A questionable hand from WSOPE Main Event

L

lonenlynobita

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a hand from wsop Europe Main Event, which is why I don't think it's suitable to be posted for the Tournament Hand Analysis (ie. it's not my hand--I don't think I am entitled to post it there). Nevertheless, here it comes.

Context: Final six of WSOPE ME. Cutoff had a stack of just 20 BB. He just increased his stack after a pre-flop shove. BB had a stack of 80 BB. Live coverage just started just started so no particular read.

Hand is folded to the Cutoff who picked up a :js4::jc4:. Raised to 2 BB. Big Blind picked up a defended with a :5d4::4d4:.

Flop
Pot: 5.5 BB Effective Stack: 18 BB

:3d4::8h4::5c4:

Big Blind checked to the original raiser. Cutoff bet 1.8 BB and BB called.

Turn
Pot: 9.1 BB Effective Stack: 16.2 BB

:3d4::8h4::5c4::8c4:

Big Blind lead with 3 BB and Cutoff called.

River
Pot: 15.1 BB Effective Stack: 13.2 BB

:3d4::8h4::5c4::8c4::ah4:

Big Blind shoves and Cutoff tanked for 6.5 minutes before he folded.

The reason this hand bothers me is that it basically challenges a lot of my assumption.

I have plenty of questions:

1. I know that this is WSOPE ME and they are playing an entirely different game to us and I know it is important for the big stacks to apply pressure, but is it the correct play to defended Big Blind with :5d4::4d4: when you considered that Cutoff is on a rather short stack?

2. What the hell the Cutoff is doing with betting 1.8 BB on the flop? With such a low flop, I think I will call with any two cards? I mean, even if I have ridiculous low cards like 24, the flop is providing me with a lot of straight draws? I have a 4:1 pot odds, I am a happy man! If I were the Cutoff, I personally would check or bet 4 BB to get myself to shove on the turn if the turn cooperates with me.

3. I don't object with shoving when you consider the stack size and the pot size. However, what is exactly the hand is the Big Blind trying to represent when he shoves? I feel like he is trying to represent a 8X or AX, but I don't think I will believe a 8X or AX because I don't think such hand makes senses when you considered him leading the turn? One may suggest that he was trying to represent a 8X that was trying to discourage flush draw from continuing on the turn, but 3 BB is not big enough to discourage it? If you bet 3 BB, you are giving a 4 : 1 pot odds--so the opponent needs to win your hand 20% to justify the call. When a flush draw gives the opponent a 18% chance to chase the opponent's draw, it can be a justifiable call when the opponent consider what clubs do they have? I know I am probably biased because I can see the cards, but I genuinely think I will call if I face a similiar situation on my game.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
There are a lot of wacky poker plays on wsop final tables, and probably other venues as well. The players that make it sometimes do so just through some run good and luck, so they're definitely not playing what would be considered standard poker. I think in this case both players were scared of one another having a better hand and nobody was really being assertive. The polarizing shove on the river is sort of a mind game trying to make the opponent think that they are representing a bluff while holding the nuts. Given the pot size the CO decides it isn't worth finding out.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. I think it is fairly standard call from BB given it is chip leader

2. The board is bone dry and 30% pot is fine. But I may bet larger to set up turn shove against very competent player.

3. I also think the fold is too tight but BB ranges could have 8x,A2s,A4s,A5s that he may lead on the turn. Also CO will be out of the tournament if making wrong call and ICM pay jump pressure must be huge

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a lot of wacky poker plays on wsop final tables, and probably other venues as well. The players that make it sometimes do so just through some run good and luck, so they're definitely not playing what would be considered standard poker. I think in this case both players were scared of one another having a better hand and nobody was really being assertive. The polarizing shove on the river is sort of a mind game trying to make the opponent think that they are representing a bluff while holding the nuts. Given the pot size the CO decides it isn't worth finding out.

*Clap* Clap*Clap*

Exactly what I was thinking...though those all in are generally a bad move the CU played it terribly on the flop not to mention the turn.

U

Unashamed88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to be really careful when watching these FT's. Fatigue is really sunk in on these guys and they are more than likely not playing their 100% A-Game. There are chops quite often and they may not even be playing for very much anymore. They hinted at this at the 5mill PSPC. They said "It could already be chopped but pokerstars is asking them to atleast play for the added money". Obviously FT's are a bunch of fun to watch. But if you get confused by someones bad hand. Well there is 2 very good reasons why that hand could have been played poorly.

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a hand from WSOP Europe Main Event, which is why I don't think it's suitable to be posted for the Tournament Hand Analysis (ie. it's not my hand--I don't think I am entitled to post it there). Nevertheless, here it comes.

Context: Final six of WSOPE ME. Cutoff had a stack of just 20 BB. He just increased his stack after a pre-flop shove. BB had a stack of 80 BB. Live coverage just started just started so no particular read.

Hand is folded to the Cutoff who picked up a :js4::jc4:. Raised to 2 BB. Big Blind picked up a defended with a :5d4::4d4:.

Flop
Pot: 5.5 BB Effective Stack: 18 BB

:3d4::8h4::5c4:

Big Blind checked to the original raiser. Cutoff bet 1.8 BB and BB called.

Turn
Pot: 9.1 BB Effective Stack: 16.2 BB

:3d4::8h4::5c4::8c4:

Big Blind lead with 3 BB and Cutoff called.

River
Pot: 15.1 BB Effective Stack: 13.2 BB

:3d4::8h4::5c4::8c4::ah4:

Big Blind shoves and Cutoff tanked for 6.5 minutes before he folded.

The reason this hand bothers me is that it basically challenges a lot of my assumption.

I have plenty of questions:

1. I know that this is WSOPE ME and they are playing an entirely different game to us and I know it is important for the big stacks to apply pressure, but is it the correct play to defended Big Blind with :5d4::4d4: when you considered that Cutoff is on a rather short stack?

2. What the hell the Cutoff is doing with betting 1.8 BB on the flop? With such a low flop, I think I will call with any two cards? I mean, even if I have ridiculous low cards like 24, the flop is providing me with a lot of straight draws? I have a 4:1 pot odds, I am a happy man! If I were the Cutoff, I personally would check or bet 4 BB to get myself to shove on the turn if the turn cooperates with me.

3. I don't object with shoving when you consider the stack size and the pot size. However, what is exactly the hand is the Big Blind trying to represent when he shoves? I feel like he is trying to represent a 8X or AX, but I don't think I will believe a 8X or AX because I don't think such hand makes senses when you considered him leading the turn? One may suggest that he was trying to represent a 8X that was trying to discourage flush draw from continuing on the turn, but 3 BB is not big enough to discourage it? If you bet 3 BB, you are giving a 4 : 1 pot odds--so the opponent needs to win your hand 20% to justify the call. When a flush draw gives the opponent a 18% chance to chase the opponent's draw, it can be a justifiable call when the opponent consider what clubs do they have? I know I am probably biased because I can see the cards, but I genuinely think I will call if I face a similiar situation on my game.

I think I'd call in this situation as well. If you think about what the BB is repping his story really doesn't make sense. Actually a lot of this hand doesn't make sense the tiny bets are kind of horrible, the donk bet on the turn really doesn't make sense, BB whole line is kind of nonsensical. Like you said the 3 bb bet on the turn does nothing but actually make me think he has what he has a 5, trying to get thin value from my over cards. Then the jam with the ace makes even less sense. I don't think an ace would jam here and he has not a lot of combos with eights in them. I think I would have jammed after his turn bet and said show me lol. (hard to say knowing the holdings)

WSOP Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands