Wade Phillips Fired

Charzr

Charzr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones fired coach Wade Phillips on Monday, sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Ed Werder. The move comes less than a year after he was given a two-year contract extension for leading the Cowboys to their first playoff win in over a decade. He will be replaced by offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, the sources said. The end for Phillips came after a 45-7 loss to the Green Bay Packers on Sunday night extended Dallas' losing streak to five games as the Cowboys -- which began the season with Super Bowl expectations -- fell to 1-7 overall.

“It’s not you, it’s us."
Poor Phillips, he is a nice guy but it was probably time. Jerry Needed to show his fans something other than the 1-7 record. They are not going to improve and the new coach is going to get the ax at the end of the season, so I don't find the point in firing the guy right now other than shutting up the ESPN and FOX analysts. :(

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hard not to fire him really - Dallas has high expectations, and 1-7 with 7-45 loss isn't it.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jerry Jones is what is preventing that team from going to the next step. It wasn't until Steinbrenner stepped back and let his baseball minds run the yankees, that that team became dominant. In a lot of ways I see the Cowboys being the Yankees of football except they can't overspend to buy players from everyone else.

A

AUPhoenix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is about time. 1 and 7, I would not have waited this long.

Charzr

Charzr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jerry Jones is what is preventing that team from going to the next step. It wasn't until Steinbrenner stepped back and let his baseball minds run the yankees, that that team became dominant. In a lot of ways I see the Cowboys being the Yankees of football except they can't overspend to buy players from everyone else.

Too bad he is not gonna fire himself, he just doesn't see it and won't give power to any coach or gm that he hires.

Who do you think is next coach for the 'boys??
Jerry should be begging Jon Gruden to quit ESPN right now, can you imagine what Gruden can do with a guy like Romo and all that Dallas talent?

And If Jerry Jones one day wakes up and decide to step back like his friend Steinbrenner did, the guy is Bill Cowher!!

H

HipHopStoner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In all honesty that was long overdue... he should've been going after week 3.. but better late then never.

I can't believe people even thought Dallas would do any good this year anyways... they are top 5 most thinned out team.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Gruden is a potential choice. But I know Jerry wants to see Garrett succeed if at all possible. Gruden is too strong a figure for Jerry's taste imo, he wants head coaches who will always submit to him.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Gruden is a potential choice. But I know Jerry wants to see Garrett succeed if at all possible. Gruden is too strong a figure for Jerry's taste imo, he wants head coaches who will always submit to him.

i hope gruden wont go there. I think hes the best ESPN MNF announcer in a long time and everything he says is spot on and i hope he doesn't leave

CntryBoys

CntryBoys

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its actually pretty funny that he got fired. Jerry Jones builds a billion dollar stadium and cant win. Maybe he should invest in a billion dollar coach

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like Wade Phillips is the problem right....

C

clzock

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
its ok they loosing just games ,the last season was good but now they won just one game game isnt enough

Riverrr

Riverrr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So much for the team hosting the Superbowl actually making it all the way. John Fox may be the Cowboys coach next year since his contract is ending in Carolina and he is good friends with Jerry Jones.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
John Fox may be the Cowboys coach next year since his contract is ending in Carolina and he is good friends with Jerry Jones.

There's going to be a mutiny with Cowboys' fans if he signs a coach who has been unsuccessful lol.

P

PasoTex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This firing was long overdue. The Cowboys' best hope for short term success would be for Jones to hire Bill Cowher and give him significant authority, as he did with Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells. The ultimate solution would be for Jones to hire a credible General Manager and stop pretending that he is one himself.