$55 Tournament

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing the Neymar tournament and won a $55 Ticket. I've never played such an expensive tournament, I usually play cardschat freerolls and really small stakes bounty builders. I was wondering if anyone had any tip on how to play it or recommend something tp study before playing. I'd be really glad if I cashed a bit on this tournament to start building a decent bankroll so I don't want to miss this opportunity.

T

Tony0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am in the same situation, having got a $109 ticket in a freeroll.

My intention is to just 'enjoy my day out' and play my best normal game. Be tight early and wait for good spots. Not be intimidated by the stakes.

It will be a nice change to open UTG and not end up 6 handed on the flop. :D

The biggest cash I have had before is $7 so just a min cash would be amazing for me.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both of you are going to be tossed into player pools that are over your head. That is the cold harsh reality of such a situation - but the good news is there are still bad players at these levels - players who have won tickets like yourselves - players who are shot taking, players playing beyond their rolls, etc. So they won't all be good players for sure - but the 55s and up are definitely going to have quite a few good players in them. This is why I don't advice people play satellite tournaments or other games for tickets to events well beyond their normal stakes - its typically just a waste of time and money. The satellite buy in would be better spent in another tournament within your buy in level where you are comfortable playing and have the chance to win - rather than throwing yourself to the wolves in a field with players who are several levels ahead if you all because you are chasing the dream if a huge score. Understand what im saying? The chances of you winning an event thats several buy in levels above where you normally play isn't going to happen very often at all.

That being said I still really like Tony's attitude of just having fun with it. That should be your main focus here. Like I said, the reality is that you are likely going to be outclassed since you don't play these levels regularly - thats ok. Just play your best poker and enjoy the ride. If you happen to cash - thats a great thing. If you don't, who cares? It didn't cost you $55 to play. The biggest bonus would be if you were to make a really deep run and lock up what could be the biggest cash of your online adventures - with the right attitude and mind frame, only good can come from the game ahead.

So in conclusion - just go into it with a positive mindset, play the best you can and enjoy the game!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My intention is to just 'enjoy my day out' and play my best normal game. Be tight early and wait for good spots. Not be intimidated by the stakes.

And this is exactly the right attitude. At the end of the day its still poker. Top pair is still top pair, a set is still a set, a flush is still a flush. So just forget the money at stakes and play your best normal game. If I am to suggest one small adjustment, it is to assume, that your opponents are not going to make quite as many terrible calling mistakes, and they are also going to be bluffing you more. So be a little more carefull about betting to light for value, and dont always fold your bluff catchers :)

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that the main thing when participating in such a tournament is to be focused, patient and not to play with junk.
Good luck, I hope you can increase your bankroll.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Good luck guys, I recently had the same situation in the SCOOP. My best advice has kind of already been said, but I'm gonna jabber a bit anyway!

There are def plenty of similar level players playing, but there are also plenty of better players too. The main thing I found, especially if the structure is slower than you usually play, is that there will be more small pots played relative to stack size. You're way less likely to easily double up when you hit your monster, so don't get put off by that if your AA only wins 1 call then a fold on the flop etc.....

Overall, play your best solid game, wait for great cards, and great spots and be patient.

I was rubbish, then unlucky in equal measure. Actually it was more like pocket pair vs AK, 52% rubbish, and 48% unlucky.....or Brexit maybe.....I gifted a load of chips continuing a semi bluff, then got AA cracked when shortish Wishing you guys better luck and also a much more solid game than I offered on the day!

On studying, I wouldn't study for a particular tourney, its not the game to introduce new ideas. Focus on the best game you already have, and stick to what you know.

Hope you guys smash it!

L

Lucky River

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the main thing is patience and you will succeed, my advice is to play on the map. no bluff.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Congratulations on winning the ticket, the first time something like this happened to me, I just played with a lot of patience (more than normal) and tried to play very safe and strong hands, I recommend you try to relax and play as best you know how to do it, be very patient Since in these tournaments you will get both very dedicated players and some players who play with intensity, I wish you much success and good luck when you play the tournament

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing the Neymar tournament and won a $55 Ticket. I've never played such an expensive tournament, I usually play cardschat freerolls and really small stakes bounty builders. I was wondering if anyone had any tip on how to play it or recommend something tp study before playing. I'd be really glad if I cashed a bit on this tournament to start building a decent bankroll so I don't want to miss this opportunity.

Good day!
I advise you to play on the card and not bluff, as you will be pinched by such a large buy-in. Stick to the TAG. :) Good luck!

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's very simple, if you don't know how to play, you don't know the players you're going to play with, then play tight.
Disable absolutely everything on the computer, only the poker client should be open on the desktop and only one table at which you play,
You play very carefully, slowly, and very tight.
Good luck :D

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

did you play? how did it go?

F

FuccinALLin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Way to proceed indeed.. i mucked up a similar situation when i won a bigger ticket.. but all in all.. as long as we learn from our mistakes we make then we can only get better

W

Weee3eee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best thing to do is have fun. Try out the aggression type of game when in position. Don't get in pissing matches out of position. 3Bet more than you normally would and Check raise when you can. keep off the UTG, sb and defend your big blind against late position opens.

T

Tony0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only picked up a $25 bounty in my $109 ticket. My best cash before was $7 so a new best for me all the same.

Had a great early double up plus a few modest pots without showdown.

I was the biggest stack on the table for a good hour or so. But was not finding any good spots to pick up bounties. I may have been a little tight at times to volunteer for flips.

Finished 1600/4600.
Died shoving 99 UTG for 9bb, called by 55 and he hit the set on the river.

I think I needed two flips to get ITM.

The start was 250bb deep which I have no experience of, and do not really know the adjustments.

Since I was at skill disadvantage to the field postflop, I figured best to go with holdings that make big hands more often like suited ace, suited connector, pocket pair. Less of offsuit broadways and gappers.

The main thing I found more difficult at this level was getting paid off when you hit a good hand, even in PKO.

Overall I really enjoyed it, every decision felt very intense.

Hope to win another satellite soon and have another blast.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Made into the money and cashed for $305!

Did you find anything out from your experience?

Also, what is your plan now with the $305?

If you are attempting to build a bankroll, let me know if you have any questions or would like any advice. :)

Oh yeah...CONGRATS!!!!! :D

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You really havn't won unless the $$$ makes it 2 your pocket,,,withdraw half and buy a loved one something nice,only then have you truly won.;)

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you find anything out from your experience?

Also, what is your plan now with the $305?

If you are attempting to build a bankroll, let me know if you have any questions or would like any advice. :)

Oh yeah...CONGRATS!!!!! :D
Yeah, I guess advices are always welcome. I currently have a BR of $370. I mostly like playing Bounty Builders. I pay to play the ones up to $4.40 and play sattelites up to the $16.50. I also like playing 9ring sit n go ($0.50) and cash games $0.01/0.02.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I guess advices are always welcome. I currently have a BR of $370. I mostly like playing Bounty Builders. I pay to play the ones up to $4.40 and play sattelites up to the $16.50. I also like playing 9ring sit n go ($0.50) and cash games $0.01/0.02.

I'd say that sounds good. :D

Good luck!