A rag shove on final table

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm looking for a bit of insight into what to do at the final table with around 10 BB & holding an Ace rag (also interested to know if a shove with KQ, A10, JQ which are all a go in normal circumstances excluding money jumps)
Recently was chip leading the daily freeroll, lost a flip, had A3s at the final table & shipped it in early position got called by J10 & lost.
Feels really loose & wondering what hands I should be playing here with 10 BB at the final table leading half the table.
Cheers

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It depends on some other factors. Is everyone this short of shorter. Is there a very short stack or 2 about to go out and how big the pay jump is. Also the position I am in. and what type of players we are against.

If there is no short stack about to go out in late position I will shove all those hands you listed from the cutoff almost every time. In early position I will shove all but the QJ every time. With QJ I may if I feel there is no player that will just call me with total junk every time.

If there is a player about to go out and we are 9 handed, I will take the pay jump into consideration. If 1st is say $25 but 8th is 2.50 and 9th is 2.00 I will shove looking to double up for the win. If there is 4 left and the payout jump if say 4th is $6.00 but 3rd is $10.00 now I may fold the weakest of the shoving hands here.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good play. There is luck in poker.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm looking for a bit of insight into what to do at the final table with around 10 BB & holding an Ace rag (also interested to know if a shove with KQ, A10, JQ which are all a go in normal circumstances excluding money jumps)
Recently was chip leading the daily freeroll, lost a flip, had A3s at the final table & shipped it in early position got called by J10 & lost.
Feels really loose & wondering what hands I should be playing here with 10 BB at the final table leading half the table.
Cheers

under normal circumstances, if we ignore ICM, payjumps, Shorter stacks:
Position is key
A3s with 10bb EP should be a fold while the same Hand in LP is a clear shove (if others folded).
there is a nice App called preflop+ (free Version is fine to use) with nash Charts where you can put in those Hands and see if a shove/call is +EV or not

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
under normal circumstances, if we ignore ICM, payjumps, Shorter stacks:
Position is key
A3s with 10bb EP should be a fold while the same Hand in LP is a clear shove (if others folded).
there is a nice app called preflop+ (free Version is fine to use) with nash Charts where you can put in those Hands and see if a shove/call is +EV or not

He went all in before the flop, position made absolutely no difference.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shoving A3 suited or not is kind of a bluff meant to steal blinds and antes, because when you are called it's going to be by a better hand most of the time.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He went all in before the flop, position made absolutely no difference.
His Position is very important.

If he goes all-in UTG, he has 8 Players behind him to act.
If others fold and he shoves from the button, he only has the blinds left to act. so it's less likely to get called.

that is why I wrote 'Position is Key'.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If others fold and he shoves from the button, he only has the blinds left to act. so it's less likely to get called.

Also, pushing A rag from EP is risky because many Ax hands will call you if you are a short stack. If I need to push from EP, I'd rather push something like 87s than A rag since the A rag will be dominated a high percentage of the time.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Yes, you are right and I should have paid more attention to what you actually said in your original post before replying to it. My bad, I'm sorry.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I am understanding you correctly, I would have folded that hand. Patience at the final table can have many benefits as each other player that goes out greatly increases your payout. I would stick to TA based on the info you provided on your stack and your count compared to other at the table. No reason to shove, keep building up. Good luck.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, you are right and I should have paid more attention to what you actually said in your original post before replying to it. My bad, I'm sorry.
np ;)

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Optimally at ten handed and at 10BB any pairs and any broadway cards are better to shove than A-rag. IMO. Most of the time get called by higher Ax and dominated. The value of A-rag improves as we get to short table and 5 handed and below. Then A-rag much better value as chances of another player having Ace is much less

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would call A rag if I were short stack even if I lose. Now if I had a stack then wouldn't be tough to fold. So many times if you, have a hot seat on the table you can win hands. I just find if lucky any 2 cards can win even if it is a rag.