A Common MicroStakes Situation Regarding Limping

L

LEV1ATHAN

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, Im currently playing Micro-stakes online to practice the basics of tournament poker as I'm still a beginner and have a lot to learn. A common Situation that I find myself in is being in late position( lets say cut off) with a decent hand but not super strong like K9s but before it gets around to you two people who are consistently limping limp into the pot. My question is how do the consistent limpers affect your play, do you just raise normally(ignoring them), increase your raise size till they stop(which could cause you to bleed chips), or start playing differently altogether if you know limpers are coming along every pot.

Interested in peoples opinions that K9 situation isn't specific I just wanted to show a spot where you've got limpers and a medium hand

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find myself in this situation often as well. I recommend tightening up and raising & three betting large when you are at the top of your range.

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, Im currently playing Micro-stakes online to practice the basics of tournament poker as I'm still a beginner and have a lot to learn. A common Situation that I find myself in is being in late position( lets say cut off) with a decent hand but not super strong like K9s but before it gets around to you two people who are consistently limping limp into the pot. My question is how do the consistent limpers affect your play, do you just raise normally(ignoring them), increase your raise size till they stop(which could cause you to bleed chips), or start playing differently altogether if you know limpers are coming along every pot.

Interested in peoples opinions that K9 situation isn't specific I just wanted to show a spot where you've got limpers and a medium hand
I play cheap freerolls all the time so I know exactly what you're talking about.

For this type of situation, my default would still be to raise it to 4x or so and hope to isolate one of the limpers while discouraging the blinds from coming along for the ride. If you notice that the SB and the BB are passive, I think it's totally fine to limp as well sometimes with good but not great starting hands (K9s, JT, 44, A3s, etc.).

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Play slightly tighter and show aggression, good Luck figuring out the twists and turns of illogical play in micros.

W

wulfeman007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try to take advantage of the limpers

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would tighten my raising range. K9s its not a great hand postflop, and its really tough to put limpers on a range. If you feel you can play it profitable then play it, but its a weird hand. If you hit a K then your kicker is not very good. Ig you hit a 9, theres a fair chance you won’t have top pair. Its tough to extract a lot of value, thats why I would just fold preflop

L

LEV1ATHAN

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would tighten my raising range. K9s its not a great hand postflop, and its really tough to put limpers on a range. If you feel you can play it profitable then play it, but its a weird hand. If you hit a K then your kicker is not very good. Ig you hit a 9, theres a fair chance you won’t have top pair. Its tough to extract a lot of value, thats why I would just fold preflop

Thats what I end up doing most of the time just folding in this situation, Idk I just feel like when I do this Im playing super tight I.e 10-15 vpip. Im not sure on whats correct.

L

LEV1ATHAN

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
try to take advantage of the limpers

What do you mean more specifically, I know there ranges are super wide but once it goes three or four ways its difficult to outplay them without the nuts. Any suggestions?

L

LEV1ATHAN

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Play slightly tighter and show aggression, good Luck figuring out the twists and turns of illogical play in micros.

Ive only been playing a little bit and I can already understand the brutality of Micro stakes. Still... we gotta start somewhere, right? or are micros just too ridiculous in your opinion ?

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the blinds are small I prefer over limping with this type of hand to keep risk reward low, unless I can be fairly certain my raise will buy me position in the hand (raise to fold out the button from the cut off).

If the blinds are large I prefer to fold these marginal hands. Its a tournament so I dont have to play or win every hand.

The interesting thing about K9s itself is it is strong enough to call min/small raises in late position so if someone acting after me raises I might be closing the action when deciding to call the raise, so all the more reason to overlimp.

Im not really trying to build a pot with a marginal hand and you often have to raise to an inappropriately large amount to fold the limpers a in micro tournament.

Last edited:
M

Majari_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm on a table that is limping a lot I usually tighten my range and only play my premium hands early on. I like using 3xBB+BB/limper to isolate one/two limpers who usually pay with terrible hands like K7o. Usually these people are calling stations who call with any pair on the board so I try to take an advantage on that as well.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would tend to discard the very weakest part of my opening range; except when I’m on the button. Given that we know we’d have position post-flop, I’d have the same range.

It would be very rare for me to overlimp. My default raise size would be to take whatever I would’ve raised to had it been folded to me, and add one bb for every limper before me. So if I would’ve made it 2.5x, I’d raise to 3.5 over one limper, 4.5 for two limpers, etc.

It can be very profitable to try to have a handle on how often these limpers are folding to c-bets. Oftentimes these players are playing hit-to-win only and so I tend to up my standard c-bet frequency versus them (except when I have a read that they’re true calling stations on a wetish board where I’ve missed).

Hope this helps [emoji4]

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Depends on the opponents. Depends on the game.
Are these limpers typically limping with rubbish? Mediocrity? Strength?
Depending on the table/game/opponents, I will sometimes limp with strength. A simple call means that you will be last to act if/when a raise comes in. That is why some folks will min raise.

Suppose a table is really tight and every time you bet from UTG to UTG+3 Everyone folds.
If people are always folding when you open with a show of moderate strength and you want someone in the pot with you, you might try a limp.

On the other hand, if these players are limping in with any two cards, you just need to raise sufficiently high to thin the field and add protection to your strength.

But if you find yourself ALWAYS in multiway pots there are exploitative plays to be made. But definitely make those people who play too many pots PAY.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think it makes any sense to increase the bid much. You may be able to throw limpers out of the game, BUT! In micro-limits, it is very easy to get your big raise all - in from your opponent. I see a lot of players who don't hesitate to play in the early stages of a pre-flop all-in tournament, any pocket pairs, AT+. I can give you advice if you are at a table where, 2 or 3 limpers, you should only play a very strong hand, or if you are playing medium hands, remove all aggression and play a very slow preflop. The flop, if successful for you, on the contrary, should be increased in aggression and as I noticed, this puts great pressure on the Limper and allows it to be quickly knocked out. And the most important thing is to avoid bluffing against such players. Good luck ;)

7CardKillR

7CardKillR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your normal rfi size plus 1.5bb for each limper
100 - 60 deep = 5.5bb
40 -60 deep = 5.25bb,
40-25bb deep 5bb
gong lower to exploit static ranges towards folds
going high to exploit wide calling ranges with good value