Martin

Martin

Scokyl's Scoundrels
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
My boys started learning Freestyle Karate/Kickboxing seven years ago.

My eldest Scott then aged 10 took to it straight away and immediately got put into the seniors class as his instructor said he hit like a man :eek:

My youngest son Kyle then aged 7 didn't like it one bit, said he couldn't do it and that he wouldn't go back.

Both persevered though and within 3 1/2 years Scott became a blackbelt, Kyle became a brown & white belt.

4 years ago we went to a national competition where the age categories were 12-17 years old but different weight categories, Scott fought but froze during his first fight and got beat, it was a horrible feeling for his mam and me to see him getting hit but he loved it and vowed to go back the next year.

The following year both Scott and Kyle fought the national competition, the age groups changing to 13 to 16 year olds for Scott, Kyle was still in the 8-12 year group, Scott earning a bronze medal and Kyle earning a silver qualifying them both to fight for England in the WKC World Championships. After a couple of other smaller national competitions where both boys came back with medals they went to the World Championships Scott coming back with a bronze and Kyle coming back with a silver, both lads coming back with very very proud parents.

The following year both went to the nationals again, trying both points and continuouse fighting styles, Scott Came away a double national champion Kyle coming away with two silvers both qualifying to fight for England again. Unfortunately because of the expense and lack of any interest for the boys getting sponsored we couldn't afford to get them there.

This year at the nationals Scott gained a bronze and silver medal and Kyle unfortunately came up against a 6 time world champion in his first fight in the 13 to 16 year old category got slightly concussed and couldn't fight anymore that day. Scott qualified to fight for England again but again we couldn't afford to get him there.

After those knockbacks the boys still love their kickboxing & I can't see atime in the future when they won't be doing it.

Fortunately a few weeks ago there was a local competition for the first time in a few years Scott fought in the 16 year old category and adults category winning both and becoming the NFKA North East Champion, Kyle won his category and also became the NFKA North East Champion his first gold. The following post there will be a few videos of my boys in action for you all to enjoy.

Martin

Martin

Scokyl's Scoundrels
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Would like to think so Mortis then I could retire :)

B

ballers101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Damn, you should ask them to get into some BJJ and wrestling they could cause some serious problems for MMA fighters...UFC could definitely be a great future for them.

Martin

Martin

Scokyl's Scoundrels
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yeah theres a few MMA clubs starting here at the minute, not sure how good they are.

Don't know of any BJJ clubs at this time

B

ballers101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah theres a few MMA clubs starting here at the minute, not sure how good they are.

Don't know of any BJJ clubs at this time

MMA includes BJJ so they will learn while they learn MMA. MMA is fast growing but it's still relatively unknown and it isn't easy to get into but definitely isn't impossible. Making a good impression is all you need to get into MMA.