Texans RB Breaks Ankle

P

PasoTex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ben Tate, the Texans' second round draft pick out of Auburn, broke his ankle in last night's preseason game against the Cardinals. His ankle was broken when he was tackled after a nice run. He will have surgery soon and was lost for the season. The team placed him on injured reserve. This is a big loss to the team as the Texasns were looking to Tate to help them bolster what was an anemic running game in 2009.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's pretty big news, some of my friends were hoping for big results from him in fantasy.

With Slaton looking like he's having some problems, it looks like Arian Foster gets a big bump in value.

A

AntiKhrist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's horrible for him. I'm a Green Bay fan. If Ryan Grant had that happen, especially in a pre-season game, I think a lot of Wisconsin would be crying. lol

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ben Tate, the Texans' second round draft pick out of Auburn, broke his ankle in last night's preseason game against the Cardinals. His ankle was broken when he was tackled after a nice run. He will have surgery soon and was lost for the season. The team placed him on injured reserve. This is a big loss to the team as the Texasns were looking to Tate to help them bolster what was an anemic running game in 2009.

That's not good news the Texans considering they are in the rebuilding roster stage. This will dramatically reduce the odds of making the post and or Super Bowl this season.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not really because Matt Shaub is the reason the Texans are even on the way to become a consistently winning ball club. As long as Shaub stays healthy, the Texans have a shot at the playoffs.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not really because Matt Shaub is the reason the Texans are even on the way to become a consistently winning ball club. As long as Shaub stays healthy, the Texans have a shot at the playoffs.

You can't win with just a passing game. You need some semblance of a running game to balance it out, otherwise you'll have 7-8 deep all game. Slaton looks like his fumbling issues are still persisting, so Arian Foster has a great chance of being the next Pierre Thomas.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't win with just a passing game. You need some semblance of a running game to balance it out, otherwise you'll have 7-8 deep all game. Slaton looks like his fumbling issues are still persisting, so Arian Foster has a great chance of being the next Pierre Thomas.

Well, okay - but the Texans offense didn't get better because of Slaton. Shaub is the key to that offense working. Sure, a solid RB would probably guarantee them the playoffs, but I don't think this injury will affect the Texans that much...

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I wish Foster the best, but Texans fans shouldn't be too high on Foster until he proves he can hold onto the ball as well. He was a fumbling machine when the game was on the line here at UT. UT fans cringed everytime he touched the ball near the endzone.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, okay - but the Texans offense didn't get better because of Slaton. Shaub is the key to that offense working. Sure, a solid RB would probably guarantee them the playoffs, but I don't think this injury will affect the Texans that much...

The one thing that keeps popping in my mind is when Elway finally got a great RB that helped get him over the hump. Marino never had one. In this generation I think Brady had the least help at RB, but he's always had capable guys there especially Faulk. You know Warner had the real Faulk, and Edge performed well during that cardinals sb run. Manning has always had a pretty good rb. And last year Brees had several capable rb's. For the offense to really perform at an elite level, you can't really be shut out in the run game.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The one thing that keeps popping in my mind is when Elway finally got a great RB that helped get him over the hump. Marino never had one. In this generation I think Brady had the least help at RB, but he's always had capable guys there especially Faulk. You know Warner had the real Faulk, and Edge performed well during that cardinals sb run. Manning has always had a pretty good rb. And last year Brees had several capable rb's. For the offense to really perform at an elite level, you can't really be shut out in the run game.

That's true, but I don't think the Texans need an elite offense to make the playoffs.

This injury didn't rob them of a super bowl run.

It just makes it more difficult to win a wild card.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's true, but I don't think the Texans need an elite offense to make the playoffs.

This injury didn't rob them of a super bowl run.

It just makes it more difficult to win a wild card.

imo you can never underestimate just how one injury can make a difference. i think the guy who's out for the whole season is someone they were looking to be their feature back. it's certainly not devastating, but it's hard to say how much they are losing or gaining from this.