Oswalt going to Phillies!

G

Gr3atness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Too bad they arent in the playoffs as of now. Oh well.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All aboard the fail boat

ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this Reds fan is just glad he didnt go to the Cardinals!

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still think them trading Cliff Lee away was bizarre

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still think them trading Cliff Lee away was bizarre

Agreed, especially when they went out and signed Ryan Howard to that crazy extension.

They could have had Halladay, Lee, and Hamels at the top of their rotation, and that's better than switching Lee with Oswalt.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still the sickest deal ever, with the 'stros paying most of Oswalt's buy-out clause. I think they owed him something like 20 mil, and payed 11 of it, with Philly picking up the balance.

Lol robbery.

M

Mr Whatever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
doesnt matter, we alllll know whos gonna win. sadly enough.

U

umpinpa22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
money talks!

phillies are turning into the yanks! best team money can buy a long time suffering pirates fan here! can ya tell! gla at the tables!:(

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
phillies are turning into the yanks! best team money can buy a long time suffering pirates fan here! can ya tell! gla at the tables!:(

Not even close man. I hate the phillies but the yankees' payroll is so much greater.

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately his first start with them he's getting shelled 5-0. This commonly occurs to starting pitchers who are rushed after a trade. Cliff Lee is the perfect example. As soon as he was traded to the Rangers, there was anticipated success. The end result was a complete failure.

L

liamkg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't believe they gave Happ away as we saw Oswalt = loss Happ = win

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's a glimpse of MLB top payrolls:

Attachments

• Snapshot 360.jpg
    Snapshot 360.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 28
P

PasoTex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oswalt is a really good pitcher. He's going to help the Phillies quite a lot.

ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
your right. my bad. i completely read the chart wrong....going back to bed now

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow I didn't know the Red Sox increased their payroll so dramatically. I remember so many years the yankees had like $80-$100 mil more than anyone else. Now it's just $40 mil more :)

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow I didn't know the Red Sox increased their payroll so dramatically. I remember so many years the yankees had like $80-$100 mil more than anyone else. Now it's just $40 mil more :)
I think their payroll was higher when they had Manny Ramirez. The Yankees pretty much set the standard for increasing MLB team salaries skyrocketing. Look what they did Last season. It truly is a proven fact that investing more into your teams players provide a highest probability of winning the World Series.

Kebo11K

Kebo11K

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Astro's are on a 6 game win streak after trading Oswalt and Berkman

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think their payroll was higher when they had Manny Ramirez. The Yankees pretty much set the standard for increasing MLB team salaries skyrocketing. Look what they did Last season. It truly is a proven fact that investing more into your teams players provide a highest probability of winning the World Series.

I remember reading a good article in SI about how payroll makes such a significant difference in teams being able to compete year in and year out. Can't remember the link, but I do remember it stated that if payroll is used well like the Yankees and Red Sox do, they can compete for a title every year. MLB will try to trick you into thinking that there is competitive advantage with 8 different champions over 8 years or something like that, but generally it is the same teams that are competing every year in the upper echelon of payroll (just goes to show how pathetic my mets have been).

The only reason the Yankees don't win the title every year is because of the wild card factor a short 5 or 7 game series will bring, a weaker team can often win if they get on fire. This is definitely less the case when you think of Basketball, where almost always the stronger team prevails.

Astro's are on a 6 game win streak after trading Oswalt and Berkman

Nothing compared to Seattle ripping it after losing Arod and the Big Unit.

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember reading a good article in SI about how payroll makes such a significant difference in teams being able to compete year in and year out. Can't remember the link, but I do remember it stated that if payroll is used well like the Yankees and Red Sox do, they can compete for a title every year. MLB will try to trick you into thinking that there is competitive advantage with 8 different champions over 8 years or something like that, but generally it is the same teams that are competing every year in the upper echelon of payroll (just goes to show how pathetic my mets have been).

The only reason the Yankees don't win the title every year is because of the wild card factor a short 5 or 7 game series will bring, a weaker team can often win if they get on fire. This is definitely less the case when you think of Basketball, where almost always the stronger team prevails.

Nothing compared to Seattle ripping it after losing Arod and the Big Unit.

If payroll is the issue than it's safe to say the Kansas City Royals aren't likely to win the World Series in the next two to three decades.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If payroll is the issue than it's safe to say the Kansas City Royals aren't likely to win the World Series in the next two to three decades.

Not until they get as talented a scouting/management system as Tampa Bay and Minny. And even then they need a lot of other factors to go right.