down to situational factors and your personal preferences; what ranges you play in specific spots, etc.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would not worry about changing the value of your raises by position as I don't think it worth worrying about. Raising about 3BB give or take is about the norm early in tournament and do get lower as the game goes on. I would not go much lover than 2.5X though. As you do, i see the min bets at time but they also help in making the BB have great odds to call you very wide. How many time I have seen big hands go down to a trash hand in the BB because they min raised.