3bet at button

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone, so I assume that 3bet or 4bet with AK/QQ/KK/AA maybe QK/AK/AJ/JJ/TT at button is a given. But what about 77-TT and suited connectors +89s?
Thanks for your input.

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends a lot on (i) the type of villain who raised first and (ii) what position they are in. Assuming villain is a straight-forward TAG, you can 3-bet AA, KK, QQ and AK on the button if villain is UTG/UTG+1. If villain is in MP/LJ, you can 3-bet AQ too. If villain is in HJ/CO, you can also 3-bet AJ.

You should also mix in some bluffs once in a while such as Axs to keep your range balanced.

With TT-77 and 98s+, I think calling is fine regardless of what position villain is in. If villain is nitty and folds too often to 3-bets when they are OOP, you can include a few more 3-bet bluffing candidates like 65s/54s/ATo.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone, so I assume that 3bet or 4bet with AK/QQ/KK/AA maybe QK/AK/AJ/JJ/TT at button is a given. But what about 77-TT and suited connectors +89s?
Thanks for your input.
I personally prefer to call with this hand! Being in the position we will be able to make a better decision!

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like it always is in poker, it depends.....

When you get to the button people's cards grow in size. The A8s looks huge. When ever you play 3 handed a 3bet runs a serious chance a shove in response. Especially with Ax in the villain's hand. I'm really not in the practice of doing a 3bet then fold.

I look at 2 things, chip stacks and previous play. Because we are talking about players immediately to my left and right I do pay more attention to their play because I will play more hands late with them. Lots of limps and min raises, I certainly would 3bet more, weaker players.

My chips compared to the villain also is important. I don't want to bust because of a pre-flop call. The closer we are in chips the more likely I am to want to see a flop. If I'm going to play a big pot I want a big hand, pre-flop it's tough to know.

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With low pairs or connectors I limp and it's worked very good for me. Since you limp they write you off, so if I make trips than I let them be the aggresor and call their raises, this way you get the most money and then big raise on the river. If I don't make trips or straight after the flop I ussually fold unless I can afford the raise and stay to see turn and river. This worked for me because when I was the aggresor with these cards, I felt like I had to keep raising even if the flop wasn't ideal for me hoping to catch something and ended up losing many chips. Be passive, wait and if you make your trips, flush or straight just sit back and think how you can squeeze the most chips out of them.

pitoplay

pitoplay

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes is an option, would play it more 3-bet/fold because with the cards it is then very difficult to play on the post flop

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Personally I flat middle pocket pairs (if I have the odds) and suited connectors 89s,9Ts,TJs,JQs.

With my current ''experience'' I 3bet light some off suit combos like KQo,KJo,ATo and flat the suited ones. The reason for that is if you 3bet and get a 4bet you can't call most of the times so you throw away more equity with the suited ones plus suited connectors flop much better! So it's better to flat them to see a cheap flop instead of 3bet fold them.

Also since we are on the button and we will have position if we go post flop I may 3bet light some AXs,KXs(I always seek for blockers).

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I flat middle pocket pairs

With low pairs or connectors I limp and it's worked very good for me. Since you limp they write you off.

The problem with your low/medium pairs is the flop, even if you hit trips you are still behind. Because almost all of the time there is an overcard.
Riddle me this, MP raises x2.5 and you cold call your 8d8s Flop, 8h2d9s- he raises 50% you call. Turn, Ah. he checks, you raise +35% V calls. River Kd. he checks again, you value bet +35% V raises. Here what happens? What would you do? Does he have a better trips, V missed his flash/ have two over pairs? Moral of the story, a 3bet was in order.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The problem with your low/medium pairs is the flop, even if you hit trips you are still behind. Because almost all of the time there is an overcard.
Riddle me this, MP raises x2.5 and you cold call your 8d8s Flop, 8h2d9s- he raises 50% you call. Turn, Ah. he checks, you raise +35% V calls. River Kd. he checks again, you value bet +35% V raises. Here what happens? What would you do? Does he have a better trips, V missed his flash/ have two over pairs? Moral of the story, a 3bet was in order.

You can post your hand for review here:
Tournament Hand Analysis - CardsChat™ , there are many members who can advice you how to play this spot.

ps.I have been making this mistake too , if we hold a pocket pair then we can hit a set by hitting a third card on the board , that's why we call the pre flop action ''set mining''. We call it trips when we hold the third card in a paired board :)

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually i choose to flat if opponent is unknown. Vs some1 aggressive i might 3bet.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can post your hand for review here:
Tournament Hand Analysis - CardsChat™ , there are many members who can advice you how to play this spot.

ps.I have been making this mistake too , if we hold a pocket pair then we can hit a set by hitting a third card on the board , that's why we call the pre flop action ''set mining''. We call it trips when we hold the third card in a paired board :)
The for both, advice and clarification.