Was this a really bad board read?

I

Ishnock

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m not bitter, just perplexed. I’m an intermediate poker player, but just started playing online recently. I was in a free roll tourney on ACR.

I won two hands to get my chips up to 2000 from a 1500 start , and just moving along to grind. I get A7 all hearts in middle position of a 9 player table. I never play an Ace aggressively with a Low number card, so I simply call preflop.

The table flops 6h4h9C, so I have a high Ace flush in the works. Can’t remember the pot, but most had folded by then, and I was up against the SB. He checks, so I bet 50 chips just to feel him out. He calls, and the Qh comes off the turn, so I’m in with an Ace high flush...

He checks, so at that point I’m reading the board, and saying he can’t have anything higher than a flush or three of a kind with a Queen. My Ace high flush is a decent strong hand, so I bet the pot, putting it at 540 (from 270) . He calls , Qc comes off the river. So the board reads 6h4h9cQhQc. He immediately goes all in( 1720 chips) ,so now I’m intensely reading the board. I’m thinking to myself: He think he has me with a three of a kind or a Q high flush. Full house did hit my mind, but only for a minute. I’m like my Ace high flush is a decent strong hand, So I sense a bluff and call. He shows Q9 for a full house, wipes me out.

My tourney run was all over

Was it a tremendously bad read on my part?

In a live game the chances of someone having a full house queens over an Ace high flush is pretty low. Full house beating flush happens commonly, but I’m speaking on the type of full house and type of flush. The card generation just seems off .

Did I mess up my discipline? I just want to play it right in the future. It’s like you have to have a killer hand to really feel confident. I don’t want to fall into that mind state.

Thank you.

Last edited:
A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m not bitter, just perplexed. I’m an intermediate poker player, but just started playing online recently. I was in a free roll tourney on ACR.

I won two hands to get my chips up to 2000 from a 1500 start , and just moving along to grind. I get A7 all hearts in middle position of a 9 player table. I never play an Ace aggressively with a Low number card, so I simply call preflop.

The table flops 6h4h9C, so I have a high Ace flush in the works. Can’t remember the pot, but most had folded by then, and I was up against the SB. He checks, so I bet 50 chips just to feel him out. He calls, and the Qh comes off the turn, so I’m in with an Ace high flush...

He checks, so at that point I’m reading the board, and saying he can’t have anything higher than a flush or three of a kind with a Queen. My Ace high flush is a decent strong hand, so I bet the pot, putting it at 540 (from 270) . He calls , Qc comes off the river. So the board reads 6h4h9cQhQc. He immediately goes all in( 1720 chips) ,so now I’m intensely reading the board. I’m thinking to myself: He think he has me with a three of a kind or a Q high flush. Full house did hit my mind, but only for a minute. I’m like my Ace high flush is a decent strong hand, So I sense a bluff and call. He shows Q9 for a full house, wipes me out.

In a live game the chances of someone having a full house queens over an Ace high flush is pretty low. Full house beating flush happens commonly, but I’m speaking on the type of full house and type of flush. The card generation just seems off .

Did I mess up my discipline? I just want to play it right in the future. It’s like you have to have a killer hand to really feel confident. I don’t want to fall into that mind state.

Thank you.

To me it sounds like the right call. Sounds like you do not have much of a read on the person yet. And to put him on the nuts, would mean you believe he would not shove with anything else in his range. If however , you have a decent read on the guy and believe you know his style of play, and know the person to be a nit its a different story. Again just my opinion.

It will be interesting to see how others respond.

B

Bilgefisher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure I would have played it differently from you. Its not uncommon for folks to limp many cards in these freerolls and let the others be aggressive.

jovan123

jovan123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me it sounds like the right call. Sounds like you do not have much of a read on the person yet. And to put him on the nuts, would mean you believe he would not shove with anything else in his range. If however , you have a decent read on the guy and believe you know his style of play, and know the person to be a nit its a different story. Again just my opinion.

It will be interesting to see how others respond.
You definitely made the right call you had no real choice since you were pot committed as well and he could at times be trying to bluff you off your hand and easily could if had a K high flush as well so don't stress on that call and you will definitely see that hand again in the future

S

Scroooob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thank you.

you bet too small on the flop; I hate min bets esp on the draw. all in should win it on the flop. yet you are getting called on the turn.