Theoretical Cricket Question

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey there cricket fans, this is a theoretical question regarding a wide ball.

Situation 20/20, last 5 overs. Does not matter which order batting, you want to make the most runs possible.

Ok, so the ball is going down the leg side, guaranteed wide. Fine leg is up and no real boundry coverage on the off side. Do you swing true to hit it fine of fine leg or do you let it go for the clear 1 run and extra ball. Note no guarantee that you hit the four when swinging at the ball and no guarantee you have anything to work with on the next ball.

My thinking is that the 1 guaranteed run is something. So say best case scenario is that you hit the four, how often are you hitting it and how often do you get two or hit it straight to the fielder for no run? My thinking is that you take the 1 run and play the next ball. Thoughts?

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Always take the point. SOP in real sports, just cause these guys dress funny shouldn't change anything.

L

liamkg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd take the run i'm always a bit like why did he hit that when it's clearly going to be a wide

SwiftDesire

SwiftDesire

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm no expert but I think leaving the ball should be the better option but my opinion is flexible based on:-

The mentality of the batsmen.
The length at which the ball is delivered.
Current score/Run rate required to win.
The quality of the bowlers left for the last overs.

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Leave the ball !!! Who knows, keeper may miss it and we get 5 byes and an extra ball !!! Hehee...

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey there cricket fans, this is a theoretical question regarding a wide ball.

Situation 20/20, last 5 overs. Does not matter which order batting, you want to make the most runs possible.

Ok, so the ball is going down the leg side, guaranteed wide. Fine leg is up and no real boundry coverage on the off side. Do you swing true to hit it fine of fine leg or do you let it go for the clear 1 run and extra ball. Note no guarantee that you hit the four when swinging at the ball and no guarantee you have anything to work with on the next ball.

My thinking is that the 1 guaranteed run is something. So say best case scenario is that you hit the four, how often are you hitting it and how often do you get two or hit it straight to the fielder for no run? My thinking is that you take the 1 run and play the next ball. Thoughts?

Last 5 overs - thats still plenty to play with in a T20, depends on how many wickets you have left i suppose.

Down leg-side and a guaranteed wide - the off-side field shouldn't come into play unless you can do a Pietersen ;)

If you're behind the run-rate it could be worth a shot but really it would be better to take the wide.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thats my thinking Ian then why does almost every batsman swing?

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thats my thinking Ian then why does almost every batsman swing?

I suppose (esp in a T20) they are on a constant hit and hope misson.

I feel the same when the batsman lifts his bat up to fend off a chest high delivery and ends up getting caught behind - surely its better to drop you hands and watch it go past?.

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on how wide it is going. Gotta remember that it is a split second decision and one that could cost them their wicket if they mess up and get trapped lbw. Obviously the super wide ones can be let through but if there is any doubt they should really be getting bat to it...

roland cote

roland cote

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wondering....during a game, how many crickets get killed on a cricket field?

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I suppose (esp in a T20) they are on a constant hit and hope misson.

I feel the same when the batsman lifts his bat up to fend off a chest high delivery and ends up getting caught behind - surely its better to drop you hands and watch it go past?.

QFT but I guess it is the heat of the moment.

Swear Engine

Swear Engine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take the wide for one and an extra delivery every time unless it's so close to you that you instinctively leather it through the onside. Remember if you touch it it can't be a wide and you may also get strangled if you just get a feather on it. Not worth the risk involved imo.

DeadlyV18

DeadlyV18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on how wide it is going. Gotta remember that it is a split second decision and one that could cost them their wicket if they mess up and get trapped lbw. Obviously the super wide ones can be let through but if there is any doubt they should really be getting bat to it...

Why'd you get your username changed stubzy?

Grossberger

Grossberger

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait a minute what is all this talk about wickets and wide and all this other stuff???? Cricket is a game played with darts and a dart board its played with the numbers 15-20 and the bullseye a team tries to hit each number 3 times or hit a triple to close out the number and then can continue to score points against opponents until they close it out.

just my $.02

Swear Engine

Swear Engine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the same sense that football is a game played by people who almost never kick the ball, mostly running around and throwing it to each other...oh wait. :p

gobthemagician

gobthemagician

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In T20, the general rule is that you go after almost every ball, ESPECIALLY a ball that should be a "high-percentage" boundary. Of course, there are some factors you have to consider though.

If you have a comfortable number of wickets, definitely go for it. If not, you still might want to go for it depending on what the equation is looking like. If you need 40+ runs in the last 5 overs, go for the boundary. You'd be stupid not to punish a bad ball.

Something else to consider, is the batsman set? Because if he is, he will be looking for the shots. And if you're facing a fast bowler, you really don't have any time to be thinking about this, and are probably already have the hitting mindset.

It's a t20 game, go for it.