A fish needs help

A

Ant1Ant1

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
So I have been playing mtt poker now for around 7 months, and after that time I have finally learnt about playing in position (which I must say has really improved my game) but I really struggle in certain spots of the right decision to call or fold. I really want to improve because I love this game can anyone recommend good poker coaches

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Welcome to CC Ant1Ant1,

Are you sure that a coach is the right decision for you at this stage? What have you done so far to learn poker?
Coaches are usually paid by hourly which can make it quite expensive. One or two hours with a coach may not be enough to 'fix your game'. Have you thought of taking a look at any of the sites that offer paid learning materials? That is one way to go forward but there is also lots of free stuff out there.

A

Ant1Ant1

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Welcome to CC Ant1Ant1,

Are you sure that a coach is the right decision for you at this stage? What have you done so far to learn poker?
Coaches are usually paid by hourly which can make it quite expensive. One or two hours with a coach may not be enough to 'fix your game'. Have you thought of taking a look at any of the sites that offer paid learning materials? That is one way to go forward but there is also lots of free stuff out there.
Hey thanks for your reply, I'm new here so I didn't think I'd get one so quickly.
So far most of my learning material has come from videos online, I have religiously been watching content from people who look like absolute tournament crushers, I also purchased Micheal acevedos modern poker theory book(which I really struggle to understand)
What I would like to learn is how I know I'm making +EV decisions cz over 7 months I've had fun but have not made any money and that is something I would like to change

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it was possible to earn something in 7 months, this is a rather long time...

at the expense of coaches, poker sites called me and offered their services, but there are sky-high prices, this is in the Russian-speaking segment, a few hundred dollars for a couple of workouts is nonsense, I would advise you to read a couple of books first and there are a lot of free materials on the Internet, there is a 30-day training course here on C C, do not rushthere will be theory, there will be practice and your game will get better

Delenia

Delenia

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Here is a link to the 30 day Poker School here at CardsChat. I hope this will help you!

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
one step at a time dude and u can see some pre flop hand charts to help u

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it helps me a lot to see the sessions of some professional players on twitch, matt staples my favorite I love his game and how he explains it and it has helped me a lot to improve my game,, as for recommending a poker school I don't know but that will serve you that is a fact

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you could watch some videos over there, or just apply trial and error, so you will pay and learn when the rival is bluffing or when he has a strong hand

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
What I would like to learn is how I know I'm making +EV decisions cz over 7 months I've had fun but have not made any money and that is something I would like to change
This sounds like you still have gaps in your fundamentals. Any of the basic courses (like our own free one) will teach you to think of things, like - If I'm faced with a XX sized bet, there are two more cards yet to come, and I have X outs, will calling this bet be profitable in the long term?

These are the kind of things that will turn your game into profitable one in the long term. Watching pros play and teach their tricks can be educational and fun but the problem is that those tricks usually work only then if the opponents are also very knowledgeable at poker. When playing on the micro level one is usually against all sorts of players, usually poor ones. In that case basic ABC-poker is often the best option.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This sounds like you still have gaps in your fundamentals. Any of the basic courses (like our own free one) will teach you to think of things, like - If I'm faced with a XX sized bet, there are two more cards yet to come, and I have X outs, will calling this bet be profitable in the long term?

These are the kind of things that will turn your game into profitable one in the long term. Watching pros play and teach their tricks can be educational and fun but the problem is that those tricks usually work only then if the opponents are also very knowledgeable at poker. When playing on the micro level one is usually against all sorts of players, usually poor ones. In that case basic ABC-poker is often the best option.
I completely agree. More advanced concept than those taught in CCs 30-day course are not nessesary to beat the micros, and they might even do more harm than good if understood and implemented poorly against the wrong opponents. Another point is game selection. If OP mainly play large field MTTs, then 7 month might not be enough to overcome variance. And in that case he should either look to play more small field MTTs or add SnGs into his game.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
So I have been playing mtt poker now for around 7 months, and after that time I have finally learnt about playing in position (which I must say has really improved my game) but I really struggle in certain spots of the right decision to call or fold. I really want to improve because I love this game can anyone recommend good poker coaches
7 months is a really small time frame and poker is a much more complicated game than most realize. I would not suggest a coach at this point. The 30 day course is really food and I think you should go that route 1st. I would also start posting hands. Players here will be willing to help you. Also remember that poker is not a race but a marathon. The game is always changing and it will take years to really become a strong player. As for right decision to call and fold. Remember its not always that easy. You could have a hand where a 2 player jams all in on the river. You have the same hand on the same board and one its a call and the other is a fold.

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe that for microstakes beginners you should initially prioritize preflop play, in addition to a judicious selection of hands that will almost always depend on your stack (effective, SPR and the like) and position.
Apparently you've already discovered the importance of position.
Great, because there are players who have been playing for over 10 years and still haven't learned. haha
It will be a long way to go in search of improvements.
Make a plan with your future goals and stick to it.

