6+...Something feels wrong

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I played like my 3rd 6+ 6max tournament the other day on ACR and ended up at the final table. Honestly there is no better way to learn a game then to pay your 10$ tournament entry fee and observe and grind.

That being said I know that math is all worked out these days, but trips beating straights in this game just doesn't feel right. I was in a hand 3 ways with TJs the flop is 89Q rainbow, I lead out and immediately get raised, only to have the next player shove. I of course fold knowing the rules and sure enough they both have sets. There is something inherently wrong when you flop the nut straight with no flush on board and have the 3rd best hand.

My honest opinion is just make the low straight 6789T and leave the A high. This might change the odds back to have straights beat trips. That being said flushes were rare so their strength seems fitting.

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It makes me sad when no one cares

G

graplet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
odds

Yeah, to be honest, I dont understand that either, really changes the game!!!

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I played like my 3rd 6+ 6max tournament the other day on ACR and ended up at the final table. Honestly there is no better way to learn a game then to pay your 10$ tournament entry fee and observe and grind.

That being said I know that math is all worked out these days, but trips beating straights in this game just doesn't feel right. I was in a hand 3 ways with TJs the flop is 89Q rainbow, I lead out and immediately get raised, only to have the next player shove. I of course fold knowing the rules and sure enough they both have sets. There is something inherently wrong when you flop the nut straight with no flush on board and have the 3rd best hand.

My honest opinion is just make the low straight 6789T and leave the A high. This might change the odds back to have straights beat trips. That being said flushes were rare so their strength seems fitting.

You'll have to stove-pipe it yourself to see how it all works out or convince yourself of the truth. lol

It doesn't "feel" right because it is new and different and we've all been playing poker by the usual (until now) rules.

I don't hear you complaining about the rules as much as asking "What's up?"

But to address the trips>straight issue.....it's easier to make a strt because almost all boards fill in for a straight when 2/5 of the deck is missing. Still just as hard to flop set as it is in holdem/Omaha - no matter wht pair you have.

That is my logic towards it. What do you think?

Good luck !

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You just have to remember that straight is not the nuts in this game.
A villain's pocket pair does thrips and you will never see this on the board with any cards. You should look for stronger odds - flash, or the highest set. Put the best hand here Flash and quads. And do not forget about the straight flush, it happens here more often. :D

No, this will only lead to confusion - which street is older. There is, after all, AKQJT Street

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'll have to stove-pipe it yourself to see how it all works out or convince yourself of the truth. lol

It doesn't "feel" right because it is new and different and we've all been playing poker by the usual (until now) rules.

I don't hear you complaining about the rules as much as asking "What's up?"

But to address the trips>straight issue.....it's easier to make a strt because almost all boards fill in for a straight when 2/5 of the deck is missing. Still just as hard to flop set as it is in holdem/Omaha - no matter wht pair you have.

That is my logic towards it. What do you think?

Good luck !

Thanks for responding. The Math is all worked out and I get it and you're right I'm not complaining, I just don't like it. You have a 50/50 chance of making a straight on an open ended flop.

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just have to remember that straight is not the nuts in this game.
A villain's pocket pair does thrips and you will never see this on the board with any cards. You should look for stronger odds - flash, or the highest set. Put the best hand here Flash and quads. And do not forget about the straight flush, it happens here more often. :D

No, this will only lead to confusion - which street is older. There is, after all, AKQJT Street
Thank you and yes in order to make the final table I of course came to these conclusion pretty early on. That being said I was able to call down some river bluffs with high straights. They usually had 2 pair but it is scary. If they haven't acted too aggressively on the flop and turn, a set seems unlikely on the river.

It just takes a huge mental shift. The other thing you have to look at is how often the board pairs. Then you have to take into account how each player is playing and how many hands they are in. A loose player seeing a lot of flops is likely to hit trips more.

Big bluffing game. On pretty much any flop you can buff having a set and if the other player has flopped even a straight they have to fold.

500hpawd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea it is a fun fast paced game but the odds are a little wonky. I have been playing the 2nl cash tables and ran deep in the $1 OSS MTT last night. I feel like the game is more for gamblers than anything else. It can be grinded but it will not be my game of choice either.