Also, you can count on the help of many members.
Good luck on the journey!

As for the coaches, even here in brazil there are lots of them... Some good, some not like the rest of the world.
Some people can be self-taught, but not all.
In general, it will always be better to have someone more experienced follow up, but that will not determine your success.
In addition, if you want to evolve, you will need to invest in several not-so-cheap software.
Adding this to the value of coaches, I believe that only winning the SundayMillions! haha ha

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Actually, there is nothing wrong with getting a coach. If, on the one hand, you have enough money and, on the other hand, you are really serious about poker, but I also think that it only makes sense if you are already familiar with at least the basis of poker. But you also have to know that no matter what you do, there are always times when things are better in poker, and days when nothing is on. And that's regardless of whether you have a coach or not. A coach won't be able to keep you away from bad luck, but can show you the best options available in poker. But I would advise you to just take a look around here on the forum and you will find lots of interesting information, including the 30-day course, which has already been recommended several times above.

A

Ant1Ant1

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
7 months is a really small time frame and poker is a much more complicated game than most realize. I would not suggest a coach at this point. The 30 day course is really food and I think you should go that route 1st. I would also start posting hands. Players here will be willing to help you. Also remember that poker is not a race but a marathon. The game is always changing and it will take years to really become a strong player. As for right decision to call and fold. Remember its not always that easy. You could have a hand where a 2 player jams all in on the river. You have the same hand on the same board and one its a call and the other is a fold.

Yh I had a strange hand earlier, I was on the SB with the A10o, BTN min raises, I call, BB calls, flop comes 10,K,A, BTn raises, I call, BB folds, turn comes J, I check, BTN checks. River comes J, I bet half pot.....btn shoves.......is this a call or fold because I folded!

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello brother. I agree with all the opinions of our fellow forum members, although my favorites are the opinions of Luvepoker and Gallarado regarding my history playing poker.
I played online poker until 2007, after my wife's disease (parkinson's disease) I stopped playing for a long time and thanks to a miraculous surgery that they did to her and today, thank God, she is very well, I have returned to play in 2021.
The game before was very different from now. The tutorials always existed but I think that before we say that the players had more glamor to play.
Today mathematics, possibilities and strategy are a priority, although luck is also a fundamental factor in the game.
I'll give you an example, a long time ago if you watch videos of tournaments there were hands that several players limped and when the BB was reached there were maybe 5 players that entered a hand, very few with the option of fishing with a good hand example KK These generally made 3bet or 4bet, and if 5 players entered in a hand and the chances of your having the best hand varies in percentage. I was one of those players, for example I had a QJ suite and limped in different positions. There yes when I was lucky that my QJ suite could be the best hand in general the pots I grabbed were big but this did not happen too often and in the end 8 out of 10 times I ended up folding.
When I read a tutorial on codepoker.com about when and why to limp or not, I ended up improving my game by 100%, also improving the value of my positions. For example, if you are in UTG and you limp you will always find a villain who will 3bet you at least if you want this, check it out in practice in a tournament. But this situation changes if you enter UTG and minimally miniraise, you'll see that everyone starts to think because even today I have seen in many tournaments that many players miniraise you UTG with AA and wait for the rest of the table to think Overall he has the best hand preflop.
Even before I had Bingo players only in the freerolls and in the cash tables, today you have Bingo players in all the moderately paid tournaments that, as a colleague told me in a post that I made, you have to take into account that there are players who only enter tournaments to have fun, not to win money just maybe because of the stress level of their work day or because they are millionaires or for any reason, and these players who play only the luck factor leave you out of any tournament at any time.
It's good that you have been learning the matter of game positions. That is something essential.
For example, in the hand that you played with Luvepoker, it is good that it is not well expressed in what situation of the tournament you are in, or if it is an MTT or cash table, but anyway, assuming that it was in a tournament and you in SB would have had a similar stack or superior to the button I would have made a call/raise 3bet in the preflop, from then on if the button was playing against you if he made a calllimp you went on to send in the hand, if he made for example a 4bet you could analyze what have a hand superior to yours and even fold or see the flop and there without a doubt where the flop came out with A10 or double pair directly all in and what does he think.
Well, as Gallarado says, the best of all is trial and error, if it works for you, do the same as I am doing. Here the group of comrades is very good and I post game situations in this same forum so that others can comment and see if in that same situation one played poorly, or the opponent was lucky, or one did not play well in position and others. That is, if you specify the entire situation well in great detail so that your friends can read your move well and analyze it.
Greetings and a big hug from argentina and I hope you feel comfortable in this beautiful site of friends :):):)